I Think My Old PC Knows It's Being Replaced

Royal Yaksman

In the process of copying over installation files and samples, so I don't have to re-download them. Old PC is working relatively fine for a couple of hours. That is until I start transferring files and almost as if it can sense its impending redundancy, starts glitching up and not responding. Whole screen goes blank. After 2 or 3 minutes desktop reappears sans icons. Open task manager and it's blank. Apparently not even Windows is running? Processes 0, memory 0, etc.

Perhaps placing the new PC next to the old one has provoked a deep jealousy in its now somewhat ancient soul? Whatever is up with it, just let me get these final few files off of it and then it can have all the 0 processes it wants!

This is partially the fault of the Deals section, as I wouldn't have so much s*** to copy over if Larry didn't keep pointing out so many bargains.🤑

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, paulo said:

It's just trying to get you used to the win 10 ownership experience.

Well so far the new PC is so fast at doing everything, I have had to abandon all my old habits of clicking on something and going to make a coffee (or play on my phone) whilst it decides whether it's going to open. I had heard the M.2 drives were fast, but some things have installed so fast that the install meter didn't even pop up on the screen. I clicked install, the pop-up box went blurry for a split second and next thing I'm staring at the "Finish" icon.

It also appears that I can finally edit more than 4 bars at a time in melodyne without seizing and gliching. The old PC used to be able to do that too, but about a year ago it started having issues. Especially with multiple processes. I was having to render literally everything after each individual process, or risk it crashing to desktop with no crash log in any of the DAWs I own. Once a project got to 30ish tracks with 20 or so plugs, there's a good chance it was never opening with any sort of workable stability again.

As for the Windows 10 ownership experience. I felt so blessed to be in the 4% (Microsoft reported figure) of users with a Windows 7 machine that was upgraded to Windows 10 and eventually corrupted permissions of powershell and key logger events. There were a few older VSTs that I couldn't open any more because they hadn't been updated in yonks and thus didn't have the coding to ignore the events.

First thing I did with the new PC was install the VSTs that no longer worked on my old machine and so far they are happily up and running on the new PC. Fingers crossed until Microsoft release an update that messes with the new machines' mojo!😬