Snap a stereo wav file to grid

jonathan  hanemann

Question

OK, so here's the deal. Can I take a stereo mix of a song - as in a WAV file of a song - import it into Cakewalk, and snap it to a grid so that I can do some sequencing to it?

Let me ask the question in a different way:

Somebody who really doesn't know what they're doing at all is sending me a two track mix. They want me to track some synth parts to it. I need to work on the gird to do that. How can I do that, when the song I've been sent isn't on any kind of grid, per se? I need to get their song onto a grid somehow in order to have what I do sync up to what they've given me.

Thanks. Appreciate the help.

3 answers to this question

If the person who sent you the song doesn't know the tempo, then the easiest way to create a tempo map is to drag the WAV file onto the timeline and one will automatically be generated ( a box will appear stating that the process will take a while, press 'OK').  This process works well if the WAV contains distinct drum transients, so, for example,  if the song is the same tempo throughout and there are drum transients only in the chorus, you can split the clip on the first and the end of the last beat of the chorus and only drag that section into the timeline.  Another way to  create a tempo map is using 'Audio Snap'.  Select the clip, press 'Alt+A',  that will bring up the Audio Snap palette.  Press the Power button and you will see the transients, you can change how many transients are detected with the 'Threshold' slider.  It's probably best to ensure all kicks and snares are detected.  Now press  'Set Project From Clip' and a tempo map will be created.  If some of the beats are off you can edit them by dragging individual transient markers and then press 'Set Project From Clip' again. Cheers.

• Like 1

On 9/18/2020 at 5:40 PM, tonemangler said:

If the person who sent you the song doesn't know the tempo, then the easiest way to create a tempo map is to drag the WAV file onto the timeline and one will automatically be generated ( a box will appear stating that the process will take a while, press 'OK').  This process works well if the WAV contains distinct drum transients, so, for example,  if the song is the same tempo throughout and there are drum transients only in the chorus, you can split the clip on the first and the end of the last beat of the chorus and only drag that section into the timeline.  Another way to  create a tempo map is using 'Audio Snap'.  Select the clip, press 'Alt+A',  that will bring up the Audio Snap palette.  Press the Power button and you will see the transients, you can change how many transients are detected with the 'Threshold' slider.  It's probably best to ensure all kicks and snares are detected.  Now press  'Set Project From Clip' and a tempo map will be created.  If some of the beats are off you can edit them by dragging individual transient markers and then press 'Set Project From Clip' again. Cheers.