Remove Silence - can't we just SPLIT clips?

Multi-Sonik

Question

Hello BandLabers.

I'm goofing around with the REMOVE SILCENCE function and I thought we had a way to just had it SPLIT CLIPS (retaining audio data in order to adjust the clip's borders and fades afterwards...). But is seems that it is not the case. When trying to "roll out" clip borders, there is just ... silence... 

Is there something I am missing here? The only work-around I can think of currently, is to set some kind of "forgiving" strip silence parameters first (still keeping some  "to cut out" stuff) and afterwards complete the cleaning process manually... 

I also tried apply a EXP / GATE prior to removing silence, but I have not been able to set it up correctly in a way that I would not need to edit like hell anyway afterwards yet... so no proper "improvement" here...

Regards.

3 answers to this question

it's usually a balance of the thresholds, but with anything automatic, you're letting a computer make the decisions - I recommend you make a copy of the audio clip(s) so you can tweak them later... you could use the take lanes for the copy and then do any "comping" and make adjustments where the remove silence was too aggressive.

image.png.b25f3a2221bd7629380fa20304d06e49.png

another option is to use Melodyne to strip out noise artifacts or Izotope RX-7/8 to "fix it", and/or gate/compress it (or even all of the above).

image.png.476e4cb41a16533bedd95f2f09492b42.pngimage.png.a1af0858e8e0b88ebd6dff3f531ba81c.png

• Like 1

yeah, watching the Waves series of pro mixers - there seems to be many times where they have 5-10 duplicated tracks that they "comp" for applying different effects likes echoes, stutters, hard tuning, etc. i was surprised to see even simple songs that have 4-5 instruments and 2-3 vocals having 50-60+ tracks. long gone are days like "Tapestry" with 9-10 tracks per song...

Edited by fossile
  • Thanks 1