Lowest price on an iLok

kitekrazy

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/iLok3--pace-ilok-3rd-generation

I decided to get another one and not use the drives anymore.  The issue was not a drive failure but a system upgrade made all of my activations useless.  The worst part is contacting the software developers to reset the activations.   The quickest responder was Sound Toys and the slowest was AIR/Sonivox. A lesson learned, go with the stick.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Great Idea 1

27 minutes ago, Paul Young said:

I decided to get another one and not use the drives anymore.  The issue was not a drive failure but a system upgrade made all of my activations useless.  The worst part is contacting the software developers to reset the activations.   The quickest responder was Sound Toys and the slowest was AIR/Sonivox. A lesson learned, go with the stick.

Or remember to deactivate your licences from the old PC before upgrading to the new.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Promidi said:

Or remember to deactivate your licences from the old PC before upgrading to the new.

That's exactly why I began to love iLok!

Having problems with my Windows 10 PCs (new install) the iLok was the easiest to handle authorization (of course free plugins also! 😆) and the handling of the plugins that I autorized with the iLok LIcense Manager locally was easy, too! Most of the other stuff was quite complicated (except those that provided an autorisation file), because each plugin provider did it differently and still there are some plugins I could not authorize till today (since 20-aug).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sander Verstraten said:

Stupid question: what is considered a new PC by Pace, when upgrading your current machine?
- Windows install
- adding a Hard Drive
- adding RAM
- switch GPU

You are good with adding new hardware.

Also I think (at least so far) with windows installation as I can use freely iLOKed soft on 2 different Windows version installed on the same machine (multi profile env on PC)

• Like 1

Licences may be tied to the PCs network adaptors. My authorisations went AWOL when I disabled the ethernet port when troubleshooting some network issues. Other have had the same issue.  Since this happened I have been thinking about getting an iLok but have not jumped yet.

EDIT - My mind must have been befuddled when I posted this earlier. The licenses that went missing were WAVES licenses, not iLok.  I am intending to move them to a USB stick and I am seriously considering moving my iLok licenses to a iLok all prompted by this incident.

Edited by Vernon Barnes

8 hours ago, Sander Verstraten said:

Stupid question: what is considered a new PC by Pace, when upgrading your current machine?
- Windows install
- adding a Hard Drive
- adding RAM
- switch GPU

It varies from software.   NI seems to be less bothered by it.  IK use to be touchy but no issues this time.  I use to dislike Waves Central but it has a fix for such things. I upgraded everything but kept the Windows drive as is since the difference would be changing out the chipset since they both were Intel.   In this case Pace without the dongle was the major annoyance.  BTW their support is top notch.   I use to despise the dongle but not anymore.

The iLok 3 is even more smaller than iLok2.

9 hours ago, Sander Verstraten said:

- Windows install
- adding a Hard Drive
- adding RAM
- switch GPU

Not a stupid question.

Honestly I wouldn't make any hardware change without de-authorization first.  I could outline a couple scenarios I used where ilok didn't like it, but don't have  the time to detail it out and I don't want to mislead if it doesn't apply in all similar situations.  

• Like 1

On 9/10/2020 at 5:28 PM, Promidi said:

Agreed.

Except I wasn't planning to kill my laptop. But it died on the operating table unexpectedly during an attempted drive swap. Leaving my iLok license activations hanging on a dead device. Lesson learned!

On 9/10/2020 at 5:00 PM, Paul Young said:

My recent experience was that AIR/AKAI/SONiVOX were even faster than Eventide in restoring my iLok activations on a dead laptop. Emailed the publishers on a Saturday morning, all fixed by Monday evening.

To be fair to Eventide, they were only 5 hours slower... still acceptable. ☺️

29 minutes ago, abacab said:

My recent experience was that AIR/AKAI/SONiVOX were even faster than Eventide in restoring my iLok activations on a dead laptop. Emailed the publishers on a Saturday morning, all fixed by Monday evening.

To be fair to Eventide, they were only 5 hours slower... still acceptable. ☺️

Soundtoys was the quickest.  Give UVI some credit for allowing 3 authorizations.