Sonar X3e first with popping and now no sound at all

2 minutes ago, John said:

Nothing wrong with being cautious. It just sounds too bazaar to me.   

Yeah.  Like you accuse me of not doing my own "testing" a few weeks ago just because I posted a thread asking if an update was safe.  You didn't bother to look at the entire context of the initial post.  You just assume that I was lazy and expected other people to do the "testing" for me.  Nothing was farther from the truth.  I really don't like the attitude of some people here.  We're supposed to be a community to help each other.  You claim 30000 posts and tutorials, but you are obviously not much of a people person, are you?  I'm truly glad I don't know you in the real world.

1 minute ago, Johnbee58 said:

Yeah.  Like you accuse me of not doing my own "testing" a few weeks ago just because I posted a thread asking if an update was safe.  You didn't bother to look at the entire context of the initial post.  You just assume that I was lazy and expected other people to do the "testing" for me.  Nothing was farther from the truth.  I really don't like the attitude of some people here.  We're supposed to be a community to help each other.  You claim 30000 posts and tutorials, but you are obviously not much of a people person, are you?  I'm truly glad I don't know you in the real world.

I thought I explained that then.  My attitude is all about trying to be looking out for my fellow members. I don't mind being wrong about this.  I hope I am. Just be a little careful when things seem very odd.  As for your post back then my thinking was and still is that the only way to know about Cakewalk is to try it. Sorry if that seems a bad attitude.

5 minutes ago, John said:

I thought I explained that then.  My attitude is all about trying to be looking out for my fellow members. I don't mind being wrong about this.  I hope I am. Just be a little careful when things seem very odd.  As for your post back then my thinking was and still is that the only way to know about Cakewalk is to try it. Sorry if that seems a bad attitude.

And I told you that I was beyond TRYING Cakewalk by Bandlab.  I had been using it for several months but because I was in the midst of a project ( which you also made light of) and didn't want to chance having the program freeze on launch (which other people were experiencing at that time with that update). I just was going to hold off updating until the problem was solved. 

3 minutes ago, Johnbee58 said:

And I told you that I was beyond TRYING Cakewalk by Bandlab.  I had been using it for several months but because I was in the midst of a project ( which you also made light of) and didn't want to chance having the program freeze on launch (which other people were experiencing at that time with that update). I just was going to hold off updating until the problem was solved. 

Fine. One will do what one wants to do. So you knew that there might be problems and you still asked. What good would a positive answer be to you?  You would still have to try it for yourself. Or you could hold off until you were more free to test. It is and always has been up to you to decide.  At any rate what does that have to with this thread? 

2 hours ago, user6851820567124302 said:

OK. I'm testing with a Behringer UCA222.

Works better for a longer time,  but Cakewalk still crush at one moment.

Like a crack-pop in a eternal loop.

I have one of those that came with a Behringer Mixer. They use USB Codex.  So not ASIO, A very small step up from using the 1/8" mini jack. Nothing wrong with the device. I have used mine for live performance playback for years. Always worked. But if your overdubbing audio it will be out of sync. You will need to adjust your timing offset in preferences.  You can see by my loopback test that it performs better using it's generic driver than in WASAPI mode.   

I agree with Krupa, you will need to completely get rid of all traces of the Creative driver. In my case I had to re install W7 to clean my system. Otherwise even if you do get a proper interlace the Creative driver will screw things up. 

HS Loopback test.jpg

• Like 1

John and John, c'mon, no need to get into an Amish rakefight over how people answer some dude's questions about an old soundcard and old version of Sonar.

Viewed from the window of a space liner returning from a 3-year visit to Mars, does it seem significant whether some guy with a joke handle like "Starship Krupa" takes this guy's efforts seriously?

And what, pray tell, would someone stand to gain by pretending to have an issue with Sonar X3e on a computer that has an Audigy card? To go to all the trouble of registering a new Bandlab account and then coming up with a fake .INI file and all that?

I already tossed my best advice: lose both the antique shoot-em-up card and Ye Olde Sonare X3e.

One BIG thing: an old PCI card like that could possibly be affecting things on the bus, so when I said "pull it," I meant physically remove it from its slot and enable the onboard sound device. Don't just leave it in and then keep trying other things. If you're testing another interface, you don't need the card in there anyway, so simplify things as much as possible.

15 hours ago, msmcleod said:

I agree, given that purchasing a new audio interface is off the cards, using the on-board sound device might be the best bet. The drivers are likely to be more compatible with Windows 10.

Personally however, I'd recommend WASAPI over ASIO4all for on-board devices, but it's worth trying them both,

In order to use the onboard sound (Realtek), you may need to go into W10 Device Manager, go down to "Sound, video, and game controllers" and specifically right click on the SoundBlaster and "Disable Device." Having those driver in play will confuse Windows. Do not uninstall it... W10 will just re-install and re-enable it on you.

As mentioned above, both WASAPI "shared" (I also agree this is best choice) and ASIO4ALL will work in CbB for audio playback, but they will not for recording audio. I have run both of these modes for mixing, and recording MIDI and they work fine. These will both conflict with the SB drivers if you do not specifically disable that device. I would also go into "Sound" in the Control Panel, highlight the Realtek, then "Properties" in the lower right. In the "Advanced" tab, set it to "24-bit, 44100 HZ (Studio Quality)," and make sure that both "Exclusive Modes" at the bottom of that tab are unchecked. CbB should default to 24/44.1 unless you changed that, so the RealTek should "match" and not have issues playing back through the RealTek.

ALSO... some applications will seize the audio drivers and lock bit-rate on you, so when working as a DAW, be sure to open the DAW first (if you must multi-task), but I highly recommended that you only run the DAW if working in "DAW-mode."

As someone who first came into this forum 15 years ago for essentially the same reasoning as the OP, as much as you want to fight a "real" audio interface, you will find that futile (for recording audio). If working with only MIDI and audio playback, both WASAPI and ASIO4ALL will suffice if using CbB.

Windows 10 with sonar X3 and an old? Audigy card.

I've found DAW systems run best when your OS, audio card and DAW are all around the same age, must be a sweet spot or something. You can run windows 10 with Cakewalk, then all you need to do is update the Audigy to something more modern. The Audigy is not really a DAW editing card, it is more for gamers and for multimedia cinematic functions.

I recall trying to use soundblaster cards in a DAW environment, it just seemed I was always having one issue or another, plus they don't have any XLR inputs and those little 3.5 plugs everywhere.

Also, windows updates can sometimes stuff up old sound card drivers.

5 hours ago, John said:

Fine. One will do what one wants to do. So you knew that there might be problems and you still asked. What good would a positive answer be to you?  You would still have to try it for yourself. Or you could hold off until you were more free to test. It is and always has been up to you to decide.  At any rate what does that have to with this thread? 

One will do what one wants to do.   For once, we agree.  But you make somebody feel as if they have no right to come on to this forum and ask a ("such as ridiculous") question.  That's what is relevant to this thread.  The OP had a legitimate question (just like I did) and you use an accusatory attitude on him (just like you did me).

All I'm saying is "Be nice".  You don't have a problem with that, do you?!

"Amish rake fight".  I like that!🤣

Edited by Johnbee58

DITCH THAT SOUNDBLASTER AND GET A REAL AUDIO INTERFACE!

Seriously. 

Who cares that "it was working before?" It ain't working now. They are known garbage.  Get rid of it. Pull it out and smash it with a hammer. And don't tell us you can't afford a real interface; you have an i7 and 24GB of RAM.  And Miroslav 2.

No offense, but you are like the guy with a $140,000 Mercedes SL complaining it doesn't run right but instead of putting premium unleaded in the tank like they tell you to, you insist on running the 50/50 mix of turpentine and dirty water from the Cheesy Mart.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, user6851820567124302 said:

OK. I'm testing with a Behringer UCA222.

Works better for a longer time,  but Cakewalk still crush at one moment.

Like a crack-pop in a eternal loop.

Behringer used to provide their own official ASIO drivers for this, before they decided to force you to use ASIO4ALL.

They still work on Windows 10, and perform much better than ASIO4ALL.

Behringer have since removed them from their website, but you can download them here: http://www.123dj.com/audio/mp3s/uca222.html

• Like 1

I didn't even know they made/sold those Soundblasters anymore.  Why open your PC if you don't have to.  There is an easier way.

But Hey, if that's how the guy wants to fly who are we to say he's wrong?  As long as it makes him happy........

😀John B

9 minutes ago, Johnbee58 said:

....But Hey, if that's how the guy wants to fly who are we to say he's wrong?  As long as it makes him happy........

😀John B

But you can't fly on the back of a pig.

There's all kinds of people with FAR less computer running SONAR/ Cakewalk without any of these issues at all. 

Hey, thanks for that link, cool. I just downloaded and will test on my beater Sony laptop. 

10 hours ago, msmcleod said:

Behringer used to provide their own official ASIO drivers for this, before they decided to force you to use ASIO4ALL.

They still work on Windows 10, and perform much better than ASIO4ALL.

Behringer have since removed them from their website, but you can download them here: http://www.123dj.com/audio/mp3s/uca222.html

I find this interesting in the notes..  

3. IMPORTANT NOTES:
-------------------
-> Driver will be installed ONLY on USB port where your hardware is connected while installation!

-> After installation ALL other audio drivers are blocked on this USB port!

-> For using different drivers: Connect your USB audio hardware to a different USB port.

-> Alternative drivers which work fine with the named hardware products:
   Vista + Windows 7: ASIO4ALL (see providers homepage)

OK so all seems to work fine. Had an issue with sharing drivers. Win Amp for some reason wanted WDM  and I had to re boot computer to get it to play. But I re opened Cakewalk and projects are playing using ASIO. SO this makes the old Laptop more useful to me now.  The Behringer ( mine is a UCA 200)  was gather dust. 

With a small mixer I will have a 100%  usable ASIO system.  

And check this out, rock solid loopback timing. And if I had a better computer hooked up you can set the buffers pretty low and get good RTL. 

2019-03-03 (4).png

2019-03-03 (1).png

2019-03-03 (2).png

Edited by Cactus Music

back to the OP. 

I recommend you physically remove the card, I had to. Disable and uninstall everything that say's creative. 

Download the ASIO Behringer driver and follow instructions.  Only issue is the driver was made for W7 which is what I'm using successfully. You may have different results but it's worth the few minutes to try it. Many W7 drivers work fine under W10. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Cactus Music said:

back to the OP. 

I recommend you physically remove the card, I had to. Disable and uninstall everything that say's creative. 

Download the ASIO Behringer driver and follow instructions.  Only issue is the driver was made for W7 which is what I'm using successfully. You may have different results but it's worth the few minutes to try it. Many W7 drivers work fine under W10. 

I'll try remove the card.

Behringer drivers are from 2009. OMG.

2 hours ago, Byron Dickens said:

But you can't fly on the back of a pig.

There's all kinds of people with FAR less computer running SONAR/ Cakewalk without any of these issues at all. 

Yeah, He should take the plunge.  I agree.  But who's problem is it if he doesn't?

7 hours ago, user6851820567124302 said:

I'll try remove the card.

Behringer drivers are from 2009. OMG.

Ya, That's what I was saying,, they are working just fine on W7  but it's worth a shot to see if they work under W10.  

If it does not work then you will have no choice but to use your on board sound chip.. 

It's like this:

Real ASIO USB audio interface = $ 100- $ infinity

Behringers UCA series= $25-$30 ,, ( I got mine free with a $200 Behringer mixerwhich blew up after 1 year) 

On Board sound = $ Free  (but probably that part cost $4.) 

You can "get by" with on board under WASAPI ( or asio4all)  but you will need to perform a loopback test like I did to make sure you have proper sync between overdubbed tracks.  

And myself I'm not sure how in the world one would plug a SM 58 into that little jack :0 

4 hours ago, Cactus Music said:

Ya, That's what I was saying,, they are working just fine on W7  but it's worth a shot to see if they work under W10.  

If it does not work then you will have no choice but to use your on board sound chip.. 

It's like this:

Real ASIO USB audio interface = $ 100- $ infinity

Behringers UCA series= $25-$30 ,, ( I got mine free with a $200 Behringer mixerwhich blew up after 1 year) 

On Board sound = $ Free  (but probably that part cost $4.) 

You can "get by" with on board under WASAPI ( or asio4all)  but you will need to perform a loopback test like I did to make sure you have proper sync between overdubbed tracks.  

And myself I'm not sure how in the world one would plug a SM 58 into that little jack :0 

I've tried them on Windows 10.

They work fine.