Song I made using novel technique for vocal editing

Chris Boshuizen

This song started with about 10 minutes of stream of consciousness monolog from Haji Mike. I wanted a way to do some timing and tempo edits and rearrange the whole thing into a coherent song structure.

To preserve audio quality and prevent resampling artefacts, I tried doing something pretty unusual. I made a second copy of the audio, and I very carefully tempo changed it and bounced it out at highest quality. I then enabled stretch, and then moving from front to back, split the two tracks at the same time, and then grouped the resulting pairs of phrases. Once I was done, I then selected the entire second track and bulk turned off Stretch, so now I had matched, grouped pairs of each vocal phrase at two different tempos.

I could also name each pair inside each group at the same time, so I could keep track of which phrase was which. I then rearranged the whole thing, and then started toggling mute with the K key. The nice thing about groups is that selecting a group and hitting k will flip what is muted, so I started with one track's clips all muted, and the other unmuted. I could then very quickly edit the whole song, and by picking the fast or slow clip, improve the rhythmic timing of the vocals without any extra edits, and I could guarantee that I had preserved audio quality throughout. 

image.thumb.png.102d19bf0cab7a7f07dff47ff966c52b.png

Anyway, I thought you might appreciate my novel and quirky way of editing vocals!

Edited by Chris Boshuizen