can't hear vocals when recording - SOLVED

greg54

I never had this problem before.   Now that I started using CbB, I'm having some issues.

When I tried recording vocals today, I can't hear any vocals through my headphones - or through the speakers.   I changed headphones, headphone amps and microphones.  Maybe it's hardware.   But if so, I can't find where it's coming from.   The vocals do record, but the signal is weak.   And when I played it back, the vocal signal on the track was really weak - but I can hear the vocals a little.   I'm using 48v phantom power.   Nothing has changed as far as hardware is concerned since switching to CbB.

Maybe it's CbB.  I don't know.   There's also some excess noise in the headphones, which I don't/can't hear through the monitors.

Edited by greg54

Did you set the level (on the VU meter bar in Track View and on the track itself) before you started recording?

And what is the situation now? Can you get the VU bar into the red?

You say you turned on the 48V - what microphone is it?

If you are using a dynamic microphone, such as a Shure SM58, you will need to turn the level on the mic input high because these mics have a low output. But that will not need 48V.

Are you familiar with the equipment?

You say you changed to CbB - what DAW did you use before? (so we can show you where the same feature is in CbB)

And what interface are you using? Does it have a signal LED or a row of LEDs as a VU meter? Can you drive those into the red? Because that is the level that will be recorded by CbB. If it was low, then the interface was set too low.

Why do you need a headphone amp? What do you hear if you plug your headphones directly into the interface and speak into the microphone?

And how much experience do you have with recording (just so we know at what level to put our answers and advice - I may have come across too condescending for which I apologize)

Edited by twelvetone

50 minutes ago, twelvetone said:

Did you set the level (on the VU meter bar in Track View and on the track itself) before you started recording?

I always set the meter to just above half way.

And what is the situation now? Can you get the VU bar into the red?

I cannot get the VU into the red.    I have the Gain on my interface around 2 o'clock (which I never do.  It's always at noon), and I'm standing about 5 inches away from the mic.

You say you turned on the 48V - what microphone is it?

It's a new Warm Audio WA Classic.   I thought it could be the mic, but I switched to one of my older mics, and the problem hasn't changed.

Are you familiar with the equipment?

The equipment I'm using?  I've been using it for years.

You say you changed to CbB - what DAW did you use before? (so we can show you where the same feature is in CbB)

I've been using Cakewalk Platinum (had been for years).  I just switched to CbB a few days ago.

And what interface are you using? Does it have a signal LED or a row of LEDs as a VU meter? Can you drive those into the red? Because that is the level that will be recorded by CbB. If it was low, then the interface was set too low.

I'm using a Solid State Logic SSL2 interface.  It's been working flawlessly.   I didn't notice them going into the red...or even close.

Why do you need a headphone amp? What do you hear if you plug your headphones directly into the interface and speak into the microphone?

I started using a headphone amp a couple of years ago because my headphones through my interface at that time wasn't loud enough for me.   And I kept it when I got my SSL2.   I tried plugging my headphones directly into the interface, and I still can't hear my vocals when recording.

And how much experience do you have with recording (just so we know at what level to put our answers and advice - I may have come across too condescending for which I apologize)

I've been recording since 2002 - but I'm horrible with computers.   There's just a lot of things I just don't get.  (You didn't come across condescending.)

My interface has 2 channels.   I tried vocals on both, and they're the same.   I also record my guitar direct  (guitar>POD>interface).  So I plugged in my guitar using the headphones, and I can hear my guitar just fine.   The signal is perfect.

The issue is only when recording vocals.   

Edited by greg54

You say SOLVED - do tell so we can all learn.

I just downloaded the manual of the Solid State Logic SSL2 interface.

If the 'Line' button is UP (microphone sensitivity) and you turn the Monitor knob all the way to the left (Input) and turn the gain on your microphone channel up so it just touches  the red LED on the 5-segment UV you absolutely must hear your voice on plugged-in headphones.

If not, the unit is faulty.

I suspect your Line button was down. That is for keyboards.

And HiZ + Line down is for guitars.

Again, apologies if I am being obvious and the issue was somewhere else.

Edited by twelvetone

I said "solved" but actually the problem resolved itself.   By that I mean after I tried to find the issue but couldn't, I left everything as it was and got off the computer.   When I went back on later, it worked.   Next time it does it (if there is a next time) I'll get a new interface.   I checked everything else, so it has to be an issue with the interface.

Edited by greg54