Toontrack Classic Rock EZX

cclarry

Just now, DeeringAmps said:

Why are we not surprised! 🙃 (i mean that in the most respectful way, Ed; I hope you know that)

But, how does it sound? What's the midi like, and why not the SDX...

t

I always buy all SDXs and all EZXs.

Probably won't dig into both until later.

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

This was a bad move, I'm listening to the examples as I write...
Amber has to be Little Miss Lover; no?
I'm not placing the Sparkle kit yet.
Kicks and Snares!

t

Ok, I'm are tieing my hands behind my back, I is (because Ed is Am) waiting for a real sell!
This is my final (gawd I hope) word on this subject.
'Course you can't rely on Toon, like you can IKM, to deeply discount a day or two, (please excuse me)
a month or two after release...
Yikes, the plot sickens, can he resist....

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, DeeringAmps said:

This was a bad move, I'm listening to the examples as I write...
Amber has to be Little Miss Lover; no?
I'm not placing the Sparkle kit yet.

Copying some of their text:

‘The Amber Kit,’ which represents a reproduction of the acrylic kit that John Bonham used during the now- historic “The Song Remains the Same” recordings in 1976, has a truly unique, open-sounding and blaring tone. To contrast, ‘The Sparkle Kit,’ also a homage to a setup frequently used by Bonham in several classic sessions, presents a more traditional tonal palette while still offering that mandatory, deafening rock sound.

The kit names are also shared with the SDX: https://www.toontrack.com/product/legacy-of-rock-sdx/

So it's an all-Bonham inspired library? Interesting they didn't take the Mitch Mitchell kit from the SDX. The Stones kit only has two toms so I can see that being more of an issue since they're only including two kits.

'Course you can't rely on Toon, like you can IKM, to deeply discount a day or two, (please excuse me) a month or two after release...

If there are three EZXs you want, you can pick up Toontrack's "value pack" of 3 generic EZX codes. When you register them you can pick from all the EZXs. Some other people here are more familiar about the details, but it seems more commonly carried on EU sites (timespace), and is $148 on thomann. Though, note that the price per EZX is lower but you're spending more money total this way :). 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, simon said:

what does this give you over what you get in the Legacy SDX ? I assumed this was a subset of that ?

Production ready kits vs Ability to roll your own deeper production values on the kit. Or so they say.

• Thanks 1

Well I haven't purchased much lately, so i splashed out and got the Legacy of Rock SDX - got it from Time and Space in the UK as I had a few points saved up, no vat, so I paid around $120 which I thought wasn't too bad.

It sounds spectacular - I am just writing some new stuff at the moment, so I went into a couple of tracks and replaced what I usually use, the Progressive Foundry library and the difference was, well Spectacular!!!!

It really sounds so live

This one is going to get a lot of use, especially on the more "rock" type tracks

Nigel

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Great Idea 1

In this instance I think the SDX is the one to go for. But i think we could still achieve a lot if we simply opt for the EZX. It does seem like i have been waiting for years for this. I dabble with SD3 but mainly to tweak my drum midi. I then tend to use SSD5 on my midi. I am hoping this SDX or EZX pulls me back to working with one drum module, that being SD3.  🤔

Edited by Mark Stow
  • Like 1