Sonar X3e first with popping and now no sound at all

Yes the OP's issue for sure will most likely be solved with using a proper ASIO audio interface.  An Audio interface is the heart of any DAW system.  Creative makes cards for Gaming, not DAW's. 

You can get buy with WASAPI and on board sound chips for doing some basic editing, I do this from time to time, But projects with a lot of VST's often stutter for me in that mode.  I had to pull my old Audigy II PCI card from my office computer when I upgraded to W10. It worked fine under W7. I now use a even older PCI card made by Card Deluxe, but they had written W10 drivers which is amazing since the card was made in 2004.  It's only duty is play music and watch movies but it's using ASIO drivers and quite capable with Sonar.  

2 hours ago, user6851820567124302 said:

I tried bandlab cakewalk. Ty for the tip.

Exactly same problem.

So, must be win10 with some update tha are creating a issue with creative drivers.

Sucks.

Why are you so resistant to losing the Soundblaster?

All kinds of issues with Soundblaster  drivers, especially with windows 10, which doesn't support your card. You've a decent PC. Spend a few dollars on a low cost interface and like Cactus advises, launch that old Soundblaster. Time to move on.

Oh man, heartbreak city on the Soundblaster. I'd rather pull the thing out and use ASIO4ALL with the Realtek chip. At least my audio wouldn't be needlessly resampled to 48K and back no matter what the settings.

The one thing I have the Soundblaster Live to thank for is that back around 2002 or so in their heyday I couldn't figure out why the DAT transfers I was doing with mine lacked something, so I scoured Usenet and found out about bit perfect digital audio. I went out and bought a $14 sound card that had the almighty CMedia CMi 8738 chip on it and a header for the S/PDIF

The first DAT transfer I did with the resulting kluge, the master tape of my girlfriend's album, literally brought me to tears due to the fact that she was away when I did it and when I played it back it sounded like she was in the room with me. When she came home I played it for her and she started crying because it took her back to the time of recording the album. I felt like we were in a mad scientist movie where the characters invent a device to transfer emotions from person to person.

So the messed up design of the SB Live turned me on to my own sensitivity to phase smearing or group delay or whatever it is that suffers when resampling algorithms turn sour.

I said it before: you have a nice, capable system. Running the antique version of the DAW through a Soundblaster Live (sorry "Audigy") gaming card, it's like you've got bald tires on your Porsche and are trying to find a way for it not to go out of control in the corners.

22 hours ago, Starship Krupa said:

Dump Sonar 3Xe for heaven's sake!

Every minute you spend farting around trying to get it to work now that you can use Cakewalk by Bandlab for free is wasted time unless you're on one of those TV shows where you live in primitive conditions in order to win a prize.

"So, user6851820567124302, how is your project to attempt to use the technology of the early '10's to create orchestral music on a computer coming along?"

You have Miroslav 2 and a 3.5GH i7 with 24GB of RAM to run your DAW on, why are you insulting them by using a DAW from 6 years ago?

If your system were working fine and you didn't want to touch it, I'd get it, or if it cost a lot to upgrade to Cakewalk, I'd get it, but your system is hosed and you're trying to get the obsolete version of the program to work?

Don't do that, that's a waste of time and computer resources! Throw Cakewalk on there and you can even get help from Bandlab staff. And it's a better program.

While I agree with the assessment, the attitude is uncalled for.

😐

1 hour ago, user6851820567124302 said:

I have no money and lost my job. 

If the sound card with Sonar worked OK 'til a few months, must be a solution.

I thought that was the case.

Some use ASIO4ALL instead of the manufacturer drivers.

Is the card also being used for Windows sound? That will create problems.

Pull the card out, remove all drivers and software.  If possible remove all registry entries.  Boot the system so there's no evidence it's there.  Install again.

The issue can be with Windows 10 if it was upgraded.  Some things get reset and are hard to track down.

It appears this device is still supported by Creative.

Edited by kitekrazy

1 hour ago, user6851820567124302 said:

I have no money and lost my job. 

Sorry to hear that. The biggest problem is Windows 10 and the fact your older card is not supported. As others have said you might be better off dropping the Soundblaster and using an on board card instead even with ASIO4ALL.

(Edit) - kitecrazy has it....

Edited by Brando

45 minutes ago, Johnbee58 said:

😐

Tough to assess 'attitude' from text. I reread the post and still see only eagerness to help out a fellow user.

• Like 1

If you have an onboard sound card, install the free ASIO4all driver and see if that combo works.  If it does, then you've isolated the Soundblaster as the problem.

If the above doesn't help, then the next step is do a clean uninstall/reinstall of Sonar.  This includes deleting registry entries, so you need to be careful or let someone who's more tech savvy do it for you (Do a search to find the step-by-step instructions.  They've been posted in the old Sonar forums many times).

Edited by JonD

3 minutes ago, JonD said:

If you have an onboard sound card, install the free ASIO4all driver and see if that combo works.  If it does, then you've isolated the Soundblaster as the problem.

If the above doesn't help, then the next step is do a clean uninstall/reinstall of Sonar.  This includes deleting registry entries, so you need to be careful or let someone who'd more tech savvy do it for you (Do a search to find the step-by-step instructions.  They've been posted in the old Sonar forums many times).

I agree, given that purchasing a new audio interface is off the cards, using the on-board sound device might be the best bet. The drivers are likely to be more compatible with Windows 10.

Personally however, I'd recommend WASAPI over ASIO4all for on-board devices, but it's worth trying them both,

2 hours ago, Johnbee58 said:

😐

Aw, John, no attitude meant other than "c'mon, man, it's time to dump that stuff so we can get you going." Leavened with a dollop of my usual silliness.

I've learned to live with the idea that some people want to stick with an older, unsupported program because they have it all set up and functioning in a working studio and they depend on it and don't want to mess with it. Maybe they use the extra load time to do mic checks.

The people who believe that freeware licensing is part of a conspiracy to rob us of our precious bodily fluids are dealt with in other ways.😉

I was once a professional support technician for a software company, and a good one (so I was told by my supervisors and by the people whose systems I rescued), and my bosses and leads were very good at what they did and taught me some very good lessons and practices that I have been able to apply to other disciplines as my career has continued its zig-zag path. One thing that most software support people will do to ease the way to the user's system becoming functional again is get them on the most recent build possible as soon as possible.

Keeping old installations and old revisions of software running is a systems administration no-no. The further away you get from current patch level, the likelier you are to have something go badly wrong, and the harder it will be to set it right when it does. Oh, these Pro Tools studios that are still on Pro Tools 9 and whatever version of MacOS you have to stay on to be able to run it. 🤦‍♀️ They'll get to the point where Apple won't give them an upgrade path for the OS, and if one component fails, that's it. Sitting on a pile of scrap.

This is why I am often one of the first (along with abacab and Chuck E., I notice, good on ya, lads) to pop into these "my Sonar X1 o nooo" threads to remind the participants that there is a supported version of the software available for free. They are attempting to get a piece of software to function that, new features and performance enhancements aside, is like 75 months behind Cakewalk on bug fixes. If that 2013 date is correct, there are people today with college degrees who were in middle school when Sonar X3e was on the shelves.

And no lie, I get better results with WASAPI or ASIO4ALL through a Realtek chip than I did with the last SB Live I ran. The drivers have been the Achilles heel for that product line since the beginning, over 20 years ago.

4 hours ago, user6851820567124302 said:

The thing is, we can't look at just the two of them in isolation.

A computer system is so complex, and a DAW is one of the most demanding uses a personal computer can be put to, especially from a system integration standpoint.

You could have installed some software, or Microsoft could have pushed out an update or a new driver for some bit of hardware on your system that broke it.

Those of us who run trailing edge hardware (and I do it, my dear FP10's are 15 years old, they date back to the Windows XP days, will have the day come when the drivers for our stuff will just stop working.

At least try pulling the Audigy out just as a test. If things start working again, you've narrowed it down and can start working on getting your Audigy to cooperate.

• Like 1

Thank you all.

A friend will send me a old ASUS SONAR to try.

Internal sound card do no work with ASIO4ALL, I did try. 

Still...Cakewalk open now but the sound works only if i do not change the project. Then sound a big pop and just silence. 

Another thing: Both, Sonar X3e and Cakewak open the project (with 22 midi tracks and 4 wav) very, very slowly.

Thanx for your tips.

Edited by user6851820567124302

35 minutes ago, user6851820567124302 said:

Thank you all.

A friend will send me a old ASUS SONAR to try.

Internal sound card do no work with ASIO4ALL, I did try. 

Still...Cakewalk open now but the sound works only if i do not change the project. Then sound a big pop and just silence. 

Another thing: Both, Sonar X3e and Cakewak open the project (with 22 midi tracks and 4 wav) very, very slowly.

Thanx for your tips.

Looking at your system specs, it looks like your system should be performing much better than this. Also, I see that your sound-blaster does actually have a dedicated ASIO driver.

Apart from your audio device, your PC is a slightly better spec than mine, and mine runs pretty quickly.

I'm wondering if there's a hardware fault somewhere - possibly with your soundblaster card. It might be worth removing the soundblaster and see if it improves things at all.

If you've some way of running a diagnostics on your motherboard, that might be worth doing too.

• Like 1

I would be careful here guys.  I don't know the OP and I doubt any of you do either. I think the whole  thing is bit strange.  That user name is a bit much too. X3 is way out of date. 

I could be wrong. 

1 hour ago, John said:

I would be careful here guys.  I don't know the OP and I doubt any of you do either. I think the whole  thing is bit strange.  That user name is a bit much too. X3 is way out of date. 

I could be wrong. 

Gee!  What could he be hiding?  Russian collusion maybe?  Lighten up!

• Haha 2