CPU Heat Sink Swith "P" or "Q". What is this for?

balinas

I had to get a new Intel Socket 1366 Copper Core/Aluminum Heat Sink for my computer.  The old one wasn't cooling as effectively as it had been.  This new one cools much better!

On the side of the unit is a small switch labeled "P" and "Q".  Does anyone know what this might do?  There are no instructions/manual, and I can't find anything on the Intel site.

Thanks!image.png.6775665dc65dbca650fca2bdf0f508da.png

Edited by balinas
add picture

I believe Q = "quiet" mode (low speed, independent of speed setting from bios or controller). P = "power" mode where speed is set to target (from bios or from a fan control).

Sometimes it is just two fixed speeds (Q = lower speed, P = higher, depending on the fan)

Edited by Brando
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Brando said:

I believe Q = "quiet" mode (low speed, independent of speed setting from bios or controller). P = "power" mode where speed is set to target (from bios or from a fan control).

Sometimes it is just two fixed speeds (Q = lower speed, P = higher, depending on the fan)

That makes sense.  Thanks very much for your response.  I will see how the CPU temps run on the Q setting.  Then try it on the P setting as well.  

Hi,

Yes, as Brando said, the fan has two speeds, Quiet and Performance.  The difference is in the RPM rate (hence, noise) of the fan.     If the noise is not bothersome, stick with performance.   You will achieve better cooling.

Edit:  I believe the noise increase in P is about 10%.

Edited by aether.roots
adding more info
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, aether.roots said:

Hi,

Yes, as Brando said, the fan has two speeds, Quiet and Performance.  The difference is in the RPM rate (hence, noise) of the fan.     If the noise is not bothersome, stick with performance.   You will achieve better cooling.

Edit:  I believe the noise increase in P is about 10%.

Thanks.  Fan speed on 'Q' is about 1205 to 1275 RPM.  Fan speed on 'P' is 1457 up to 1900 under load.  I do note a higher pitched whine when it got to 1850, but before that the sound was about the same.  It seems I am a little limited with  CPU fans as the motherboard is a little older, and I have to use a CPU fan with those Intel push pins as there are no nuts/mounts on the back side of the motherboard to hold a different fan with screws.  I am trying to hold off on removing the motherboard just to put a mounting bracket back there.  At that point, I would probably just get an updated mobo.  

thanks again!

Edited by balinas
add screws/nuts

1 hour ago, balinas said:

Thanks.  Fan speed on 'Q' is about 1205 to 1275 RPM.  Fan speed on 'P' is 1457 up to 1900 under load.  I do note a higher pitched whine when it got to 1850, but before that the sound was about the same.  It seems I am a little limited with  CPU fans as the motherboard is a little older, and I have to use a CPU fan with those Intel push pins as there are no nuts/mounts on the back side of the motherboard to hold a different fan with screws.  I am trying to hold off on removing the motherboard just to put a mounting bracket back there.  At that point, I would probably just get an updated mobo.  

thanks again!

I hate Intel stock coolers with the push pins.   Most cases these days allow for a heat sink upgrade so you don't have to take the board out.

1 hour ago, RobertWS said:

I wonder if this is where the phrase, "mind your P's and Q's" comes from.

And here I thought it was a reference to watching how many pints and quarts one was consuming in an English pub before noon!