envelope - un-wanted mystery nodes

micv

when I open an envelop, sometimes I see that there are bunch of nodes all over the place.  They are not what I put in, I suspect that they are from other envelopes that somehow got drawn.  Not sure if anyone has seen this or understand what I'm trying to describe, but if you do, is there a way to default the nodes to be drawn only on the envelope that you are placing your pointer to and no where else?

I'm not sure if this applies to your case, but during the years I have more than once accidentally moved the tracks volume slider before I've switched from "Write" mode to "Read" mode of the track, thus causing a node chaos. This usually happened when the volume envelope was not visible.

When I do volume automation I most often do it with the  slider of my MIDI controller  in real time with the track playing back, not with my mouse. That produces lots of nodes.

• 1 month later...

I think I've found the culprit :

I use the project timeline to select a region and then on a clip or a track's envelope do a insert nodes at select region, I would expect that the nodes would only get drawn on only the envelope that I placed my cursor on but no, nodes would be drawn on all active envelopes!!!  So if I creates some nodes on a clip, on a track's volume envelope nodes are added there too.  So after awhile those unintended envelopes look like a mess.

Unless there is an 'exclusive mode' (only place nodes on the envelop that you place the cursor on) this would be a big bug to me.

'exclusive mode' - 

When adding node  - All "selected tracks" will have nodes added.  If you select from the timeline this will happen.  Sometime I select from the timeline between markers, then I click the track to de-select all other tracks to add nodes only on that track.

• Like 1

On 10/13/2020 at 2:29 PM, micv said:

use the project timeline to select a region and then on a clip or a track's envelope do a insert nodes at select region

Maybe I'm stating the obvious here, but to select a region on a clip or an envelope you just click and drag on the clip or envelope, selecting on the timeline selects all tracks.  I don't think this is a bug.  It is very easy to make a selection and add nodes,  simply click and drag on the envelope to make the selection and then move the cursor to the top of the clip until the icon changes to the envelope edit tool and then click and drag your mouse up or down.  Nodes will be created automatically.

3 hours ago, Max Arwood said:

Sometime I select from the timeline between markers, then I click the track to de-select all other tracks to add nodes only on that track.

This is a good tip that I also do sometimes,  but TBH it's so easy to select a region and drag with nodes automatically created that I almost always do that.  🙂

@micv - there's two ways to edit only a specific  envelope:

1. Use the Track filter to select the envelope you want to edit:

image.png.54cde3e4d418cddbf4569c1ecb45984f.png

2. Use the automation lanes:

image.png.d0b170bf950164408cd721ad3c325197.png

Also another thing to bear in mind:

Deleting an automation lane does not delete the envelope - it only removes the lane.  You can get the "hidden" lanes back by SHIFT + clicking on the show/hide automation button...

envelopes.gif

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/17/2020 at 5:39 PM, tonemangler said:

Maybe I'm stating the obvious here, but to select a region on a clip or an envelope you just click and drag on the clip or envelope, selecting on the timeline selects all tracks.  I don't think this is a bug.  It is very easy to make a selection and add nodes,  simply click and drag on the envelope to make the selection and then move the cursor to the top of the clip until the icon changes to the envelope edit tool and then click and drag your mouse up or down.  Nodes will be created automatically.

This is a good tip that I also do sometimes,  but TBH it's so easy to select a region and drag with nodes automatically created that I almost always do that.  🙂

Thank for the tips, both does the trick, it's only obvious when you know it 😃

Still un-resolved.   I spent sometime with CW yesterday and remember now why I use the project timeline, because you cannot do 'add notes at selection' or create nodes automatically by moving up/down the region in Take Lane.  This method only works in Track's envelop but not for envelope in Take Lane.

56 minutes ago, micv said:

Still un-resolved.   I spent sometime with CW yesterday and remember now why I use the project timeline, because you cannot do 'add notes at selection' or create nodes automatically by moving up/down the region in Take Lane.  This method only works in Track's envelop but not for envelope in Take Lane.

I believe you are right when it comes to Take Lanes.  For me, before doing any comping you can automatically add nodes (clip gain or pan) in Take Lanes just the same as in Tracks.  However after starting the comping process the automatic node insertion no longer works on Take Lanes,  usually I have to add the nodes manually.  I guess the reasoning is that normally you would comp a track, then bounce to clips and then edit the gain/pan envelope.  I think this is a Cakewalk quirk...or maybe bug?

I believe that this is an bug.  Once it works initially it should work the same throughout.  I usually play around with a clip gain and timing first before settling on the one to use.  Sometimes a little gain adjustment is what it takes to see how all the clips would sound together before you commit. 

• 2 weeks later...

So I try to change my habit by using the track envelop instead.  It draws the nodes on every single Take Lane!!! 

I can't see the logic in this.  The takes will never ever lined-up perfectly to use the same nodes location intended for one take.

CW bakers, please take a look and perhaps address the issue as I believe that improvement is needed here.  thx