ASIO causing hanging - help!

Scott Kendrick

Sorry but I"ve been going at this for months.... I'm trying to use the ASIO drivers associated with my Roland TD-25 drum module... when I try to select ASIO driver mode it's stuck on Real-tek and won't let me select my TD-25. The system also is in a constant busy state with cursor as hour glass and I can't do anything.

Has anyone set up cakewalk successfully to record from Roland drum module and if so can you please suggest settings on each of the Audio and Midi setting screens.  See related thread here:  

image.png.80b189bccdae38e5079f1c12aa604345.png

Uninstall the Realtek ASIO driver. It is buggy and does not perform any better than the regular Windows drivers.

WRT the image above both input and output devices must be deselected before changing ASIO drivers. This is because the ASIO spec permits using one driver at a time.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Scott Kendrick said:

OK - that seemed to work. Thanks I will call this solved. Unfortunately I'm not having much luck turning down my buffer with ASIO, but at least it's working. 

Thanks a bunch!

How you get to where you can alter your ASIO Buffer Size varies, from one company's ASIO driver user interface to the next.  Sometimes, you access the UI through the ASIO Panel button in Cakewalk Preferences, while ASIO driver UI's from other companies may require you to access their UI through opening an app outside of Cakewalk - these driver apps typically are accessed by expanding the Windows System Tray, at the very bottom right of your display monitor, and either single or double clicking on their driver app there, to open it. 

If trying to access the ASIO driver UI through the ASIO Panel button does not work, and you also do not see a driver app running in the Windows System Tray, you may have to find the driver app by hitting your Windows Start Button, then scroll down the apps on the left, until you find the folder for the company that makes the audio interface, then expand that folder, and look there for a driver app that you can launch.  (IF this is what you end up having to do, I suggest right-clicking on that driver app, and clicking on Pin To Start, so that it is easier to get to it for future needs.

I suggest, by the way, with recording using an ASIO Buffer Size of 128, to start with (you might be able to lower it to 64 or possibly lower, though that does make the CPU work harder, and can eventually be too small a buffer - affecting the streaming audio quality).  Anyways, I record with an ASIO Buffer Size of 128 samples, and when I move on to the mixing phase of a project, I alter the ASIO Buffer Size to either 1024 or 2048, depending on the audio interface make/model I am using.  The smaller buffer size, when recording, keeps latency small enough to where there is no detectable lag.  When mixing, you WANT a large ASIO Buffer Size, to give the more resource-intensive plugins, such as a convolution reverb, or one that uses Linear Phase processing, to have enough room to properly do their processing.

Best wishes for success, to you,

Bob Bone

• Like 1