Crowd HYPE

cclarry

3 hours ago, e-cue said:

I've needed something like this for a while now.  Honestly, I'm not sure what else out there is like this other than sound library stuff you can import.  I'll cop this, but interested in any competition anyone knows about.

Please let us know what you think. 

I'm highly interested but leery - I'm thinking that "a crowd of over 50,000" is perhaps a little too vast, too washed out for most of my needs. Don't know if this is the case...

4 hours ago, e-cue said:

but interested in any competition anyone knows about.

https://freesound.org/people/Robinhood76/packs/3830/?page=2#sound
Lots of very nice sounding "free"* crowd sounds

*creative commons attribution-noncommercial license

Was  trying to decipher what that actually means...
Found this..

What is attribution NonCommercial?
Attribution–NonCommercial 4.0 – This license lets others remix, tweak, and build upon your work non-commercially, and although their new works must also acknowledge you and be non-commercial, they don't have to license their derivative works on the same terms.

Per https://freesound.org/people/Robinhood76/
"There's possibility to get a commercial license or permission to use my files from Freesound - like my facebook profile and just write to me."
From FAQ of the creator of this set:
- I want to use your sound in game/song/video that maybe will be selling in the future, can I use it now?
Use it for free but remember about purchasing commercial license when you start selling it.

• Thanks 2

Sharke posted an interesting solution in the old forums that used a vocoder to control and enhance crowd interaction. On my cell now, so fat chance I can find that link offhand. IIRC, that was using a small group and generating a stadium crowd from it.

http://forum.cakewalk.com/m/tm.aspx?m=3146538&p=1

Damn, that link is almost 6 years old already.

Edited by mettelus
  • Thanks 1

I went ahead and picked this up -- I have lots of crowd sound effects but I've not seen a playback engine/system.  This is kind of weak as far as Kontakt instruments/crowd playback engines go though.

The download zip fails to install on Windows because the license agreement file is named "Crowd Hype User Manual | User Agreement.pdf" which when uncompressed on a PC becomes "Crowd Hype User Manual _ User Agreement.pdf"  I really get tired of Mac filenames.  But despite the Pulse downloader reporting the error you do get everything. 

They have saved the patched as a Kontakt monolith where the script and the samples are all saved together.  When I re-saved it with the samples separately there are only 13 samples:

Crowd Whoa Vocals.wav
Crowd Claps Master.wav
Stomp & Clap.wav
Holler Stomp bounce.wav
Patriots 8 Line Level_Whistle_2.wav
Crowd_Cheer_Line_6_Reactions_V02.wav
Crowd_Cheer_Line_6_Reactions_V01.wav
Crowd_Cheer_Line_1_V02.wav
Crowd_Cheer_Line_1_V01.wav
Crowd_Cheer_2_Verb.wav
Patriots 6 Line Level_2_Verb.wav
Patriots 3_Line_3.wav

You can watch their videos to see how they work.  The Kontakt instrument script isn't encrypted.  It's basically just those samples mapped to keys with the mod wheel.

There is a lot of potential here for a much better product.  But they would need a lot more samples and a much more complex instrument.  I think this is slightly overpriced to be honest (even the sale price).  It should be like $15 at Kontakt Hub not $79.

If you are looking for some crowd sound effects you might want to check out  https://www.freetousesounds.com/ They are selling full access to everything for $20 in the All In One Bundle https://www.freetousesounds.com/product/all-in-one-sound-library-bundle/

While it's very painful to download things from their cloud provider, the Pro Edited By Zapsplat batch 4 has 12 "American football crowd" sounds that are pretty good long recordings.  Not to mention all the other sound effects included.  I've downloaded about 281gigs of sounds from them and have easily gotten my $20 out of it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

The file path problem is fixed if you use Pulse version 40.0.2, mine was version 38 and it kept complaining it couldn't connect to the update server and as a result never got updated.  A manual re-download and install fixed that.  I guess they fixed the zip has bad characters for Windows file paths creates an error message problem.  The extracted PDF file is still named differently on Windows than it is on Mac, but with the newer Pulse downloader you don't get an error.

As for this speeding up work flow and being fun and inspiring to use?  Personally no.  Easier to just drop in wav files and hand draw envelopes in a video editor.  But I think Resolve may support Kontakt and could be used with this?  I don't think that works in Premiere though, but I'll admit I've never tried loading a VSTi in Premiere.

22 hours ago, Matthew Sorrels said:

If you are looking for some crowd sound effects you might want to check out  https://www.freetousesounds.com/ They are selling full access to everything for $20 in the All In One Bundle https://www.freetousesounds.com/product/all-in-one-sound-library-bundle/

$20 for lifetime access is a pretty good deal. Snatched it.

Edit: Wow, you didn't kid about the download process being painful. It's also possible to buy the whole collection (edit: premium stuff excluded, probably) on Bandcamp for $19.95 with the code "free2usesounds". I'm not sure if you get future updates, but downloading the files might be easier.

Edit2: Actually, the server zips the files pretty quickly so downloading a whole folder is not that much work.

Edit3: I take it back. If the folder is too big the server can't zip it and spits out an error instead: "7502 Server error: Not enough space".

Edited by Pseudopop
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Pseudopop said:

Edit: Wow, you didn't kid about the download process being painful. It's also possible to buy the whole collection on Bandcamp for $19.95 with the code "free2usesounds". I'm not sure if you get future updates, but downloading the files might be easier.

Edit2: Actually, the server zips the files pretty quickly so downloading a whole folder is not that much work.

Edit3: I take it back. If the folder is too big the server can't zip it and spits out an error instead: "7502 Server error: Not enough space".

looks like the bandcamp collection is $16 with code "summersale" 

are you saying that buying direct isn't worth bothering with as the download is too painful ?  I might do the bandcamp one...which also looks painful as you have to do it 'album' by 'album'.

2 hours ago, Pseudopop said:

Edit: Wow, you didn't kid about the download process being painful. It's also possible to buy the whole collection on Bandcamp for $19.95 with the code "free2usesounds". I'm not sure if you get future updates, but downloading the files might be easier.

You have to download in about 4gig chunks.  It's pretty annoying.  But isn't completely impossible.  They have some read me files that outline how it all works.  I'm not sure Bandcamp is any better/different.  I do know that since I bought it they have added more stuff and I've been able to download the new things.  Which is nice.  I started on the VR stuff and the Pro Edited stuff.  And now I'm working my way through the Complete section.  While the downloading is very painful the quality of the stuff is actually pretty good.  I always need ambiences and backgrounds for animation work, and this has a ton of that kind of sound effects.  At the rate I'm going I should have the whole collection downloaded by the end of Oct.

• Thanks 1

I can't see the VR/ambisonic stuff on bandcamp ?

but I noticed this on his website

"Want to skip the download time? We frequently send out hard drives by request & have all sounds available for Dropbox Pro user too ! If you prefer this option then please message us at hello@freetousesounds.com"

Edited by simon

I assumed that when they say things like "get all sound libraries" and "get the full discography" it means everything, but maybe it excludes the premium stuff. I'll edit my previous post.

2 hours ago, Matthew Sorrels said:

I'm not sure Bandcamp is any better/different. 

If they offer direct links to the files you can use browser plugin like DownThemAll to get them all with a few clicks. I'm not sure if they do, though. A little googling shows that there are even plugins made specifically for downloading stuff from Bandcamp.

Edited by Pseudopop
Added stuff about Bandcamp downloads

emailed him direct.

As suspected bandcamp doesn't have the surround/ambisonic stuff as it can only host stereo - he's obvious running this on a budget so it's impossible for him to offer 1tb downloads at full speed, which is fair enough I think.

• Like 1