Switch Output When Recording

David Murray

Is there any way to instruct Cakewalk to use a different output when recording vs. playback?

I want direct the output signal to headphones everytime "record" is selected and I'd like for it to automaticlly switch to my monitors during playback.

I have just purchased a new Focusrite Solo (gen 3), but haven't installed it yet. I'm not even sure if it's possible to address the headphone output separately from the 1/4-inch output, but I could always use the computer's output for the monitors if they can't be addressed separately.

Edited by David Murray

Focusrite doesnt expose the headphone out as an ASIO output. You have to route it through their mixer.

Re playback vs recording there is no way to change outputs other than manually. Most people use sends to output to a headphone mix bus. So all thats needed is a single click to enable the send, or to mute/unmute the bus.

The Solo has very limited routing and does not come with Mix control software. ( at least it didn't in the past)  The 6i6 I think is the first in line to use mix control. That would also give you a one click option to change the output like Neol has mentioned. I don't think any DAW has a option to mute your monitors when you hit record. That's why you need a sound engineer in the studio, that's their job-- and I'm afraid now that's your job!! 

Thanks for the replies. Now that I've installed the Focusrite, I can't seem to access any other output separately anyway.

I'm back to hitting the mute button on my mixer (except I don't have a mute button, so I'm pulling the fader down). It would be a handy feature on an interface with more than two channels of output.