Jump to content
Evan Hayley

Come Together (Beatles cover)

Recommended Posts

Welcome to the songs forum always a tricky band to cover, did you use a MIDI file for the backing or did you program it in yourself?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Evan Hayley said:

extracted the audio from

You probably need a licence to use it I would think I do not know as I do not do covers.  Have you considered using Cakewalk by Bandlab the PC application, rather then the Bandlab Phone/Web app?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Excellent effort.  I would try and eliminate the pops and crackle in the beginning and end.  Sometimes you see someone singing in their vehicle but this is the first time I've heard someone use a vehicle as an isolation booth.

Welcome to the forum!

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Wookiee said:

You probably need a licence to use it I would think I do not know as I do not do covers.  Have you considered using Cakewalk by Bandlab the PC application, rather then the Bandlab Phone/Web app?

Dude I used to use Cakewalk when it was a sequencer back in 1989! 

I am hoping to get my actual home studio set up again soon. I just moved to another state and not totally settled in yet!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jim Fogle said:

Excellent effort.  I would try and eliminate the pops and crackle in the beginning and end.  Sometimes you see someone singing in their vehicle but this is the first time I've heard someone use a vehicle as an isolation booth.

Welcome to the forum!

Thanks for your feedback and for the welcome!

To record this I sat in the back seat of a Corolla with the windows all rolled up and stretched a blanket across the front seats to block out the front windshield reflections. I once used a folded up mini mattress back there and i think it was better because it completely surrounded my head, but I don't have access to it anymore. 

I don't like to sing sitting down really, but for anyone who doesnt always have a place where they can record, it's wonderful.  

Edited by Evan Hayley

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My favorite "isolation booth" is my clothes closet facing a bunch of winter coats and my clothes behind me.  It gets pretty dark with the closet door closed and no overhead light.  😄

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Jim Fogle said:

My favorite "isolation booth" is my clothes closet facing a bunch of winter coats and my clothes behind me.  It gets pretty dark with the closet door closed and no overhead light.  😄

Dude I'll have to try that soon! Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As I said in the "Paradise" cover thread, I'm usually not one to get all over "exact" covers but this was a great job by keeping the Beatles vibe with the Karaoke track and your vocal leaned a little more towards Steven Tyler's version. So kudos there.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/12/2020 at 9:22 PM, Evan Hayley said:

The isolation of the vocal seemed to be better than in some rooms I've used

This concept has been around for a good number of years now. I'm too lazy to haul a mic cable out to the car and my arms are not long enough to hit the start button. 🙂 

Besides everyone here knows I can't sing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

FWIW, I was using a "DIY Eyeball" thing for a while - basically some acoustic foam wrapped around my RODE NT-1 with a hole cut in the front and a pop filter in front of the hole, but decided I didn't quite like what it did to the sound and went back to bare mic + pop filter. 

Need to play around with isolation techniques some more, though like most of us, it's complicated by the fact that I need to see and operate the screen from wherever I'm singing. So standing in a closet isn't exactly feasable.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/13/2020 at 6:00 PM, Evan Hayley said:

Dude I used to use Cakewalk when it was a sequencer back in 1989! 

I had no need of a PC then, all my programming was being done on HP and IBM mini's running Unix and using terminals. I started using computer MIDI sequencing in 1988 on an Amiga.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/15/2020 at 1:47 AM, Wookiee said:

I had no need of a PC then, all my programming was being done on HP and IBM mini's running Unix and using terminals. I started using computer MIDI sequencing in 1988 on an Amiga.

Wow dude super old school. I never got to use those but I did have the opportunity to use an Amiga for a bit. Nice little machine for it's time. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/14/2020 at 1:39 PM, John Bradley said:

FWIW, I was using a "DIY Eyeball" thing for a while - basically some acoustic foam wrapped around my RODE NT-1 with a hole cut in the front and a pop filter in front of the hole, but decided I didn't quite like what it did to the sound and went back to bare mic + pop filter. 

Need to play around with isolation techniques some more, though like most of us, it's complicated by the fact that I need to see and operate the screen from wherever I'm singing. So standing in a closet isn't exactly feasable.

I did this recording here on my Android (has a nice mic in it) which allows me to see the lyrics up close as I sing. 

I once tried stuffing a microphone in a small box and surrounded it with socks but it sounded like sht. 

It is fun to experiment with for sure. Wasn't there something Lennon did with the vocals and a speaker? I don't quite remember what it was.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/14/2020 at 12:51 PM, Bapu said:

This concept has been around for a good number of years now. I'm too lazy to haul a mic cable out to the car and my arms are not long enough to hit the start button. 🙂 

Besides everyone here knows I can't sing.

I did this recording on my Android (top of the line) so I had no need of cables. I wish I had investigated it sooner! I used the Bandlab mobile app. I had to dick around with it a little bit but it is fairly user friendly. 

You might want to give it a try just for fun! The app has lots of great effects on it.

Edited by Evan Hayley

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/14/2020 at 12:49 PM, Bapu said:

As I said in the "Paradise" cover thread, I'm usually not one to get all over "exact" covers but this was a great job by keeping the Beatles vibe with the Karaoke track and your vocal leaned a little more towards Steven Tyler's version. So kudos there.

Hey thanks man! Very interesting feedback. I usually tend to imitate too much on covers and on this I was trying not to!

Also the Tyler version actually came on the radio just as I was about to park and sing this, which was of course rather trippy, as I had just turned on the radio one song before that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/14/2020 at 3:46 AM, Douglas Kirby said:

I thought you did a pretty good job on this cover - the groove is right where it should be.

Thanks Douglas. Yeah the timing and groove on this one are really important.

I once sang this at karaoke back when I was an alcoholic and I'm sure I didn't find the groove.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...