Bug: Step sequencer position indicator not working in looped sections

GreenLight

Hi all!

Can someone verify this bug?

If you have a step sequencer part that you loop (by dragging it out horizontally), the vertical playback position indicator in the step sequencer window only scrolls by once, but not on any subsequent looped repetitions.

One would expect the current position indicator also to loop in the step sequencer, so that you always see where you are, making it easier to program patterns.

I'm still on 2020.01 due to intensive projects, but I haven't seen anything that indicates that this would be fixed in newer releases.

Thanks for any help.

image.png.e417e56fe8fd6f1816f6aea7bdc9b414.png

Edited by GreenLight
Clarified topic name

I just tried this. I took a midi drum groove, selected 'Convert Midi To Step Sequencer' then looped a portion of it and it worked fine, the step sequencer returned to the start of the loop and cycled with the loop.  In your example above, are you saying you created the clip yourself then groove clip looped it ?

3 hours ago, Millzy said:

I just tried this. I took a midi drum groove, selected 'Convert Midi To Step Sequencer' then looped a portion of it and it worked fine, the step sequencer returned to the start of the loop and cycled with the loop.  In your example above, are you saying you created the clip yourself then groove clip looped it ?

Thanks a lot for helping out! 😀

Yes, exactly. I manually created a MIDI clip using the step sequencer, and then groove clip looped it.

Did I understand you correctly: you imported an existing MIDI clip, that you converted and then loooped? And then the step sequencer playback indicator worked in the looped parts as well?

What version of Cakewalk are you on?

19 hours ago, GreenLight said:

Did I understand you correctly: you imported an existing MIDI clip, that you converted and then loooped? And then the step sequencer playback indicator worked in the looped parts as well?

Yes, however the step sequencer has a maximum pattern length of 64 beats, so only the first 64 beats of the pattern I converted was visible.

19 hours ago, GreenLight said:

What version of Cakewalk are you on?

Latest, 2020.09

OK, now I understand what you're saying, I created a step sequencer pattern from scratch, then stretched it out to double it's time. I then looped the whole lot but only saw the initial pattern on the sequencer, not the second stretched out one. I'm not sure that's a bug though, don't know. I think by design it's meant to only show the one pattern, loop that and change it up until your happy, then stretch it out.  

On 9/20/2020 at 7:17 PM, GreenLight said:

One would expect the current position indicator also to loop in the step sequencer, so that you always see where you are, making it easier to program patterns.

It does to a degree, it lights up the steps and beats when the track is playing, but when it's not, I agree there's no visual indication of where you are at. Maybe a feature request may be the next step?

On 9/20/2020 at 5:17 AM, GreenLight said:

Hi all!

Can someone verify this bug?

If you have a step sequencer part that you loop (by dragging it out horizontally), the vertical playback position indicator in the step sequencer window only scrolls by once, but not on any subsequent looped repetitions.

I'm still on 2020.01 due to intensive projects, but I haven't seen anything that indicates that this would be fixed in newer releases.

Thanks for any help.

image.png.e417e56fe8fd6f1816f6aea7bdc9b414.png

Hi @GreenLight, I was able to reproduce your issue, so I went ahead and logged it, so it's in our system for when we have a chance to look at it. Thanks!

• Like 1

On 9/22/2020 at 3:03 PM, Jonathan Sasor said:

Hi @GreenLight, I was able to reproduce your issue, so I went ahead and logged it, so it's in our system for when we have a chance to look at it. Thanks!

@Jonathan Sasor Excellent news, thank you! A fix for this will make the experience of programming step sequencer patterns a lot easier, at least with my workflow. 😀

@Millzy Thanks for your input and help with testing this! 👍 I like to stretch out the my pattern during programming, to see how it works across several different parts of the project. Or maybe I just have a classic problem of committing... 😂

• Like 1