New Installation on new computer MIDI problem

wahlterh

Hi there.

Got myself a USB PCIe card with 4 ports. I have 4 "USB-to-MIDI cables". When putting in fist cable in first port, Cakewalk shows 1 I nput and 2 different output ( see pic). 

Why? 

Which output should I use?

When connecting (USBtoMIDI-cables)  to all 4 USB- ports, not all ports shows up in cakewalk.  Have tested all cables, one at a time and they show up in Cakewalk.

Limitations?

Capture.PNG

Most probably the cables aren't designed to have more than one of them plugged in at the same time.

The other issue with those cables is that the internal buffer size is ridiculously small.  It can't cope with receiving MIDI data at USB speeds, whilst pumping it out at MIDI speeds (which is much slower). 

It'll probably be ok for one channel playing/recording notes,  but as soon as you start using pitch bend or modulation, the buffer will fill up and you'll get dropped notes and missing CC changes.  Forget SysEx or Aftertouch- it'll not cope at all.

Think about getting a dedicated multi-port interface - I'd have recommended the M-Audio MidiSport 4x4 but it looks like its discontinued. You might be able to get a second hand one though.

Another good one is the MidiTech MidiFace 4x4:  https://www.thomann.de/gb/miditech_midiface_4x4.htm

I've got the 8x8 version and it's fantastic.

Note: Not all multi-port interfaces are created equally... I've tried others that are basically using the same chip that your MIDI cable uses, and they've been essentially useless.  I do know the MidiSport 4x4 and MidiFace 4x4 work well - I can't speak for other ones.

• Great Idea 1

• 3 years later...
On 12/4/2023 at 2:11 PM, Steve Schultz said:

I am having trouble getting a signal to a midi track using the midisport 4x4.  I am coming out of an old keboard controller into the midisport  and out to the computer using the usb.  Cakewalk recognizes the midisport but no signal.  Am I doing something wrong?

My Midisport 4 x 4 works fine here in WIndows 11 and latest CW

• 2 months later...

i am seeing the light come on with tine midi in.  I'm sorry for being so late in responding to all your comments.  I really appreciate all the help.  Glenn got me able to record one track.  And I did have it setup to hear and see the track recording the second track.  I stupidly quit and didn't record it.  It was garbage, but just something to see that it worked.  The nest day I the first track played back but the second track that I hadn't recorded wouldn't record.  I'll try from scratch.  I followed Glenn's instructions and I will try it again.  Again, thank all of you for your help.