Background Roar - REDO 9/15/2020

Barry Seymour

Okay everyone, I have a big ask here. LISTEN WITH HEADPHONES.

I returned to this, the second song I ever recorded, seven months after I started this journey. This is my second time back and I reworked a LOT. Replaced all the guitars, re-did a secondary percussion track, even added strings at the end. I think it's a VAST improvement. I'm looking for constructive criticism on how I could improve the mix,  as this is probably the most complex and involved recording I've ever done.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: This is the final mix.

Edited by Barry Seymour

Great song , Loved the guitar hook and it's sound. One mix comment is the bass is not really there at all.  Turn it up but be careful of the low end. 

I thought the strings took away from the overall great soundscape of the song.  One thing you could try as a big fat Poly synth instead. 

Thanks. Yes, I wrestled with the idea of redoing the bass, it's utterly rudimentary. The song is already pretty darn crowded, but I think I'll give it a go.

What do you mean a poly synth instead of strings? I'm a Seventies kinda guy, don't know much about synths. (I still chuckle hearing about 'vintage' instruments like the TR-505.) Any input would be deeply appreciated.

Thanks for the feedback.

Barry I loved this tune when it was "rough", nothing's changed there.
Without a doubt you've been doing your homework (lather, rinse, repeat; come back to it later?),
and it shows (big time) your mixing skills are maturing beautifully.
The drums are bigger (loving the snare), the guitar riff takes center stage and demands attention.
The gentle delay on the vocal, still using the Sonitus surround? or just the delay?
I'm good with the bass line, it "anchors" the tune just fine.

Specific suggestions, I think your production is catching up with your songwriting; keep it up!
Print it, mix 4 is solid; Hendrix evidently tried to redo Wind Cries Mary more than once; the original 4 track was "the take".

BTW, I did listen on headphones, the DT 990's from the Fireface; the Bose cans off the soundchip are just too bass hyped...

t

• Like 1

This was more than just a remix. I re-recorded the lead guitars and the 'supplementary percusson' track, i.e. the big snare on the choruses. The original guitars were recorded using effects pedals; in listening to the tracks there was a lot of static and garbage there. I re-recorded them using VST / onboard effects and it cleaned things up tremendously.

Strings are new, and yes, the rest is remixing. But it's a trick - the more that goes in there, the harder it is to smooth it all out into a coherent whole.

I re-recorded the bass - I have more confidence in that area than I did in March - and will have a new mix to upload soon.

Thanks!

3 hours ago, Douglas Kirby said:

I would have liked to hear the rhythm guitars more - they sound thin - perhaps some eq treatment or just turning up the faders.  I couldn't hear the bass all that well either.

Those are my two crits - good song - I always enjoy your vocal.

Good points. As mentioned, it's getting hard to mix well with so many instruments / tracks. Will revisit.

Bass is much better now. This is sounding really good to me. 

I always found strings associated with Cheezy overproduced songs from the 70-80's It's just me. I just don't like them in the music I enjoy. So when I need a sustained part I will use either a Hammond or a Polysynth patch. There's lots of great synth patches that are well know and now as you say are retro! Funny thing is most were lame attempts to emulate strings! Just like a lot of our favourite electric piano sounds were not originally intended to be trade mark sound of their own, they were just trying to make a real piano more portable.  Same with those combo organs. 

Look in Dim Pro, Rapture, Roland Groove synth, Ultra Analog session and my favourite is the Korg Poly 800 a freebie. ( only 32 bit alas) 

You mixed the strings right out of there now but if you feel like bringing them back try a hammond patch first. I think it might work with this song. You've got the midi part there play with it. 

Use the replace synth option to swap out on the fly as the song plays and mess with different patches it one of my favourite pastimes. You never know what works and my be surprised at what you find does. 

Edited by John Vere
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, John Vere said:

Bass is much better now. This is sounding really good to me. 

I always found strings associated with Cheezy overproduced songs from the 70-80's It's just me. I just don't like them in the music I enjoy. So when I need a sustained part I will use either a Hammond or a Polysynth patch. There's lots of great synth patches that are well know and now as you say are retro! Funny thing is most were lame attempts to emulate strings! Just like a lot of our favourite electric piano sounds were not originally intended to be trade mark sound of their own, they were just trying to make a real piano more portable.  Same with those combo organs. 

Look in Dim Pro, Rapture, Roland Groove synth, Ultra Analog session and my favourite is the Korg Poly 800 a freebie. ( only 32 bit alas) 

You mixed the strings right out of there now but if you feel like bringing them back try a hammond patch first. I think it might work with this song. You've got the midi part there play with it. 

Use the replace synth option to swap out on the fly as the song plays and mess with different patches it one of my favourite pastimes. You never know what works and my be surprised at what you find does. 

Thanks for the input. Yeah, I did turn the strings down; the song is already so busy, I was worried about them cluttering things up. I also wanted them to be felt rather than heard, but whether I achieved that (or whether that was even a good idea) I am not sure.

And when I look up these synth VSTs I see screen shots of nothing but dials and knobs. It may take me a while to grasp all that.

I have a weekend coming up... more delving to do...

I think you got it sounding real good on the NMS10's .... Just love that that guitar hook ,  this is sounding ready for radio to me. And by the way, the more I listen to your voice the more I like it. Well done ...  And the more I listen to the lyrics the more I hear and enjoy this song. 

Edited by John Vere
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, John Vere said:

I think you got it sounding real good on the NMS10's .... Just love that that guitar hook ,  this is sounding ready for radio to me. And by the way, the more I listen to your voice the more I like it. Well done ...  And the more I listen to the lyrics the more I hear and enjoy this song. 

Very kind, thank you.

18 hours ago, John Vere said:

Very kind, thanks.