Screaming Abdabs

David Sprouse

I enjoyed the listen - this is a very creative instrumental. I was trying to think of something that it reminded me of, but I couldn't think of anything - so you score high on originality here. It was cool when the dual guitars kicked in towards the end.

I thought the mix sounded quite good - lots going on in it - well done.

Thanks for listening bjorn.

On 9/14/2020 at 3:31 AM, Douglas Kirby said:

I enjoyed the listen - this is a very creative instrumental. I was trying to think of something that it reminded me of, but I couldn't think of anything - so you score high on originality here. It was cool when the dual guitars kicked in towards the end.

I thought the mix sounded quite good - lots going on in it - well done.

I like writing things that are on the edge of familiarity.  It's all jazz in the end, no?  Thank you for taking the time to listen Doug.  I know we all have lots of things going on in our lives, so taking that time to give me your ear for a short time is honorable.  I appreciate you :D:D

On 9/14/2020 at 7:15 AM, John Bradley said:

Very cool. Reminded me of some of Adrian Belew's more avant garde pieces, e.g. various tracks off of Desire Caught by the Tail.

Thanks!

John,  I was familiar with Adrian but not the specifics.  I'll definitely look up *desire caught by the tail.*  Thank you for taking the time to listen.

Hi David . . . en garde ! . . . my first disclaimer would be that I'm not inclined to the avante garde, but I did have a few listens to this, mostly because I'm a fan of your compositional creativity. Firstly, I had to google the word "abdabs", then I understood more about it. Usually, when I sit down and listen to some music, it's to relax and uplift, but this style seems purposefully written to evoke a kind of uneasy feeling.  It occurred to me that like an actor, a composer can evoke a feeling, such as you have done here with modal and semi tone melodies, and frequencies accentuated in the 2-5k range, it starts out so pleasant, but takes a turn. Part of me wanted to turn it down, and part of me wanted to just understand it.

Sorry if I've over analyzed it, but I think I'm trying to tell you that you've musically opened my mind some here . . . I see you released it March 2020, a lot of "new" stuff was going on at that time in our society, maybe that was your inspiration ? . . . Anyways, this piece also sums up the way my work week went . . . Happy Friday !

Thanks David, always look forward to what you're up to here on the Cakewalk Songs Forum.

Stripped down, raucous, and raw, is what normally attracts me in music.  However, I really liked this piece of music.  A lot of twists and turns, each instrument had an opportunity to present itself, and the touch of some dissonance kept my attention throughout.  I always enjoy what you post and this is no exception.

On 9/18/2020 at 9:55 PM, noynekker said:

Hi David . . . en garde ! . . . my first disclaimer would be that I'm not inclined to the avante garde, but I did have a few listens to this, mostly because I'm a fan of your compositional creativity. Firstly, I had to google the word "abdabs", then I understood more about it. Usually, when I sit down and listen to some music, it's to relax and uplift, but this style seems purposefully written to evoke a kind of uneasy feeling.  It occurred to me that like an actor, a composer can evoke a feeling, such as you have done here with modal and semi tone melodies, and frequencies accentuated in the 2-5k range, it starts out so pleasant, but takes a turn. Part of me wanted to turn it down, and part of me wanted to just understand it.

Sorry if I've over analyzed it, but I think I'm trying to tell you that you've musically opened my mind some here . . . I see you released it March 2020, a lot of "new" stuff was going on at that time in our society, maybe that was your inspiration ? . . . Anyways, this piece also sums up the way my work week went . . . Happy Friday !

Thanks David, always look forward to what you're up to here on the Cakewalk Songs Forum.

Noynekker, thanks so much for the nuanced listen to this piece.  Nuance is sorely missing from  our world these days.  Also, thanks for the tip about the 2-5k range.  I did have a version that was wider staging and different dots here and there, but I think I like the sparseness of this version;  it's easier to imagine a live band playing it.  I realize the bass part could use some monkeying around with.  I'm no jaco....:D:D  Thanks again!

On 9/21/2020 at 8:35 AM, freddy j said:

Stripped down, raucous, and raw, is what normally attracts me in music.  However, I really liked this piece of music.  A lot of twists and turns, each instrument had an opportunity to present itself, and the touch of some dissonance kept my attention throughout.  I always enjoy what you post and this is no exception.

Freddy, I always worry when someone says always...:D:D but seriously thank you for taking the time to listen and compliment.