"Write" function suddenly won't take edits

Michael McBroom

This is strange.  I use the Write function often with audio clips to control a clip's volume -- most often if I want a fade-out to occur. Just now I tried doing this with a short audio clip. Same as always, I clicked on the "W" and it turned red and then I hit "Play". When I wanted the W function to work, I doubleclicked with my mouse over the volume slider and slid it down where I wanted it to wind up. No problem there. The "W" track glowed that bright yellow-green color it always glows. But when I hit "Stop," the line turned from a bright yellow-green to a muted dull green and there is nothing I've tried so far that will allow me to move any of the nodes that were created when I moved the volume slider.

I've used this function many times and this is the first time I've run into this.  I'm guessing I must have inadvertently hit something I shouldn't have. But I haven't a clue what. This recording is nothing fancy. It's a short clip of a guitar recording, has a track all by itself.

After playing around with things a bit more, I discovered that if I indicated "Gain" from the Clip Automation drop down selection that this brings up a red line that does much the same thing. I've never used this before, but I gave it a shot and it did what I needed. So I got there, but I'm still curious why the old method didn't work.

Edited by Michael McBroom

3 hours ago, Michael McBroom said:

This is strange.  I use the Write function often with audio clips to control a clip's volume -- most often if I want a fade-out to occur. Just now I tried doing this with a short audio clip. Same as always, I clicked on the "W" and it turned red and then I hit "Play". When I wanted the W function to work, I doubleclicked with my mouse over the volume slider and slid it down where I wanted it to wind up. No problem there. The "W" track glowed that bright yellow-green color it always glows. But when I hit "Stop," the line turned from a bright yellow-green to a muted dull green and there is nothing I've tried so far that will allow me to move any of the nodes that were created when I moved the volume slider.

You're in Clips mode in that track. Switch to Automation | Volume and you'll be able to edit your drawn-in-with-the-fader control points.

Also note that Clip Automation | Gain will affects the level at the very top of the strip (right before the 'Gain' knob, I believe). It occurs before the FX Bin and the ProChannel (regardless of which order you have them in). Practical upshot, it can change the tone of whatever you're playing on the track if there's some distortion/saturation added as an effect. Similarly, if the track is heavily compressed, changing the clip gain may have little effect on the volume. 

Volume automation drives the fader, the very last thing in the strip, so it will not affect the levels going into any effects you might have on the track, just the output level being sent from the track to wherever you've got it routed.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Michael McBroom said:

When I wanted the W function to work, I doubleclicked with my mouse over the volume slider and slid it down where I wanted it to wind up. No problem there.

There is no need to double-click to engage Write Automation, just click and move the fader/slider.  After you hit Stop the track should automatically change to the edit filter 'Automation->Volume' where you can edit automation nodes.  You can also use it's automation lane for editing.  Cheers.