Relocate paths for Cakewalk Dim Pro?

sadicus

How to safely re link Cakewalk specific instruments? ideally would like to have a "Cakewalk Sample Library" for any of the vst related plugins.
I found several duplicates of DimPro And Rapture and noticed the exe is in the same folder as the samples. This is a completely different structure than every VST where each part is split to:
Program Files for exe
VST Folder  C:\VST for all the vst.dll
S:\Sample Libraries

I'd like to fix the duplicate issue but not sure which dll is linked to the exe

you could use a "junction" (https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/16226/complete-guide-to-symbolic-links-symlinks-on-windows-or-linux/) to map a folder "C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Dimension Pro\Multisamples" to a content folder on the S: drive.

as far as the mapping of DLL & EXE, i think the normal location is in the "C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\VstPlugins\Dimension Pro" - you could probably remove the others in the sample folders and rescan. or rename those DLL and EXE to DLL.REM and EXE.REM (so they're not found by the app) and rename them back if things break.

• Great Idea 1

^^^ this is the best way to do it for any sample-based instrument, because neither the instrument nor the DAW know you've even done it. No settings to fiddle with, no broken projects, no overlooked steps to worry about. It just works. I would leave the instrument itself where it is and just move the samples.

• Great Idea 1

yeah, i do this for most apps - esp if they have more than 100-200mb of samples. it keeps the OS drive free (and smaller), and keeps the active projects drive clear of the sample requests (from the third drive where content is stored). backing up the content is then simple. as @bitflipper pointed out, the apps are none the wiser. as a note - best to keep a record of the junctions in a (backed up text file) so if you do crash, it's easier to recovery (scripting becomes an option :-))