tore the studio down yesterday...

bats brew

ah, sundays.....
a wide open day with nothing to do but..... frikin' everything!!
LOL
chores, yard, car, etc....

i said ***** it.

i've been meaning to re-arrange my studio ever since i started on the 'elemental' project...
but wanted to wait until that was finished, hate changing horses in the middle of the stream...

NOW, granted, my studio is small, but stripped down and built for speed of production, for my own purposes...

so, now that elemental is done (at the cd printers now...),
i decided to take everything completely out of the room,
and re-arrange it.

i've got speaker cabs i'm not using anymore,
a demeter isolation cabinet that is basically just a great big ship anchor,
i've got my last set of monitors that i can't seem to bear to let go,
i've got power amps i don't use, mic preamps i dont' use,
just a bunch of collected crap!!

so i boxed it all up, using the collection as my first serious bass trap (i cannot afford to properly treat my mix/track room, but i do have SOME treatments, including using IK Multimedia ARC room correction software, which really works well)...

found a new position in the room to set the video and playback monitors,
new positions for everything, basically everything now is a mirror image of what it was, as well as rotated 90 degrees in the room...

wow, much better.
i still have some excess low end coming off the monitors, because the wall behind them is hollow, and i'm in the middle of the long wall, instead of at the end of the room on the short wall, as before.

the takeaway:
yes, moving positions in any room changes the sound you hear,
sometimes worse, sometimes better.

but often times than not, cleaning house and getting rid of spider carcasses and dust and whatnot is worth the effort all by itself.

• Like 1

I live in a sort of denial....no it's not a river in Egypt.

When I'm in denial I try to ignore that my studio has needed some shall we say "re organization".  My present excuse is that I'm  moving to another space I'm working on. My projects tend to take awhile. The space I'm eyeing is full of my wife's stuff and some of mine too and I honestly don't know what to do with all of it. I have been contemplating sneaking a some of her stuff at a time out in the weekly trash but I'm afraid she would be on to me. She's  *ahem*  a collector of various items. I'll leave it at that. Most of it is left over from a yard sale that didn't do very well. I would love to give it all away. More likely I'm going to pay someone to help me get rid of it. That is, if I can talk her into parting with it. We still have her dads car from 8 years ago in the driveway. One one level it's sweet.  Suffice it to say I have room if I could just utilize it.

Hats off to you Bat on getting things set up better. I am envious.