midi velocity

jono grant

Hey there, 

I have a midi snare track that was triggered from a live snare track. I want to eliminate all the low velocity hits and just keep the high velocity hits. In other words, remove the ghosted snares and just keep the punchy main snares.

I tried to do this with the cakewalk velocity plug in but it didn't work. How can I eliminate the lower velocity notes from the midi file? I know I can go through and delete by hand but I thought i could use a process to do it somehow.

Any help appreciated!

Cheers

You're on the right track. It's the MIDI Filter plugin you want for this job. Set the minimum velocity to, say, 40 (just guessing where your ghost notes fall). That's it. You can either filter them out nondestructively in real time or bounce the track with FX to get rid of them for good. I'd recommend the former just in case you realize later that you've removed some hits you wanted to keep.

• Great Idea 1

also - a very quick method is to zoom out  until the entire track length is visible in PRV. Go to the extreme right hand side and right click and drag your mouse left to capture only the velocity range you wish to edit. It should select only those notes defined by the window height that grabs the velocities. - hit delete. It becomes very quick and intuitive to select velocities ranges this way for other kinds of edits.