PSA: Themes created prior to 2020.04 may need tweaking for Marker Lock status

Colin Nicholls

The 2020.04 release included this bug fix:

Marker view 'Lk' column does not show locked status in Tungsten theme.

User @fonolit discovered that, when he/she used the "Blue Aston" theme, the lock indicator was NOT displaying in the Markers view, and that this was a change post-2020.04.

I have verified that my own custom themes that were created prior to 2020.04 also no longer show the locked status in the Markers view, in 2020.09. Note that the themes do NOT supply a customized lock image - they rely on the original theme default (which presumably came from a pre-2020.04 version of the original theme).

The solution/work-around appears to be to provide a custom image in the theme, even if it is just a copy of the original default. After saving that change, the Lk symbol image now shows up in the application (with the theme selected of course).

UPDATE:

Okay I see that this WAS included in Morten's original post about 2020.04, but at the time I completely missed the subtlety about the Marker Lock status. I'm gonna let this post stand in case there is anyone else out there as dense as me.

SECOND UPDATE:

Some folks have reported that their themes are okay without additional tweaking. Bottom line is, I guess, test first. But i have reported a bug regarding new themes being created based on Mercury in 2020.09 having invisible Marker Lock indicators, so I don't think this story is over yet.

Edited by Colin Nicholls

40 minutes ago, sjoens said:

Not sure about "post-2020.04" as even SPlat fails to show it in anything other than Mercury.

Please explain how and where we can add it.

I literally just edited and saved the element without changes. The Theme Editor picked up the file stamp change (as it does) and loaded the image as a custom Theme Element. After saving the theme, and opening Cakewalk, I could now see the lock status.

23 hours ago, Colin Nicholls said:

UPDATE:   We can't say we weren't warned - Morten posted about changes in 2020.04 and it included the Markers view change, and somehow I completely missed that specific thing.

Not a Cakewalk bug, then? Just that people didn't update their themes to include the icon?  Not your fault if you missed this one, Colin; your Theme Guide is still an amazingly competent resource.

image.png.d17a4cf4a2dd99909070ffda20d082fd.png     image.png.54f8ac5272fe437cd489a661f32aa4f7.png   

20 hours ago, Colin Nicholls said:

I literally just edited and saved the element without changes. The Theme Editor picked up the file stamp change (as it does) and loaded the image as a custom Theme Element. After saving the theme, and opening Cakewalk, I could now see the lock status.

Yup!  Thx!!

I'm not convinced there isn't still a bug here, in 2020.09. We shouldn't be required to edit/save the LOCK icon in order to have it show up in a brand newly-created theme. And yet:

• Open Theme Editor
  • Create new theme based on Mercury
  • Make some trivial unrelated change in order to enable the SAVE button
  • SAVE the theme as "test"
  • Open Cakewalk; Change theme to "test"
  • Open test project with existing locked markers, or create a new project with marker and lock it

Observe:

You don't see the lock indicator against the marker row.

However, this works as expected if you use TUNGSTEN as a base theme.

I've submitted a bug report.

Edited by Colin Nicholls

3 hours ago, Colin Nicholls said:

. . .

• Open Theme Editor
  • Create new theme based on Mercury
  • . . .

However, this works as expected if you use TUNGSTEN as a base theme.

I see what you mean.  I tweaked Alternate # 1 with both, saved each with a new name, With Tungsten as the base, the Marker Locked Indicator shows up; with Mercury as the base, it doesn't--until the image is refreshed.

This proves that you are the best possible person to have undertaken the development of the Theme Editing Guide!

BTW, I am guessing it might be that the wrong Mercury file was included in the installation.

(1)          image.png.79f318ae07285dc9794d4727d2a1ec34.png        (2)     image.png.7b28660f21775cf793cb18c6ad0ff71d.png

(1) shows the properties when Mercury is used as the based and then saved.

(2) shows the properties when the element was saved unchanged [i.e., refreshed] and then Mercury was saved.

On the other hand, the version of Tungsten included in the installation seems to have the correct element:

image.png.42af21b5d03bd2dd15ed36a25817af76.png

Edited by User 905133
  • Like 1

All good it's fixed but I don't understand saying your Themes are updated for 2020.9 as the lock indicator wasn't newly added or changed in 2020.9 so now the community will think others are outdated based on this, for example all mine are listed as Updated for 2020.4 but have needed no update for the Locked Marker Indicator to work.

Same here. I checked my themes the moment user fonolit mentioned the change being made to Tungsten according to the CbB 2020.04 release document, but for some unknown reason none of my themes needed any modification of the marker lock indicator. They all just worked.

• Like 1

Well... um... okay then. I'll alter the top post.

I'm sorry about the confusion regarding "updated for 2020.09" but I just meant that the latest version of the theme was updated at that time, not that it necessarily accommodated additional changes in Cakewalk 2020.09.

Edited by Colin Nicholls