Black Death vs. Microsoft

marcL

In the Middle Ages people were tormented by Black Death. Today we are tormented by Microsoft!

I think in no other company there work as many id###s in the software development! The last month I had dozens of problems with the awesome W10.

The newest st###dness are their language and regional settings. It is a whole mess, they link everything that has nothing to do with each other. I envy the Americans for their simple language situation, everything English! Yesterday I simply changed my date/time display settings and see what happened? Suddenly all umlaut characters in non-unicode programs were displayed as garbage! So it seems for Microsoft engineers umlauts are date/time characters 😆!

The sad thing is that all the time it takes to solve those issues is lost for music creation! 😢

4 hours ago, marled said:

In the Middle Ages people were tormented by Black Death. Today we are tormented by Microsoft!

I think in no other company there work as many id###s in the software development! The last month I had dozens of problems with the awesome W10.

The newest st###dness are their language and regional settings. It is a whole mess, they link everything that has nothing to do with each other. I envy the Americans for their simple language situation, everything English! Yesterday I simply changed my date/time display settings and see what happened? Suddenly all umlaut characters in non-unicode programs were displayed as garbage! So it seems for Microsoft engineers umlauts are date/time characters 😆!

The sad thing is that all the time it takes to solve those issues is lost for music creation! 😢

I'm sorry to hear of your angst with Win 10.

When it works it seems to work well. Maybe there is something to be said for preventing  automatic updates. This has been most of my problems so far. Using DAWs with different sound settings and  updates. I'm still using the OEM Home version of Win 10.  Lately I've been getting the occasional " Bad Pool Spooler" blue screen. Then it just says we will reboot your computer now and tell Microsoft you're royally screwed.

It always asks me what I want.

-Would you like to  shut down  update computer and shut down? 

-Would you like to update computer and reboot?

- Would you like a hot poker in your shorts ?

...ok I made that last one up.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, marled said:

Suddenly all umlaut characters in non-unicode programs were displayed as garbage!

Isn't that more to do with the people who wrote the non-unicode programs, rather than Windows itself?

6 hours ago, marled said:

I'm guessing Mac users find themselves in a similar situation when they upgrade to the latest version of Mac OS, and then realise their existing software isn't compatible.

Edited by antler
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, S.L.I.P. said:

Sorry, I'm late... But, I'm here now...

me too.

I"m plain stupid for almost 50 years and zero chance of improvement.

On one day I had a short small moment my brains showed signs of normal functioning..

I ran to my my music computer, ripped out the internet cable and disabled Windows Update, removed anti virus software.

For quite some years now I enjoy Sonar on my computer that isn't connected to the internet, with no probs/errors etc.

Edited by Sheens
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, antler said:

Isn't that more to do with the people who wrote the non-unicode programs, rather than Windows itself?

No, absolutely not! I worked myself a lot with codesets/codepages... as a professional, but I saw in the 21st century that many big software companies (like MS) make a real mess with it! It seems they do not understand the concept, that's why they finally jump to unicode and that's better like that! 😄

12 hours ago, antler said:

I'm guessing Mac users find themselves in a similar situation when they upgrade to the latest version of Mac OS, and then realise their existing software isn't compatible.

Yes, Mac is definitely not an alternative! It's made by a similar dinosaur! This is the pain with those W10 issues, there is actually no real alternative!

16 hours ago, RobertWS said:

Are the words idiots and stupidness banned?

Lately I wrote a harmless contribution and there was 1 word banned. For me with non-English mother tongue it is difficult to guess which words could be banned! 😉 This is why I made the precautionary measure to prevent that my "sentimental" message cannot be read! 😆 

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Starise said:

When it works it seems to work well. Maybe there is something to be said for preventing  automatic updates.

That's the issue I have with the laptop that I maintain for our church. After an update it may take a week (or longer) to get it running stable. If I could keep it like that we would be fine. I push back updates as far as I can (I think it is like 45 days you can delay). But after that time period it will update, like it or not, and I usually have to spend another week putting settings back and getting it to run stable again.