Jump to content
Konskoo

Overclocked RAM or not for Cakewalk?

Recommended Posts

I want to build a computer for Cakewalk.

Windows 10 Home, 64-bit.

I thought of two variants.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Variant 1. To use overclocked RAM. For example Crucial Ballistix AES 3000-3200 MHz, Crucial Ballistix U4 3000 MHz.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Variant 2. To use not overclocked RAM. For example Crucial CT 3200 MHz, Kingston KVR 3200 MHz.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What is better for Cakewalk's performance, stability, data safety?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Jim Roseberry said:

If you're looking for rock-solid stability, NEVER over-clock RAM.

Thank you, Jim. I took into consideration.

53 minutes ago, Jim Roseberry said:

There's very little performance difference between DDR4/2400 vs. DDR4/3200.

Thank you, Jim. I took into attention.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not overclocking anything should make for a more stable environment, which is desirable for a DAW.

Anyway, RAM is not a bottleneck in modern computer performance, unless you don't have enough of it. It is the CPU clock speed and core count that matter most.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, abacab said:

Not overclocking anything should make for a more stable environment, which is desirable for a DAW.

Thank you, abacab. I took into consideration.

10 minutes ago, abacab said:

Anyway, RAM is not a bottleneck in modern computer performance, unless you don't have enough of it. It is the CPU clock speed and core count that matter most.

Thank you, abacab. I took into attention.

abacab, what CPU clock speed suitable for Cakewalk? What core count suitable for Cakewalk?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Konskoo said:

 what CPU clock speed suitable for Cakewalk? What core count suitable for Cakewalk?

Suitable is relative... What suitable for me may / may not suitable for you. Any nowdays PC running x64 Windows should be fine in general.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Konskoo said:

abacab, what CPU clock speed suitable for Cakewalk? What core count suitable for Cakewalk?

That's a loaded question, and is all about what you plan to do with the DAW, as well as how big  your budget is, LOL! Talk to @Jim Roseberryabout that. He builds custom DAWs for musicians that are well regarded.

And don't forget an SSD drive, or two... 😁

 

Edited by abacab
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, James Argo said:

Suitable is relative... What suitable for me may / may not suitable for you. Any nowdays PC running x64 Windows should be fine in general.

 

1 hour ago, abacab said:

what you plan to do with the DAW, as well as how big  your budget is, LOL! Talk to @Jim Roseberryabout that. He builds custom DAWs for musicians that are well regarded.

 

James, abacab thank you. I took into attention.

abacab, I took into consideration that Jim Roseberry builds custom DAWs for musicians that are well regarded. Thank you for information.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

abacab, James what I plan to do with the DAW?

I want to make mastering of piano music. These will be piano pieces. Each will last from two to three minutes. I will combine these pieces into the album. The album will have from eight to ten pieces. The finished recording will have only a piano - one instrument. After mastering I will upload the finished recordings to different music sites - this will be the only way to distribute these recordings. There will no be physical media - CD, DVD - in distribution.

Next I will make new piano pieces.

I will make budget from tasks solving. First - what I need to solve the task? Next - how much money I need for it.

In this case what CPU clock speed suitable for Cakewalk? What core count suitable for Cakewalk?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Will you be using an acoustic piano and recording via microphones, a digital piano with direct in, or will you be using a Virtual Instrument piano in the box?

VI's take more CPU than audio tracks. Since you probably won't be using many simultaneous tracks of audio for your piano recording (just L and R for stereo), your needs should be modest. You would probably be fine with any quad core with the fastest clock that you can afford.

But if you plan to use heavy mastering plugins, then the same rules would apply as with VI's. It all depends on exactly what you plan to use. Virtual Instruments and FX plugins can be very taxing on the CPU, but again, that depends exactly on which ones that you plan to use.

And save some money for a professional audio interface. Good pre-amps will be very important to high quality acoustic recordings.

 

Edited by abacab
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/10/2020 at 11:31 PM, abacab said:

Will you be using an acoustic piano and recording via microphones, a digital piano with direct in, or will you be using a Virtual Instrument piano in the box?

VI's take more CPU than audio tracks. Since you probably won't be using many simultaneous tracks of audio for your piano recording (just L and R for stereo), your needs should be modest. You would probably be fine with any quad core with the fastest clock that you can afford.

But if you plan to use heavy mastering plugins, then the same rules would apply as with VI's. It all depends on exactly what you plan to use. Virtual Instruments and FX plugins can be very taxing on the CPU, but again, that depends exactly on which ones that you plan to use.

And save some money for a professional audio interface. Good pre-amps will be very important to high quality acoustic recordings.

Thank you, abacab. I took into attention.

abacab, I can describe how I want to do. Do I need to create new topic to describe it? Because this topic is about RAM. How do you think?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Konskoo said:

abacab, I can describe how I want to do. Do I need to create new topic to describe it? Because this topic is about RAM. How do you think?

A single thread about your entire new computer build would be fine. You could just change the title of this thread, for example, "I want to build a computer for Cakewalk."

That way you would capture all of the information in a single context. This would also help someone seeking the same answers in the future who happens to search and find your thread.

Besides the Q and A, this forum is also  knowledge base that others will reference, and it is indexed by Google.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The faster the clock the better. The more cores the better.  Overclocking is not a good idea. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...