Had Enough!!

Shayne Malone

Question

So I upgraded my Sonar 8 Producer to the Bandlab version. 

I have recorded 11 tracks for a new album and it sounds great. Except during three of the tracks/projects, I get errors of corrupt audio files and padded silence. I searched and searched and tried everything. Whole projects no longer play. I have had enough. I have lost whole projects that will just cut out, no audio on any track.  NOthing but a waste of time and extreme frustration has been caused.

This isn't a question. No one seems to be able to fix the issue and I have had to give up on it. Whole songs ready to be rendered for mastering, GONE!

Time to move onto another programme. It is sad for me, but I cannot do this anymore! 

• Sad 1

6 answers to this question

6 hours ago, Shayne Malone said:

I have recorded 11 tracks for a new album and it sounds great. Except during three of the tracks/projects, I get errors of corrupt audio files and padded silence. I searched and searched and tried everything. Whole projects no longer play. I have had enough. I have lost whole projects that will just cut out, no audio on any track.  NOthing but a waste of time and extreme frustration has been caused.

This isn't a question. No one seems to be able to fix the issue and I have had to give up on it. Whole songs ready to be rendered for mastering, GONE!

Time to move onto another programme. It is sad for me, but I cannot do this anymore! 

Honestly, it sounds like you have a bad HDD that is about to die.  If I were you I would urgently back up everything.  In over 20 years of using Sonar/Cakewalk, I've never once had corrupted audio files.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you have not posted on this forum before and only joined it a few hours ago, so who are you referring to when you say "no one seems to be able to fix the issue".  I hope I'm not feeding the troll...

Edited by Bill Ruys
Deleted wrong attachment
  • Like 3

The only time this has happened to me was when I had a disk failing. I've been using Cakewalk stuff for decades and never had this happen other than file corruption on a dodgy disk. I can definitely say that it absolutely SUCKED losing files and having to rebuild things before I realised what was going on, however. 😑

Like Bill said above, I have to ask though, who did you ask for help with this? You only have one post (the OP), which means it hasn't been anywhere here on the forum, and there's a LOT of very knowledgeable and helpful people on here that could have given you some great advice.

I'd start with a disk scan first and work backwards from there. If that comes up clean, I'd still suggest troubleshooting with a different disk for your project files to rule that out entirely.

Edited by Lord Tim
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Shayne Malone said:

Oh ok.

Downvoted.

With all respect for the frustration expressed, the OP selected the Q&A subforum to post a general complaint in rant form, with no actual questions asked. This suggests to me that they may not be the greatest at watching what they're doing.

As for the suggestions in this thread, which, if they are truly "done" they won't be reading anyway, yes, check the project's Audio folder for the condition of the original audio files. If they're corrupted, there's very likely a dying drive to blame. If they're good, they can at least be used to salvage the project. Import the raw WAV's into whatever other DAW you're not "done" with.

If the issue is somewhere within Cakewalk, then for future reference, Preferences/File/Advanced/Enable Versioning of Project Files is an option that allows the user to easily revert to earlier versions of the project, one for each time it's saved.

And for heaven's sake, before you get to the "whole songs ready for mastering" stage, especially with a program that's new to you, back your projects up to a different drive or CD-R or something.

• Like 2