Offline-DAWs: How frequently is registering required?

twelvetone

Whilst preparing to update to this current version and before connecting to the internet I first started Cakewalk and I got a popup in RED saying I must register using BandLab Assistant.

I have never seen this popup before.

The installed version was 2020.08, so not that long ago.

How often does one have to register?

On another PC I have 2020.05 installed. There I did NOT get this popup.

There seems to be changes made as time goes on. I set up a laptop over a year and a half ago for my bandmate to record his parts at home. It ran without an issue until this July when he finally got that pop up. Took me a 10 minutes to update it and all is fine once again. He doesn't have internet were he lives. Only a Cell data plan so the update thing sucks. I could always set him up running Sonar Splat, but it so nice to have the software up to date when transferring.  

Note that starting with version 2020.09 build 006 (the current version as this is posted) BandLab Assistant is no longer needed to obtain updates.  V2020.09 Release Notes

The Cakewalk by BandLab Help menu has the capability to go online, check for updates, download and install future updates.

The Cakewalk by BandLab Help menu also has offline activation capability.  You can "export an authorization request" (a token file) to a memory stick, use an internet enabled device to enable the token file and then "import the activation response" to reauthorize the offline DAW program.

Edited by Jim Fogle
Added link

• 1 month later...

Hi guys!

I try to understand the install of cakewalk. 

Because I want to make a friend, that doesn't have any internet access where he lives, happy with the DAW. So I wanted to collect all installers and dotNET/vcruntimes on a USB thum stick.

How can I make this possible? 

I didn't find an offline installer and there seems to be no way to register without internet. Did I miss something?

Edited by rtcuba

Don't think there's a way to make it work It's a  flaw in the system but I would imagine the company is not going to fix it. The target market for this stuff is very connected to the internet. 

But to have to do it randomly every ?? I just got the pop up on another laptop I don't use much anymore and I think it's only been 3 months. Cakewalk has become a "connected" product and not much you can do. If you have Splat why don't you install that on his computer. It will be good forever. 

It's not a ”flaw” in the system, it's by design. You can authorize an offline machine by following the offline activation workflow.

Cakewalk won't get randomly unauthorized beyond the normal 6 month period unless the system has been updated in some way to break the authorization. In the activation message there  is an error code that should indicate what the source of the problem is.

Sorry Noel, I guess Flaw was a wrong choice of words. I don't mind the system  other than the issues with updating the assistant and that never goes correctly. If you read the threads you'll see a lot of us have to jump through hoops to update and it's not Cakewalk but the assistant. Mabey the new method will work better if we are not forced to update the assistant.  

It just annoying to always have to update software you don't use or care about-- like iTunes :)  I'll never complain about updates to Cakewalk- keep 'em coming! 

My studio has no internet and barely one bar of cell signal (on a good day).

Is there a way to download and save the big cakewalk application file and then install that on the machine that doesn't have  internet?  In the past, the downloaded file got deleted.  Wonder if it stays on your machine somewhere now with offline auth.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, micv said:

My studio has no internet and barely one bar of cell signal (on a good day).

I'd have no internet at all and can't move the device to any place with internet access. So I guess, Cakewalk is out. It doesn't seem interesting for the company to support offline use.

As long as you have an internet connection *somewhere* at an internet cafe or something you can activate cakewalk. All you need is to install BandLab assistant there and download the activation request as explained in the documentation. Its dead simple to do and is similar to what we had earlier with SONAR.

7 hours ago, John Vere said:

Sorry Noel, I guess Flaw was a wrong choice of words. I don't mind the system  other than the issues with updating the assistant and that never goes correctly. If you read the threads you'll see a lot of us have to jump through hoops to update and it's not Cakewalk but the assistant. Mabey the new method will work better if we are not forced to update the assistant.  

It just annoying to always have to update software you don't use or care about-- like iTunes :)  I'll never complain about updates to Cakewalk- keep 'em coming! 

If you check the release notes in the latest release its no longer necessary to activate using Assistant. Cakewalk will self activate as long as it has an internet connection and you log in to your bandlab account from within Cakewalk.

7 minutes ago, Noel Borthwick said:

As long as you have an internet connection *somewhere* at an internet cafe or something you can activate cakewalk. All you need is to install BandLab assistant there and download the activation request as explained in the documentation. Its dead simple to do and is similar to what we had earlier with SONAR.

My issue would be to have an offliner installer first hand. Activation stuff and handling I could do for my friend later from where I live

3 hours ago, Noel Borthwick said:

As of 2020.10 you will be presented with in-app updates whenever an update is available.
Updates are downloaded to a Cakewalk subfolder in your local Downloads folder. So you can transfer the installer easily from an online machine to an offline one.

This is good news. You could save the installers in the past, but you needed to grab them before you hit the install button. Then they were gone. 

If I'm hearing correctly -Cakewalk will no longer go into demo mode every 3-6 months?