I want to build a computer for Cakewalk

Konskoo

8 hours ago, Konskoo said:

I want Samsung 970 EVO Plus. NVMe interface. PCI-E 3.0 x4. Connector: M.2. Flash memory type: V-NAND. Read speed: 3500 MB/s. Write speed: 3200 MB/s. Form factor: 2280.

I have not used NVMe, so I'm not qualified to make recommendation on that.

How much disk space you will actually need is entirely dependent on how much audio recording space you will use. Only you can determine that. Your audio tracks in the Cakewalk projects will be WAV files.

You could export audio from the Cakewalk project after you have finished recording and mixing as file type: AIFF, FLAC, MP3, OGG, WAV, WMA. Also you could export from Cakewalk as WAV for additional mastering step, then export that master in one of the compressed formats for online media sharing.

So save your project (with the WAV files included), save your exported master WAV, and save your FLAC or MP3 file for media share. Your online media host should have FAQ regarding the best format to upload. Add it all up and multiply by the number of projects you intend to have. You could archive (move) your oldest works onto an external drive to make more room for new active projects.

Here is a calculator:

https://www.colincrawley.com/audio-file-size-calculator/

• Thanks 1

I have different questions.

About studio monitors, studio headphones, audio interface.

Questions about files. Which file format to use? WAV or else?

Questions about master bus. I want to have on master bus spectrum analyzer, hard limiter and other tools.

Questions about spectrum analyzer. Which to use?

Questions about oscilloscope. Do I need it?

Questions about grand piano VSTs.

I remember your words:

How to make better? To make topics: one question - one topic?

I understand that you have different questions. 😉

I would recommend new topics for each of your different questions. You will get higher quality answers if you limit each thread to a single topic.

There are probably other more qualified community members than me to answer those questions, and they are not likely to read a many pages long thread covering multiple topics to find one that they might be able to answer. I'm saying that many members just glance at the headlines, and then move along until they find something of interest.

That's just the way the internet works!

• Thanks 1

When answer appears I don't receive notification on email. "Notify me of replies" flag is on. How to receive notification on email?

How do you made: symbol @ and my name Konskoo on black background? What this gives?

@Konskoojust type the @ symbol and directly follow with user name [@Konskoo]. The forum software will present a pop-out menu of matching user names. Just select the name you wish to tag. You will receive a notification if you are tagged.

Notifications are default to push to the browser. You are subscribed automatically if you post to a thread.

Email can be set up as a daily or weekly thread summary in the "Following" menu at the top right side of the forum page.

Edited by abacab
  • Thanks 1

@abacab, thank you. I have read all your messages. I took into consideration.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

On 10/24/2020 at 5:17 PM, abacab said:

plus a couple of WD Elements portable USB 3 drives for image backups.

@abacab, please write exact name of this drive. Model. Letters, figures. I want to read about this drive.

"please write exact name of this drive. Model. Letters, figures. I want to read about this drive."

WD 1TB Elements Portable Storage USB 3.0 Model WDBUZG0010BBK-WESN Black

https://www.newegg.com/model-wdbuzg0010bbk-wesn-1tb/p/1E8-0006-00100

I use this together with  Macrium Reflect 7 Free to make full backup images of my internal disks. I define a separate Macrium job for each disk.

https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree

Edited by abacab
  • Thanks 1

@abacab, thank you.

New questions appeared.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On 10/29/2020 at 5:10 PM, abacab said:

WD 1TB Elements Portable Storage USB 3.0 Model WDBUZG0010BBK-WESN Black

https://www.newegg.com/model-wdbuzg0010bbk-wesn-1tb/p/1E8-0006-00100

1. You use WD 1TB Elements Portable Storage USB 3.0. Do you use Portable Storage USB 3.1, USB 3.2, USB Type-C?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. Do you use External Hard Drive Docking Station?

On 10/27/2020 at 12:09 AM, abacab said:

Content is any extra samples, loops, one shots, MIDI patterns, etc., supplied by Cakewalk or any other 3rd party program or VST that you install.

3. Samples are WAV files?

On 10/29/2020 at 5:10 PM, abacab said:

I use this together with  Macrium Reflect 7 Free to make full backup images of my internal disks. I define a separate Macrium job for each disk.

https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree

4. Why do you use Macrium Reflect 7 Free instead of Windows 10 backup?

5. You made full backup image of drive D. Backup image is one file? If you will need to take just one project, or just one sample, or just one MIDI pattern from backup image, will you be able to go inside backup image and to take just one project, or just one sample, or just one MIDI pattern?

6. How do you organized files on drive D? What hierarchy do you use? How do you catalog your work? How do you quickly find project, sample, MIDI pattern which you need?

7. How do you organized your archive outside work computer?

Edited by Konskoo

1 hour ago, Konskoo said:

@abacab, thank you.

New questions appeared.

1. You use WD 1TB Elements Portable Storage USB 3.0. Do you use Portable Storage USB 3.1, USB 3.2, USB Type-C?

USB 3.0 Type 'A'. The type of port on the back of your computer.

2. Do you use External Hard Drive Docking Station?

No. WD Elements has its own housing and USB 3.0 interface and Type 'A' cable. But you could buy a USB 3 docking station and a bunch of 'bare' internal SATA drives instead of Elements.

3. Samples are WAV files?

Generally true, yes. That is a universal uncompressed lossless audio file format at 44.1 KHz/16-bit that works well in different systems.

4. Why do you use Macrium Reflect 7 Free instead of Windows 10 backup?

Macrium Reflect creates an exact image of the entire hard disk, sector by sector, rather than by files and folders. The image is saved as a single file container. If the source disk was ever damaged or lost, Macrium can restore that entire image in one step to a replacement drive. Takes me about 30 minutes to restore 250GB.

5. You made full backup image of drive D. Backup image is one file? If you will need to take just one project, or just one sample, or just one MIDI pattern from backup image, will you be able to go inside backup image and to take just one project, or just one sample, or just one MIDI pattern?

You can mount a Macrium image file as a virtual drive with a drive letter and browse and copy anything as if it was a real disk. This utility is included with Macrium.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

6. How do you organized files on drive D? What hierarchy do you use? How do you catalog your work? How do you quickly find project, sample, MIDI pattern which you need?

A separate folder for each software publisher or application makes the most sense to me. However you do it is up to you.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

7. How do you organized your archive outside work computer?

I don't really except to keep related things in common folders that make sense to me. Entirely up to you.

• Thanks 1

@abacab, thank you. I took your answers into attention.

abacab, I think about Intel desktop processors generations and Cakewalk.

Comet Lake. 10th generation processors. Desktop Processors (S-Series).

Rocket Lake. 11th generation processors. Desktop Processors. Will be released in the first quarter of 2021.

Alder Lake. 12th generation processors. Desktop Processors. Intel expects to launch Alder Lake in the second half of 2021.

To build desktop computer for Cakewalk on the base of Comet Lake-S processors now, or to wait for Rocket Lake or Alder Lake? Pros and cons.

abacab, your opinion is very important to me. Thank you. At the same time, on some questions that I asked you earlier, I want to research opinions of different people. If I will create topics and ask questions that I asked you earlier in order to research opinions of different people, will you not be offended?

Edited by Konskoo

30 minutes ago, Konskoo said:

If I will create topics and ask questions that I asked you earlier in order to research opinions of different people, will you not be offended?

Not at all! I was only describing what had worked for me. I think that you could achieve your goals with anything from Intel 3rd gen or later.

Good luck!

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

@abacab, thank you. I took into attention.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On 10/21/2020 at 8:20 PM, abacab said:

System spec:

• Intel i5-9600K 6 cores locked at 4.6GHz on Asus Prime Z390-A motherboard.
  • Intel integrated UHD graphics 630
  • RAM 16GB DDR4 at 2666 MHz XMP.
  • SSD Samsung 860 EVO 500GB SATA 6 Gb/s, benchmark sequential read 555 MB/s.
  • Avira Pro AV real-time scanning active.
  • Windows 10 Pro 2004

@abacab, why do you use Windows 10 Pro, but not Windows 10 Home?

10 hours ago, Konskoo said:

@abacab, why do you use Windows 10 Pro, but not Windows 10 Home?

Windows 10 Home does not include Group Policy Editor. That is only available in Pro, Enterprise, and Educational editions. Highly recommended for anyone using a DAW or any other professional workstation on Windows 10. There are some registry hacks for Home but I prefer to use the tools designed for the job.

Pros:

Group Policy Editor allows you to easily control Windows updates

• Set to be notified of monthly updates, but not to download until you request
  • Defer semi-annual feature upgrades for up to 365 days
  • Decline to receive driver updates via Windows Update

BitLocker full drive encryption for system drive

Various other useful one-click policies to control Win 10 behavior. I won't go into detail here because this has been discussed on blogs and web forums for years.

Cons: $99 upgrade from the Home edition via the Microsoft store. Exception if you upgrade from Win 7/8/8.1 Pro you will receive Win 10 Pro.

Best way to get Pro other than upgrading an old Pro license is to buy a computer with it pre-installed by OEM.

• Thanks 1