Plugins Missing

AndyB01

Hi All

I had SPlat before the whole CbB rescue so have carried on using the full features with CbB - today I installed the latest update and some new plugins (spitfire audio bbcso) but something has gone a bit awry and I'd  say 90% of my plugins and VSTs are now missing (including the new ones). I've tried running the plugin manager and I get some error linked to Waves and the scan crashes out. I'm rapidly concluding that the best way to fix this is a full uninstall and re-install of CbB but is there a way to do this that preserves access to my SPlat premium content or is that going to be lost (I still have the old Sonar installation files).

Any advice on this one would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Andy.

Quick question - were you keeping your Cakewalk by Bandlag updated all along, or was it running a version from some time ago, when you brought it current?

Also, can you please detail the path where you have these 'missing' plugins installed?

And, you should run VstScan.exe from Preferences, rather than from within the Cakewalk Plugin Manager.  You will find it under the File category, in the VST Settings sub-category, and you will see the check boxes for doing the VST scan, at Cakewalk startup, in the Scan Options section in the middle of that dialog box window.

I suggest you check the boxes for: Scan in Sandbox, and Generate Scan Log.  You can look at the Scan Log output afterwards.  *I only use the Generate Scan Log option when finding plugins failing to show up in the inventory available to insert into projects.

You might also hit F1 when you get that VST Settings dialog box window open, in Preferences, which will bring up the help documentation for that set of Preferences options.  This will let you review the documentation on the available options there.

For example, if you temporarily change the Automatic Background Scan option, from its drop-down, to Manual Scan, that will then open up the ability to also select the options: Rescan Failed Plugins and/or Rescan All Plugins.  I will paste a screenshot of the VST Settings dialog box window at the bottom of this post.  Since you have already scanned those plugins that are now missing, you will need to rescan failed plugins, or rescan all plugins, to get the scan results for those plugins written to the VstScan.exe scan log file.  That scan log results are written to: C:\Users\rober\AppData\Roaming\Cakewalk\Logs (replace rober with your user name).  Please note that new scans are appended to the end of the log file, so  you might consider deletimg the log file prior to  running a scan, so that you have less to wade through.

By the way, in the past, some VST 3 versions of plugins, particularly the Waves ones, have failed to scan, after various updates - and if so, you may want to try the VST 2 versions of those, to see if those show up and work - -while waiting for whatever broke to get resolved.

Also, if you have VST 2 plugins installed to the C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3 folder, some time back, VstScan.exe was modified to ignore scanning those, so it that is where you have any VST 2 plugins located - moving those to a different folder that is in your VST Scan Path(s) should allow those to be scanned by the VstScan.exe, and hopefully add those to your VST inventory, available to insert into your projects.

Lastly, if you go into Cakewalk Plugin Manager, you can click on VSTi instruments, and then click on the radio button at the bottom left of that window, that is labeled Show Excluded, and there may be plugin entries shown there, with a reason on why they were excluded.

Here is the screenshot I mentioned above:

image.png.36521000258c93f01acd2d6d0d3f38d7.png

Bob Bone

10 minutes ago, Robert Bone said:

image.png.36521000258c93f01acd2d6d0d3f38d7.png

WRT this image, the last scan path entry is redundant.

Redundant entries should be avoided. They cause the scanner to work harder than necessary and have resulted in scan failures.

When it comes to the OP the best source for correcting Waves scan issues is Waves support.

6 minutes ago, scook said:

WRT this image, the last scan path entry is redundant.

Redundant entries should be avoided. They cause the scanner to work harder than necessary and have resulted in scan failures.

When it comes to the OP the best source for correcting Waves scan issues is Waves support.

Never noticed the redundant entry - thanks.  Also, I predate many abbreviations - what is WRT? (With Regards To?)

Thanks all for those replies, I was keeping CbB updated. In the end I uninstalled and reinstalled CbB in advanced mode and it's  done a full repair job. All the ghost and dud plugins are gone, all my original SPlat content is back and working.  Happy days. Andy

• Like 1

On 9/22/2020 at 1:24 AM, scook said:

WRT is a TLA that likely predates both of us. I encountered years before the WWW and cell phones existed

With Respect To (although I suppose it may be "With Regards To" also)

OK - so what is TLA? Never mind - looked it up - Three Letter Abbreviation.   I never encountered that abbreviation before.