Windows 10 2004 update users

kitekrazy

13 hours ago, JoeGBradford said:

I'm holding off until I'm forced to install. Heard too many complaints about it. It doesn't seem to offer anything I actually need so hopefully any bugs will be ironed out by the time I have to update

I was thinking the same with my new PC but when I came to create the Win 10 Pro media for it in July I found that Microsoft only provided the 2004 media creation tool so I was forced to go that route. It made me wish that I had backed up a copy of the 1909 media creation tool. I did find copies of older media creation tools on the Internet but didn't fancy taking my chances with non Microsoft sourced versions. I am still on 1909 on my old PC but there's no pressing need to upgrade that. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, marled said:

I cannot remember any Windows 10 update that had something new that I really needed!

Four features I personally have liked from updates since the first Windows 10 release are:

• Dark mode for Windows Explorer (though it would have been nice had they kept the 1 pixel accent-colour border around the window)
  • An updated version of Calculator, with a few new features
  • Updates to the UI to allow transparency on some of the windows
  • Ability to link your Windows license (if it's a full license, rather than an OEM) to a Microsoft account, meaning that it's possible to transfer your license across to a new computer

Of course, this is my list of features that I like; YMMV/others may feel differently/etc..

• Like 1

8 hours ago, antler said:

Four features I personally have liked from updates since the first Windows 10 release are:

• Dark mode for Windows Explorer (though it would have been nice had they kept the 1 pixel accent-colour border around the window)
  • An updated version of Calculator, with a few new features
  • Updates to the UI to allow transparency on some of the windows
  • Ability to link your Windows license (if it's a full license, rather than an OEM) to a Microsoft account, meaning that it's possible to transfer your license across to a new computer

Of course, this is my list of features that I like; YMMV/others may feel differently/etc..

Worth it I guess.

1 hour ago, cclarry said:

5 times....last time I turned ATI off and Bitdefender...same result...downloads, installs to 75%
and then reverts back to 1909....that's enough for me to say forget it!

I literally had the same issue. Take a snapshot and run CC cleaner and let it clean the registry and everything.  It is named after you after all!

12 hours ago, ZincT said:

I was thinking the same with my new PC but when I came to create the Win 10 Pro media for it in July I found that Microsoft only provided the 2004 media creation tool so I was forced to go that route. It made me wish that I had backed up a copy of the 1909 media creation tool. I did find copies of older media creation tools on the Internet but didn't fancy taking my chances with non Microsoft sourced versions. I am still on 1909 on my old PC but there's no pressing need to upgrade that. 

It makes no difference now days, I have all versions of the media creation tools back a long way, if you run them now you will only get the latest version regardless. Fortunately I kept copies of the ISO's going back to1511 if I ever want them, but I am happy with1903 on my music PC's, I'll sit there for the foreseeable future, was actually happy sitting on 1803 but went chasing an issue with a plugin, someone said to update Windows, I didn't want to because I knew it wouldn't be the cure, which it wasn't, but I found no issues with 1903 so let all my music PC's update to 1903 then shut the updates down again.

6 minutes ago, Greg said:

I literally had the same issue. Take a snapshot and run CC cleaner and let it clean the registry and everything.  It is named after you after all!

I did that...cleaned the registry....cleaned out all the junk files...etc...that was right before the 5th time trying
to update...no luck...I have no idea at this point what could be causing it.🤪

I went way further than that - cleaned the registry, unplugged everything (PCI cards, extra drives, everything USB except mouse & keyboard). I uninstalled pretty much all the drivers, including the hidden ones that weren't in use.  I also uninstalled any software that had drivers - e.g. NI, Waves, iLok, OneDrive etc... 

The upgrade still failed. I think it was the 10th attempt at it this weekend... I'm pretty sure its either a motherboard BIOS issue, or a motherboard driver issue.

If I can be bothered I might try a clean install, but I'd really rather not.

1 hour ago, abacab said:

Microsoft has a compatibility hold for PCs that they will not offer Win10 2004 to. Apparently there are some hardware configurations that they are  aware of issues with.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/windows-10-2004-list-of-compatibility-issues-blocking-updates/

That's what I thought.  2004 was only offered for my system running a 9900k.

I have a sorry history of major Windows 10 updates - I've never had one work seamlessly and have always had to do it via the Windows10Upgrade path.  With 1909 to 2004...

I originally had an old nVidia card that wasn't supported (it was also not getting good driver updates and was quite slow), so Windows Update "correctly" wasn't attempted when it was available.

I replaced the card with a supported nVidia card and - yay! - Windows Update says it can update to 2004.  It failed.

And now Windows Update reports the "...Once it's ready for your device, you'll see the update available on this page" message again.

Except it *is* available for my device (on paper), but there is seemingly no way of telling Windows Update that this is the case and to try again, so I'd be back to the Windows10Upgrade path, which is a pain to go through.

Not that there's anything I want in 2004, but I'd like to not be too far behind on major Windows versions.

6 hours ago, kitekrazy said:

Like what?

Like privacy settings, background activities, theming and appearance and quite a few registry tweaks. I'm new to Windows 10, guess, that's the reason why it took me more than a week. Of course, I had to re-install my purchased software and this alone took a full working day. Next time I might be able to do it all within a couple of days or half a week tops.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Soundwise said:

Like privacy settings, background activities, theming and appearance and quite a few registry tweaks.

I don't want to frustrate you, but for me the list of tweaks increases with each Windows update! For me Windows does not get better but worse! Since the start of W10 there was only 1 single tweak that I could cancel, because it had been fixed! 😄

Edited by marled
English correction
  • Thanks 1