Flying Start (Mike Oldfield cover)

SteenE

Since my cover of Hotel California was such a hit 🤣, I thought I'd try another one. This is can hardly be called a classic and it's even covered rather true to the original, so it shouldn't upset too much. Again without Melodyne.

3/3 2019 : New mix using Bandlab mastering, + vocal reverb + bass

Edited by soundregion
New mix added

A good quality mix.

Vocals are slightly loud for my liking, but well EQ'd and a good sound.

The mix seems to be pumping a bit with over compression. This may be what you wanted, but personally I found it a bit distracting.

Apart from that, a great cover.

Well, for starters, I wasn't "upset" that you covered H. Cali, just remarked that I wouldn't and commented on your bravery

On to this one! I dig it. It's got a cool eighties feel, and your vocal arrangement, with the deeper part coming in, very inventive. I have not heard the original. If anything, I'd bump the vocal up in volume a bit. I like the mix treatments, nice compression and reverb. The snare has that huge 80's rvb sound, which depending on the tune, I think is quite appropriate. It certainly is here.

The lead vocal seems dry by comparison - maybe add more delay or rvb, maybe double your lead vocal? Then it would slot in to the mix a bit better, for me, anyway. I kept hearing Psych Furs mix while I was listening to this, as a reference.

This is a cool tune and thanks for giving it life! Nice job.

-Tom

16 hours ago, Mesh said:

I'm a big fan of Mike O., but haven't heard this track before (maybe not such a big fan lol). The mix translated very nicely on my headphones, clean and balanced. Good job on this SoundR.

I know a lot of people prefer the instrumental stuff, but I like the songs as well.Thanks for listening.

15 hours ago, msmcleod said:

A good quality mix.

Vocals are slightly loud for my liking, but well EQ'd and a good sound.

The mix seems to be pumping a bit with over compression. This may be what you wanted, but personally I found it a bit distracting.

Apart from that, a great cover.

I did notice that, but I think it's added in the master, as I can't hear it on the premaster.  Maybe I'll try Bandlabs mastering instead.
Thanks for your feedback.

15 hours ago, emeraldsoul said:

Well, for starters, I wasn't "upset" that you covered H. Cali, just remarked that I wouldn't and commented on your bravery

On to this one! I dig it. It's got a cool eighties feel, and your vocal arrangement, with the deeper part coming in, very inventive. I have not heard the original. If anything, I'd bump the vocal up in volume a bit. I like the mix treatments, nice compression and reverb. The snare has that huge 80's rvb sound, which depending on the tune, I think is quite appropriate. It certainly is here.

The lead vocal seems dry by comparison - maybe add more delay or rvb, maybe double your lead vocal? Then it would slot in to the mix a bit better, for me, anyway. I kept hearing Psych Furs mix while I was listening to this, as a reference.

This is a cool tune and thanks for giving it life! Nice job.

-Tom

So one for up the vocal and one for down. That explains the 5-6 times I sent it to Emastered, before setteling on this, as I was not sure myself.  I'll test the reverb. I think I could spend all day going back and forth on EQ and reverb on the vocals. I can never seem to get it just right. Thanks for the feed back