Douglas Kirby

Hi Everybody,

This is a track off of the album I'm currently working on called "The Westerly Sessions Vol. III". As always, any comments or critiques are welcome. I sang the lead vocal with an AT4040 through an ART MPA Gold preamp, and I processed the lead vocal with my new toy - Overloud's Gem Voice. The drums are AD2 and the lead guitar parts were played with a Gibson Les Paul through TH-U.

Here it is:

https://www.soundclick.com/music/songInfo.cfm?songID=14110778

• Like 3

Doug Your songs seem to be getting even better lately. Don't know if it's a production or composition thing but whatever it is, it's working. I agree with the other comments that the voc needs something like bit of reverb or double tracking. It's very good the way it is but could be bumped up a notch.

What do you think of Gem Voice? I'm going to download the demo but probably won't help me much.  ☺️

• Like 1

Hi Douglas . . . this song is so bang on, kind of stark (sparse) recording wise, but really works well to my ears, because of the way it unfolds. The main guitar hook is played like a true craftsman. It's the song we all wish we wrote after our last break-up. Sure, like others have said here . . . maybe some harmony vox could spice it up to keep the radio + streaming folks happy . . . but  I would not want them to take away from the inter personal feeling this has, which really speaks to the listener.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Wookiee said:

Furry paw taping groove which is always a good thing.  It sits easy on the furry ears I like nice one @Douglas Kirby.  You might want to add a tiny little bit more reverb on the vocal just to get ti to sit in the mix a little more, that is just this old Wookiee's furry opinion though.

Thanks Wookiee - I think I agree with you on putting a bit more reverb on the vocal.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, bjornpdx said:

Doug Your songs seem to be getting even better lately. Don't know if it's a production or composition thing but whatever it is, it's working. I agree with the other comments that the voc needs something like bit of reverb or double tracking. It's very good the way it is but could be bumped up a notch.

What do you think of Gem Voice? I'm going to download the demo but probably won't help me much.  ☺️

Thanks Bjorn - I do like the Gem Voice - it has quite a few different vocal tones to it, and I'm still learning it as I go - I'm happy with the purchase, since I'll be using it quite a bit.

11 hours ago, noynekker said:

Hi Douglas . . . this song is so bang on, kind of stark (sparse) recording wise, but really works well to my ears, because of the way it unfolds. The main guitar hook is played like a true craftsman. It's the song we all wish we wrote after our last break-up. Sure, like others have said here . . . maybe some harmony vox could spice it up to keep the radio + streaming folks happy . . . but  I would not want them to take away from the inter personal feeling this has, which really speaks to the listener.

Thanks for listening - I appreciate it.

• 2 weeks later...

Im outta time again this morning but I will finish Iistening shortly. Really digging the vibe and the guitar work.  I like imagining these tunes sung an octave higher and with a bit of a Zeppelin feel to the vocals. It's something that happens anytime I hear music like this. I would love to be able to sing a version if the music were available. 🌞 

• Like 1

On 9/26/2020 at 11:30 AM, Evan Hayley said:

Im outta time again this morning but I will finish Iistening shortly. Really digging the vibe and the guitar work.  I like imagining these tunes sung an octave higher and with a bit of a Zeppelin feel to the vocals. It's something that happens anytime I hear music like this. I would love to be able to sing a version if the music were available. 🌞 

Thanks for listening to my song - I appreciate it.

On 9/26/2020 at 4:17 PM, freddy j said:

Cool song Douglas.  Absoflippinlutely, love the sound of that Les Paul as well as the some great playing.  I agree with some of the comments that some harmonies or BGV's might add to it but it sounds good the way it is!!

Nice one indeed!!!

Thanks Freddy - yeah, I seem to use the Les Paul a lot lately on lead - always fits nicely.