When Cakewalk is running, listening to Music files is disabled?

Yellowpen

Question

Hey,

I´m quite new to Cakewalk (started yesterday :)) and I have the following problem. I use an Behringer U-Phoria UMC22 as audio interface and I use Cakewalk to manage and recording some bass lines and song ideas. I use my USB Headphones (plugged in the Computer) as Audio output and the Behringer Audio interface as Audio Input and it works like a charm without any delay.  Now sometimes I just want to listen to some Music (via Windows Media Player / Spotify) and play along with my bass guitar and maybe recording my own bassline, Music and bass guitar output via USB Headset. BUT when Cakewalk is running I cannot open and listen to any .mp3 file on my Computer and an error occurs. When I close Cakewalk everything works fine again immediately. 

I hope i could make my problem clear. Many thanks in advance.

8 answers to this question

57 minutes ago, Yellowpen said:

Hey,

I´m quite new to Cakewalk (started yesterday :)) and I have the following problem. I use an Behringer U-Phoria UMC22 as audio interface and I use Cakewalk to manage and recording some bass lines and song ideas. I use my USB Headphones (plugged in the Computer) as Audio output and the Behringer Audio interface as Audio Input and it works like a charm without any delay.  Now sometimes I just want to listen to some Music (via Windows Media Player / Spotify) and play along with my bass guitar and maybe recording my own bassline, Music and bass guitar output via USB Headset. BUT when Cakewalk is running I cannot open and listen to any .mp3 file on my Computer and an error occurs. When I close Cakewalk everything works fine again immediately. 

I hope i could make my problem clear. Many thanks in advance.

Preferences | Audio | Playback and Recording > select "Suspend Audio Engine When Cakewalk Is Not in Focus."

See:  (CTRL + F search for "sus")

http://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=Cakewalk&language=3&help=0x22B19

Hey,

thank you for your answer. I selected "Suspend Audio Engine When Cakewalk Is Not in Focus." Now at least its possible to listen to music without closing the Catwalk programm ^^. But i want to play and record instruments while listening to some .mp3 files at the same time. When Catwalk is not in Focus, theres no audio output from Catwalk (that means i cannot hear the instrument through my USB Headphones) and recording isn´t working.

Cakewalk wants to hog all resources for itself. Large projects can be pretty intense.

I don't have a input device, so I use WASAPI Shared as my Driver Mode with Suspend Audio ... off, and so I can do anything.

Having the mp3 in the project is pretty useful because you can get the tempo just right, line things up, use it as a reference when mixing. Start/Stop is in the same interface.

On 9/12/2020 at 12:26 PM, Yellowpen said:

I still dont get it why WMP and Spotify dont work while Cakewalk is running but nevermind 🤷‍♂️.   

Based on my personal experience on my Audio PC, it really depends on your system (devices, support software, and settings--including Window's Sound settings).  It can be done, though.

2020-09-15: Edited to remove references to (1) a different media player than the one mentioned, (2) a different online source of music, (3) references to a different audio device and support software, 

On 9/12/2020 at 5:40 AM, Yellowpen said:

. . . when Cakewalk is running I cannot open and listen to any .mp3 file on my Computer and an error occurs. When I close Cakewalk everything works fine again immediately. 

and (4) a suggestion for looking at one possible cause and possible solution for the problem mentioned.

Edited by User 905133
to remove what might have been perceived as off-topic, not helpful, and/or irrelevant to the original question