USB Midi Driver

mm

Question

I have a Cakewalk Music Connector USB Midi cable from an old version of Cakewalk.  I used the cable to connect my piano keyboard to my PC.  I cannot install the drivers because it cannot be installed on the new version of Windows, and an updated driver is not available because Cakewalk discontinued support.  I want to use the cable on Cakewalk by Bandlab.  Is there an universal USB MIDI-IF driver that I can install, or some other workaround?  

5 answers to this question

3 hours ago, mm said:

I have a Cakewalk Music Connector USB Midi cable from an old version of Cakewalk.  I used the cable to connect my piano keyboard to my PC.  I cannot install the drivers because it cannot be installed on the new version of Windows, and an updated driver is not available because Cakewalk discontinued support.  I want to use the cable on Cakewalk by Bandlab.  Is there an universal USB MIDI-IF driver that I can install, or some other workaround?  

At the end of the day, you might find it easer to simply pony up the cash for a replacement USB to MIDI adapter.

The one I use is a Roland Roland UM-ONE mk2 USB MIDI Interface.  This is a little more expensive than the cheap ones you find of Ebay. However, the cheap ones tend to have small internal buffers that cause them to have issues with a high data density (like sysex). 

• Great Idea 1

11 hours ago, Promidi said:

At the end of the day, you might find it easer to simply pony up the cash for a replacement USB to MIDI adapter.

The one I use is a Roland Roland UM-ONE mk2 USB MIDI Interface.  This is a little more expensive than the cheap ones you find of Ebay. However, the cheap ones tend to have small internal buffers that cause them to have issues with a high data density (like sysex). 

I can confirm that, the cheap ones choke on pitch bends!

Have you tried just plugging it in? A lot of those cheap MIDI cables used class compliant drivers and will work without a specific driver.  If it is not class compliant you might get lucky and find that there is a driver in the Microsoft driver database and you can find it by searching the web for a driver from within device manager.

Edited by slartabartfast

if you're dependent on external MIDI, invest in a good quality unit, the cheap ones ($5-$30) mostly use a chip (or two) which don't support most of the MIDI spec, or support it incorrectly. i've tried about 10 inexpensive models which were all rated decently and all failed to support all the protocols. i bought a secondhand MIDISport 2x2 on EBay for $50 and viola! problems went away. there are several small pro-grade MIDI boxes out there now. $150 or so. MOTU devices while pricing are also very nice.