Feature request - ability to nudge automation control points with keyboard

John Bradley

What I'd like is the ability to select 1 or more control points and move them up or down by "a small value" (say 0.1db for volume automation, 1% for pan, etc.) via some key binding. Don't need the ability to move points left and right, though I wouldn't object if that came along for the ride.

As it stands, unless I vertically maximize the given track/lane - which is annoying to do, especially if working on multiple tracks simultaneously - it requires pixel level precision with the mouse, and even then the minimum step size is dependant on the height of the track (typically 0.4db on my screen).

It'd be nice to select the points, loop playback, and just hit some ctrl-num-8 or whatever to tweak the mix of that section without getting fiddly with the mouse.

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 2

I'm sorry if this is a hijack, but I'm asking these questions because I don't know, and you all seem better versed in automation: does the Shift key modifier work to slow the change down? I use it in Console View when I'm putting fine touches on panning and sends.

(of course, the longer a feature request stays at the top, the more likely the devs will take notice of it, and I like this one)

• Like 1

No prob, always good to learn "Yet Another Thing that CW already does and you just never bumped into it."

Anyway, nope. Shift constrains node dragging to 90 degree angles, which is very useful as well. Lets you move nodes up and down without accidentally moving them in time. Likewise, lets you move them left and right while keeping the value from changing.

• Like 2

I like this idea.

Objective- I find moving automation nodes to be some of the most difficult work.  Unless you are zoomed in full scale and have a track fully expanded it is nearly impossible to make pin point accurate on node placements. 

Non objective- If we find ourselves needing to place nodes in the perfect spot down to the precise element of a fraction of a millisecond, the problem is us really. Sometimes we need to just call it a day and throw a node in there. Its not going to make a lot of difference between a millisecond.

However, i like the idea. Good stuff.

• John Bradley changed the title to Feature request - ability to nudge automation control points with keyboard
On 9/12/2020 at 5:18 AM, John Bradley said:

always good to learn "Yet Another Thing that CW already does and you just never bumped into it."

And, wonderfully, there are so many of them.

Hmm, it seems like there should be a key modifier that will slow down node adjustment.

8 hours ago, chuckebaby said:

If we find ourselves needing to place nodes in the perfect spot down to the precise element of a fraction of a millisecond, the problem is us really.

I agree in theory when it's in the case of audio volume. Still, even if no human can perceive it, if John sets out to pan something at 75%, he shouldn't have to settle for 74% or 76% just because the UI is fiddly. Same with a change in level. If he wants to automate a 3 db drop from -2db, why should he have to settle for -5.1db? It throws in a bit of frustration, maybe you start thinking  "I need to improve my mouse hand" instead of keeping your attention on the mix.

Even then, I've automated highpass filter adjustments to tame plosives, and I have a friend who hates gating, so he automates volume drops between every snare hit to stop hi-hat bleed.

Or if you're automating a plug-in that you want to kick in and out or change a parameter at just the right moment. As in "throw" delays, where you might switch on the delay plug-in at the right moment, then kill it before the next sound on the track. You might even need to do that between syllables.

6 minutes ago, Starship Krupa said:

Still, even if no human can perceive it, if John sets out to pan something at 75%, he shouldn't have to settle for 74% or 76% just because the UI is fiddly. Same with a change in level. If he wants to automate a 3 db drop from -2db, why should he have to settle for -5.1db? It throws in a bit of frustration, maybe you start thinking  "I need to improve my mouse hand" instead of keeping your attention on the mix.

And in my particular use case, where the track/automation lane is the size I like it to be when working on it, the volume change per pixel is 0.4db, so I can boost or cut a particular phrase or whatever by 0.4db, 0.8db, 1.2db, etc. And those are audible differences. And doing so requires sticking my face up to the screen and carefully only moving the node by 1 or 2 pixels, which is both less precise than I might like and requires an overly fiddly bit of mouse precision. Brain cycles better spent on listening.

Haven't personally needed very precise horizontal placement/adjustment but can certainly see the use for same if I was carefully trimming tails, as per your example.

And a "precision node drag" modifier key would be a welcome addition as well. Could live without keyboard adjustment if I could get full precision dragging within the existing track height and horizontal zoom level.

• Like 1