Cakewalk in Schools

Jimbo 88

26 minutes ago, abacab said:

Please stay on topic. No point in derailing this thread any further. Sorry that you took it personally.

Sorry that you decided to write these blatant insults instead of commenting on the topic under discussion:

1 hour ago, abacab said:

You failed to provide any facts other than hearsay. Mob mentality rules! So burn Overture to the ground!

"Online research", as in "I saw many comments" on the internet... so it must be true! Brilliant critical thinking and absolutely dazzling logic!

I was not the one that went off topic. I lobbed no insults. I never said anything about burning Overture to the ground.  Nor did I say what I read on the internet was 100% accurate.  This is what I said:

12 hours ago, User 905133 said:

@ptheisen Thanks for sharing your experiences and thoughts.  Yesterday I looked up Overture and saw many comments like the ones you referenced.

I generally (almost always) take a skeptical stance--it might be true; it might not; I have no way of knowing. In this case, I had done some online research and found what seemed to be credible discussions from actual users (as oppose to both positive and negative BS so prevalent on the internet). 

As for hypothesizing what might be going on, I believe those speculations (which are clearly identified as such) are warranted given some of the earlier posts in this thread and the old forum.

That was 100% related to the topic as it had turned to Overture.

You insult me further by patronizingly advising me to, "Please stay on topic."

As a preface, I don't think Cakewalk has a chance in the education market for a couple of reasons:

1. It's Windows-only.  This is a self-limiting situation for the DAW. 
  2. The industry standards are pretty solid in the Composition and Scoring space:  Cubase Pro (and Nuendo, naturally), Logic Pro X, and Digital Performer.  There is no reason to forego them.
  3. Cakewalk by BandLab is tied to a Social Network.  Schools would view it like requiring Facebook to use a DAW.  It would be a non-starter for many, if not the majority.

-----

The mediocre Staff View would be less of an issue if Cakewalk had a full ReWire implementation, but it doesn't.  By that, I mean Cakewalk doesn't support ReWire MIDI Input (it can only Output).  If it did, then you wouldn't need a better Staff View ASAP.  You'd only need a cheap Notation Program that was significantly better than Staff View.

For example:    PreSonus Notion 6 on sale for < $70.

So, you'd route your staves in Notion to ReWire MIDI Channels and then set the MIDI Input on your Tracks in Cakewalk to the applicable ReWire MIDI Channels coming from Notion; and the outputs to the applicable virtual instrument.

You can compose in Notion, etc., and when you're done, you just  record the MIDI to those tracks; at which point, any further tweaking/editing can be done in Cakewalk by BandLab on the Piano Roll.

MusicXML Import would also be nice to have.