Static Problem

jonathan  hanemann

Hey, quick problem here. Was hoping someone could help. Really appreciate it.

I'm using Cakewalk Platinum on Windows 10 64 bit with An Apollo Twin Duo USB. I'm getting a fair amount of static on small sessions without much going on. Like for instance, when I run a soft synth with two plugins on it,

Same thing with recording analog instruments. 

The buffer size on the Apollo is 128. If I go down to 64, the static is worse, if I could up to 256, there's too much latency. 

My sample rate is at 44100

I don't know whether or not it's the Apollo, or Cakewalk. 

Thanks.

This isn't static, this is a symptom of your buffer size being too small for the CPU load. 

You've not given any details about your PC configuration, e.g. CPU type / speed, but I suspect:

(a) Your CPU is too slow ( or your power configuration isn't set to maximum performance ? ) and/or
(b) The plugins you're using are too CPU intensive for recording.

Its quite common for people to disable plugins during recording in order to reduce the buffer size/latency.

Another thing you can try is freezing tracks to free up CPU load.

3 hours ago, msmcleod said:

Tks for replying. Appreciate it.

Intel Core i7 8550U CPU @ 1.80 Ghz    1.99 Ghz

Windows 10 64 bit

3 hours ago, msmcleod said:

This isn't static, this is a symptom of your buffer size being too small for the CPU load. 

You've not given any details about your PC configuration, e.g. CPU type / speed, but I suspect:

(a) Your CPU is too slow ( or your power configuration isn't set to maximum performance ? ) and/or
(b) The plugins you're using are too CPU intensive for recording.

Its quite common for people to disable plugins during recording in order to reduce the buffer size/latency.

Another thing you can try is freezing tracks to free up CPU load.