thatoneXman

this program is NOT User Friendly.

On 4/14/2021 at 5:30 PM, InstrEd said:

I do think that every Junior High school student should now have to pass a basic course in coding in say Python.  Just so they have an idea of what goes into programming an application. It would be good for them.  

They should then get them to reimplement what they've done in C++, then they'd have a better idea of what goes into programming a DAW 😉

9 minutes ago, msmcleod said:

They should then get them to reimplement what they've done in C++, then they'd have a better idea of what goes into programming a DAW 😉

Now you're asking too much. Plus you don't want to lose your job to a young whipper snapper do you Mark?  :D

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Kevin Perry said:

Forth is useful if you want to write CAL 🙂

I think you mean Lisp, which CAL is loosely based on.... although some time using Forth is useful for making you feel relieved when you go back to writing CAL.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, msmcleod said:

Every time I go back doing something in C++ (last week, it'd been a year since last time) I'm stumped on how the language makes even the simplest thing so incredibly complex and error-prone. What seemed so good in 1992 definitely no longer does! Bit like tape :D Still fast as hell though, so occasionally worth it.

1 hour ago, Kevin Perry said:

Doesn't CAL use RPN which Forth also used?

Yes is does, but then so did old HP calculators.  The syntax of Forth is very different to Lisp . In Lisp the expressions use RPN, but Forth is completely stack based so everything is RPN including all the statements. 

I used Forth for a bit in the early to mid 80's. It was near impossible to do anything of any size, and every change affected the whole program as it would change the push/pop balance. You could write modules, but everything had to be done bottom -up. With the exception of a few neat graphics routines, Forth made assembly language programming look like bliss.

5 hours ago, msmcleod said:

With the exception of a few neat graphics routines, Forth made assembly language programming look like bliss.

This brings back long-forgotten memories.  I had both the HESWare Forth cartridge and the C-64 Macro Assembler and you are 100% right! For me MIDI data processing in C-64 asm was straight forward and very doable; trying to do anything  in Forth required greater skills than I wanted to develop at the time.

5 hours ago, Kevin Perry said:

I dabbled with Forth about then too - I don't think I ever achieved anything of note in it!

Yup!!

Posted (edited)
On 4/10/2021 at 6:29 PM, msmcleod said:

Dear Sir msmcleod,

Now I learn new things in the new Cakewalk from you.
I will watch the video link from you.

To be honest, this new Cakewalk is addictive for me.
It made me sleep so late many times because I try this try that, what is this & that button and what it will do, what is VST - how to use it, etc etc etc... there are soooo much things I'm eager to know. 

After a week, at least some of the "old" things which I'm used to do in the old Cakewalk - now I know on how to do those in the new Cakewalk. Still many things to learn.

Thank you very much for your patient, explanation, pictures and times to help me.

Edited by reko tomo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/12/2021 at 8:22 AM, John Vere said:

But the---  I was told to not waste my money on Movie studio and try the Free Resolve video editor. I spent a good 3 hours before finally giving up. I couldn't get anywhere and I watched tutorials which were not ever about what I wanted to do.. and tried the help files. I could not  add new tracks , add texts edit anything.

🙂 .... I'm sorry, I'm out of topic, just want to share that what you experience is similar to me.
I'm used to use Adobe Premiere, then I read in the internet everybody say Resolve is much better and free.
So I downloaded it, after spend hours and hours, I give up. Resolve's UI made me headache 😜😁.

• Like 1