Computer shuts down?

Yury

Question

Hi

I don't know if its coincidence or not, but after last Cakewalk by the BandLab update my computer sometimes shuts down while I am working on the musical project with Cakewalk without any warning or reason. It happens sudden. Any thought on that, may be someone has the same experience  or solutions. It never happen when I am working or running any other soft.

12 answers to this question

If by "computer sometimes shuts down" you mean the PC switches off for no reason as if you've pulled the power, then the first thing to check are your PC's fans in your GPU and your CPU are actually spinning or are not clogged with dust.  Excessively high temperatures can cause this.

This will require taking thing the cover off.

It could also indicate a problem with your power supply.  The less likely cause is a faulty motherboard

If you're not comfortable with any of that, then you might need to take your PC to a professional.

If you mean that Cakewalk drops you back to the desktop, then that's likely to be a plugin causing this. 

• Like 1

Yes I mean PC switches off. You're correct about fans and high temperature. A am a computer technician , so i am very familiar with overheating problem, but why it never happened before the update. I have pretty powerful computer: Processor i7-9700  K @ 3.60GHz, SSD western digital black, 16Gb of RAM my projects is never more then 15-25 tracks. I don't use a lot of effects as well. So my computer suppose to handle that without overheating. It never shuts down  when I am running other soft or even few programs simultaneously. Its really strange. 

Anyway Thank you for your reply 

You still could be looking at a hardware problem of some kind.   Perhaps only Cakewalk is using the PC in such a way as to make the issue manifest.

Maybe do a stress test of some kind - although, even that might not make it fault

Earlier this year, I had an issue where my DAW PC would mysteriously reboot (I have set my BIOS to go to last state on resumption from power loss).  Sometimes the only way I knew it did this were various kernel power events in the system logs.

Then one day, out of the blue, while running "Space Engine" (A resource hog), the PC just shut down and would not come back up.  That ended up being the power supply.  Replaced it with a Corsair Corsair RM-750x.  So far, no reboots.

I know you probably don't have spare power supplies in your back pocket.....  but, if you're able, see if you can replace the power supply.

I had an HP that would just Shut Down while I was working. It eventually did it once with no music playing and I heard a tick. My main power switch was shorting. I wiggled enough wires until I found it. It actually arced.  I was also suspecting my power supply.  Intermittent problems are normally the hardest to find.     Good luck .       mark

Power supplies, bad switches, loose cables, overheating (fan issues), a failing motherboard, bad RAM, just about any number of hardware issues could cause a PC to shutdown. If you don't know how to troubleshoot PC hardware, take it to someone who does.

On the other hand, a software or driver error that drastic usually results in an error code, or a blue screen (BSOD). You do know how to set your computer to freeze on a BSOD (with the error code), and not automatically restart, right? > https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/69012-enable-disable-bsod-automatic-restart-windows-10-a.html

Edited by abacab
  • Like 2

I have a similar problem.

Cakewalk works just fine until i play back something. Sometimes suddenly the PC switches off and reboot.
A reliable way to reproduce this error:

•     Start Cakewalk (2021.06 Build 53, 64 bit)
  •     Create new Project (Empty Project.cwt)
  •     Add SI-Drum Kit
  •     Add some Notes (e.g. just one B4)
  •     Press the Play-Button
  •     Press the Return to Start Button (Ctrl+Pos1)
  •     Press Stop

This works every time. Sadly i can't find any additional information. Not even a blue screen.

I can play  and stop without a problem. I assume that it only crashes, when i do this play-stop procedure, but until now i didn't pay attention to it while working with Cakewalk.
The CPU is at about 6%, RAM 25%. I can render with Blender and Resolve without any troubles, so i don't think this is related to my PC. Maybe something very audio related.

24 minutes ago, Martin Musik said:

Cakewalk works just fine until i play back something. Sometimes suddenly the PC switches off and reboot.
A reliable way to reproduce this error:

•     Start Cakewalk (2021.06 Build 53, 64 bit)
  •     Create new Project (Empty Project.cwt)
  •     Add SI-Drum Kit
  •     Add some Notes (e.g. just one B4)
  •     Press the Play-Button
  •     Press the Return to Start Button (Ctrl+Pos1)
  •     Press Stop

This works every time. Sadly i can't find any additional information. Not even a blue screen.

I can play  and stop without a problem. I assume that it only crashes, when i do this play-stop procedure, but until now i didn't pay attention to it while working with Cakewalk.
The CPU is at about 6%, RAM 25%. I can render with Blender and Resolve without any troubles, so i don't think this is related to my PC. Maybe something very audio related.

Tried a new power supply - just to rule it out?  I know you “don't think this is related to your PC".  However, this is definitely looking like a hardware issue of some kind....

• Great Idea 1

38 minutes ago, Martin Musik said:

Follow the link  to Tenforums and ensure that your PC is NOT setup to restart after a "blue screen". You want it to halt so that you can note the error code...

If you are not getting a blue screen (aka: typically a driver failure), then you more than likely have serious hardware issues with your power supply or motherboard.

On 7/25/2021 at 10:59 PM, Promidi said:

Tried a new power supply - just to rule it out?

I'll see if I can borrow a suitable power supply. Just buying on e for testing is a bit too expensive, especially since it's only half a year old.

Unfortunately, I have little knowledge about hardware. Can you contribute me some background knowledge or terms to google?
Since my last post I have run photogrammetry and the PC ran without problems for several days under full load.

But if you can't reproduce my error, then something must be wrong with my PC. I will investigate it further.

On 7/25/2021 at 11:15 PM, abacab said:

Follow the link  to Tenforums and ensure that your PC is NOT setup to restart after a "blue screen". You want it to halt so that you can note the error code...

I don't get any message. Even the errorlogs i know (windows+cakewalk) are empty at the time of the event.

18 minutes ago, Martin Musik said:

I'll see if I can borrow a suitable power supply. Just buying on e for testing is a bit too expensive, especially since it's only half a year old.

Unfortunately, I have little knowledge about hardware. Can you contribute me some background knowledge or terms to google?
Since my last post I have run photogrammetry and the PC ran without problems for several days under full load.

If you “have little knowledge about hardware”, then to be safe, you might need to take to where you bought it from and see if they can help you with the diagnostics. 

You previously mention that “Cakewalk works just fine until I play back something”.  Are you able to temporarily try another audio interface (or even your onboard one) and try the steps with the SI-Drum Kit.

One other though, what are your audio settings in Cakewalk?  Sample rate, bit depth and buffer size and driver mode. Maybe try 44100 hz, 24bit and anything greater than 256 samples and ASIO drivermode.

I am really clutching as straws here.