Anyone with problems using Waves Scheps Omni Channel plugin on Win10? SOLVED

NOLAGuy

Checking if anyone is/was experiencing problems using the Waves plugin Scheps Omni Channel (SOC) with current versions of Cakewalk running on Win10-64?

It runs fine on my Win7-64 implementation using the Waves v10 version, but I'm trying to migrate to Win10, and most things are working well.

On my Win10, using the Waves v11 version, I cannot reopen a project that has SOC on a track. Cakewalk crashes  with an "Unhandled Exception" error (c0000005) with a reference to the Waves "Wave Shell9-VST3".

If I use the v10 version with Win10, Cakewalk crashes when I try to save a project with SOC in it, but doesn't show an error screen .

I'm about to report the problem to Waves tech support, but I suspect they may try to suggest a Cakewalk issue.

Edited by Charles Czerny
Updated because I posted solution.

Just loaded and saved, and then reopened a new project with Waves Scheps Omni Channel v10.0.62.38, VST3 without issue. Running the latest Cakewalk 2020.09 here on Win10 Pro 2004 x64, with patch updates thru August 2020. Deferring September Win10 updates for a few more weeks.

I would try re-installing Scheps, or else see what Waves support says. They are usually very responsive.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/14/2020 at 1:28 AM, Charles Czerny said:

Checking if anyone is/was experiencing problems using the Waves plugin Scheps Omni Channel (SOC) with current versions of Cakewalk running on Win10-64?

It runs fine on my Win7-64 implementation using the Waves v10 version, but I'm trying to migrate to Win10, and most things are working well.

On my Win10, using the Waves v11 version, I cannot reopen a project that has SOC on a track. Cakewalk crashes  with an "Unhandled Exception" error (c0000005) with a reference to the Waves "Wave Shell9-VST3".

If I use the v10 version with Win10, Cakewalk crashes when I try to save a project with SOC in it, but doesn't show an error screen .

I'm about to report the problem to Waves tech support, but I suspect they may try to suggest a Cakewalk issue.

I have the same problem on one of my projects. Just downloaded the demo today to test Omni Channel, and used the plugin for some tracks. Working fine, saved the project and closed Cakewalk. Later I tried to open the project, but I get the same message as you. Had to uninstall the plugin before I could open the project.. Repair and reboot did not help. 

Hope you get a response from the support team. 

I seem to recall having a problem with it at some point. 

I haven't, lately. In general, freeze tracks with automation and/or fx that use a lot of cpu, check that your mixing latency buffer setting is sufficient and make sure that you have the latest updates from MS -- the automatic ones aren't enough, you have to manually check. It isn't just the SOC, there was Auto Align and something else that gave me trouble.

If those things don't help, the guys at Waves are very helpful.

I LOVE SOC and use it on many things. I just used the DS2 to get rid of plosives on a vocal track in about 5 minutes 😁

Win 10 Pro
Intel Core i7-3770 @ 3.40 GHz, 3.40 GHz
16 GB RAM
64 bit op sys
Lynx Aurora 16 ADC w/ AES16e card

The underlying problem with using Scheps Omni Channel from Waves, was my never reading the Waves instructions on accessing/changing presets.

For most plugins, I use the (Cakewalk?) standard plugin navigation, where I use the uppermost Preset selection bar, which generally opens a list of all available presets. This also worked on all my other seven Waves plugins.

However, on the Scheps Omni Channel plugin, the Waves guideline which is to use the Waves toolbar for preset selection applies. All the blowups I experienced were due to some change made on the Cakewalk Preset selection bar, even if accidental, e.g. if you mistakenly use the CW Preset Selection bar and try to delete the entry, seems you cannot undo the underlying problem even if you get back to the default preset selection "Full Reset".

As long as I use the Waves toolbar for preset review and selection, it works fine, i.e. saving and re-opening projects with no problems.

I've noted the problem with Waves Tech Support and they replied they will forward it to Waves product development as a "fix" suggestion.

Until some future time, use the Waves toolbar for preset selection with the SOC plugin.