Win 10 2004 update - Trouble!

MagBass

I got a Windows notification this morning saying my current version of Windows 1903 was about to expire, I should prepare to upgrade to version 2004 and asked if I was ready to do the upgrade now.  I went ahead.  It took about an hour and since then I've been having strange problems all over the place, particularly in my music software.  Things like my audio interface not being seen at all right after updating (shut off interface and turned it back on), multiple registry errors loading VSampler 3 (yes, you can still run VSampler), the presets for PolyKB Player disappearing (I thought a program update fixed that, but it didn't) and the soft eLicenser could not see the license for HALion Sonic (running the licensing program as Administrator seems to have fixed that).  It seems there are some major changes in the registry.

The point is, if you get a notification to upgrade your music PC, you might want to hold off.  I don't know what other issues I'm going to have yet, but I clearly expect them now.

Edited by MagBass

Thanks for the heads up. I believe there was another post in this forum that 2004 didn't play nice.

Fortunately, my current DAW PC isn't sufficient to run 2004, so it won't install.

Hopefully, there are others in this forum that can help you with your issues. I still deal with an issue ever since upgrading to Win10, but that's a different story.

The major Windows 10 feature updates are actually Windows UPGRADES. Expect to have to make some adjustments to some drivers, settings, activations, etc. afterwards.

Best plan is to make a system disk image before running the update, so that you have an easy method of rolling back (just restore the image). Just in case you find too many issues and would like some more time to research them.

So did I without any major problems, but I went up from 1909. Bear in mind that not everyone's system config is the same, so YMMV.

I still had a few activation issues with some 3rd party plugins and applications (the system ID changes with each Windows version number), but they were easily resolved. And the system tray icon for my audio interface always goes missing after an upgrade. But nothing a repair install for that can't fix.

Edited by abacab

. . . because Windows v2004 is considered a "major" update, a lot of windows basic settings, especially some that have to do with audio, get shaken and stirred back to default settings . . . so most audio and DAW users will have customized audio settings that will have to be re-tweaked. It was not a pleasant update for me, but I have it working back to my spec now . . . until next time . . .

As you say, there is a rollback option in Windows Update settings, but it will try the update gain (you will be assimilated), unless you know how to turn them off, which is very hidden I have found.