Yury

Computer shuts down?

Question

Hi

I don't know if its coincidence or not, but after last Cakewalk by the BandLab update my computer sometimes shuts down while I am working on the musical project with Cakewalk without any warning or reason. It happens sudden. Any thought on that, may be someone has the same experience  or solutions. It never happen when I am working or running any other soft.

5 answers to this question

If by "computer sometimes shuts down" you mean the PC switches off for no reason as if you've pulled the power, then the first thing to check are your PC's fans in your GPU and your CPU are actually spinning or are not clogged with dust.  Excessively high temperatures can cause this.

This will require taking thing the cover off.

It could also indicate a problem with your power supply.  The less likely cause is a faulty motherboard

If you're not comfortable with any of that, then you might need to take your PC to a professional.

If you mean that Cakewalk drops you back to the desktop, then that's likely to be a plugin causing this. 

• Like 1

Yes I mean PC switches off. You're correct about fans and high temperature. A am a computer technician , so i am very familiar with overheating problem, but why it never happened before the update. I have pretty powerful computer: Processor i7-9700  K @ 3.60GHz, SSD western digital black, 16Gb of RAM my projects is never more then 15-25 tracks. I don't use a lot of effects as well. So my computer suppose to handle that without overheating. It never shuts down  when I am running other soft or even few programs simultaneously. Its really strange. 

Anyway Thank you for your reply 

You still could be looking at a hardware problem of some kind.   Perhaps only Cakewalk is using the PC in such a way as to make the issue manifest.

Maybe do a stress test of some kind - although, even that might not make it fault

Earlier this year, I had an issue where my DAW PC would mysteriously reboot (I have set my BIOS to go to last state on resumption from power loss).  Sometimes the only way I knew it did this were various kernel power events in the system logs.

Then one day, out of the blue, while running "Space Engine" (A resource hog), the PC just shut down and would not come back up.  That ended up being the power supply.  Replaced it with a Corsair Corsair RM-750x.  So far, no reboots.

I know you probably don't have spare power supplies in your back pocket.....  but, if you're able, see if you can replace the power supply.

I had an HP that would just Shut Down while I was working. It eventually did it once with no music playing and I heard a tick. My main power switch was shorting. I wiggled enough wires until I found it. It actually arced.  I was also suspecting my power supply.  Intermittent problems are normally the hardest to find.     Good luck .       mark

If it's a power issue, I would swap in a new power supply.

I assume that you have a way of monitoring CPU and GPU temps, as well as fan RPMs and have ruled out overheating?