Windows 10 2004 update users

kitekrazy

13 hours ago, abacab said:

Microsoft has a compatibility hold for PCs that they will not offer Win10 2004 to. Apparently there are some hardware configurations that they are  aware of issues with.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/windows-10-2004-list-of-compatibility-issues-blocking-updates/

According to that article, one of the main computers having problems with this version is the Microsoft Surface. Seems to be a bit of irony there

• Haha 3

40 minutes ago, DalaiTom said:

According to that article, one of the main computers having problems with this version is the Microsoft Surface. Seems to be a bit of irony there

It would be ironic if Microsoft hardware hadn't historically had lots of compatibility problems. The PlaysForSure and Zune fiascos to name just two of them that are relevant to this forum.

As a rule, by the time MS figures out its hardware it's either obsolete or on the 4th/5th gen (except for their mice & keyboards).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, marled said:

I don't want to frustrate you, but for me the list of tweaks increases with each Windows update! For me Windows does not get better but worse!

That's why I kept using W8.1. Unfortunately, some software developers don't support W8.1 anymore, and their number will grow.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, abacab said:

One place to start with protecting your privacy in Win 10.

Worried about privacy issues in Windows 10? Here's what you can do.

https://www.computerworld.com/article/3025709/how-to-protect-your-privacy-in-windows-10.html

Thanks abacab.

Do you or anyone else use any Windows 10 tweaker tools and can recommend any? Such as...

https://winaero.com/comment.php?comment.news.1836 

or 

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/ultimate-windows-tweaker-4-windows-10 

Thanks

And a disclaimer about any article on Win 10 settings:

thanks to Microsoft the Win 10 settings are moving target, so depending on when the article was written, certain options may have moved,  combined, or separated, so may not appear exactly the same in your version of Win 10. But the principles remain the same, although you may have to use Google to find the answer to your specifics...

1 minute ago, abacab said:

And a disclaimer about any article on Win 10 settings:

thanks to Microsoft the Win 10 settings are moving target, so depending on when the article was written, certain options may have moved,  combined, or separated, so may not appear exactly the same in your version of Win 10. But the principles remain the same, although you may have to use Google to find the answer to your specifics...

That's always the issue I have with articles and tweak tools. I have bookmarked quite a few in the past only to find that their recommendations are out of date on the next Windows update.

Just now, ZincT said:

Thanks abacab.

Do you or anyone else use any Windows 10 tweaker tools and can recommend any? Such as...

https://winaero.com/comment.php?comment.news.1836 

or 

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/ultimate-windows-tweaker-4-windows-10 

Thanks

I don't use any tools other than the Win 10 settings, registry editor, or since I have Win10 Pro, I also use the GP editor.

I don't fully trust 3rd party tools, because they usually mess with the registry under the hood. I prefer to make changes to that manually with a registry backup first.

• Great Idea 1

I wish I could list every tweak that I have done to Win 10, but I have been running the same copy for over 4 years.

Now it is a well oiled machine that mostly does what I want it to. But I've been chipping away at it, bit by bit.

A learning curve! 🤪🙃🤣

Edited by abacab
  • Like 2

On 9/14/2020 at 10:47 AM, abacab said:

I don't use any tools other than the Win 10 settings, registry editor, or since I have Win10 Pro, I also use the GP editor.

Same here, and I have it all pretty much running smoothly.

Since I have Windows 10 Home, I had to take extra steps to enable Group Policy Editor, but it does come with it. It's not a big deal to do so. It's funny, it reminds me of how CbB comes with TL-64, PX-64, and VX-64, but in order to use them, you have to go into Plug-In Manager and take them off the Excluded list.

Enable Group Policy Editor in Windows 10 Home Edition (at Major Geeks)

The first best thing to do as a DAW user is to get Windows Defender out from between your disk and your DAW. By default, Defender is configured to scan every file that every program accesses, in real time. That means every plug-in, every sample, every library, and even the audio and project files. I discovered this while using Process Monitor to see what my disk access looked like during a Cakewalk session. There was Cakewalk doing its expected thing, but then there was this other process that was accessing the same files.

I'm a curmudgeon, so I disabled all realtime scanning on my system using Group Policy Editor. If you would prefer to color inside the lines, it's a simple matter to go into Settings and exclude your plug-ins, DAW programs, DAW projects, and audio folders from realtime scanning. As with all such tuning steps, any performance difference will be more apparent on resource-challenged systems, but I figure I might as well give the heavy hitter programs the cleanest environment possible. There's just so much background crap going on all the time.

I also found a program called Process Lasso that, while it makes some disputed claims about increasing realtime response for foreground programs and their children, has another very handy feature where it will terminate any process that you tell it to. With extreme prejudice. It will take down things that Task Manager or even Process Explorer won't. It shows a list of running processes, you click on them and tell it to exclude them and it will kill them whenever it's running, and if the processes re-spawn, it will kill them again. I once watched Process Lasso duke it out with Apple mobile device services and iTunes Helper. Trying to shut down background Apple services is like playing whack-a-mole, because terminating one will trigger a launch of another, which will check to make sure its fellow services are running and start them again.

The Apple services would restart in less than a second, and Process Lasso would smack them down every time. This went on for about 2 minutes, which in computer time is a long time. Then the Apple Services just gave up in defeat and stayed down. I don't know how or why, but ever since then, when Process Lasso knocks out Apple Services, they stay down. Maybe there was some learning going on on one side or the other.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/14/2020 at 10:43 AM, ZincT said:

Older Geeks.com has a lot of utility and other software. They claim no ads, all free and no crapware all of which I've found to be true.
Might be helpful for someone here.

https://www.oldergeeks.com/index.html

• Thanks 1