Strange crackling when using scroll on mouse only in bus view Bus

Greg Wynn

Here's a strange one.  Bought and installed a new video card (GTX 1650) for a recent new studio build (Asus Hero, i9 9900,  32 Gig,etc) and noticed a strange anomaly.  When I'm in track view (without busses being visible) and scroll my mouse while audio is being played all works as expected.  However if I am in track view with busses visible (via the show/hide bus pane button) and am passing audio through my busses I hear a LOT of crackling when I scroll my mouse.  How strange is that ?  

It makes mixing a real pain as you can imagine.  It is reproducible on old projects as well as new projects (using my template) and it never happened before I installed the video card - which is working great.  Any ideas ?  Can one of my plugins one one of my busses be causing such an issue ?

Running 2020.08 (Build 120 64-bit)

EDIT - When I reproduce the crackling the "late buffers" number soars up in the performance area if you hover the mouse.  The mystery deepens...

Edited by Greg Wynn

I used to get like a 'zipper' sound when using the mouse to scroll around in a project. If that's the sound you're hearing then yes, I know what you're talking about. It was with my old PC and sometime ago now, and like you, I tried to get to the bottom of it.  From memory, I think it was driver related, however I cant remember exactly. Sorry I cant be more specific, but I have seen (heard) this and it wasn't plugin related in my case. I'd be making sure all your drivers are up to date, including your mouse, as a starting point.     

Thx for responding.  

The most bizarre part is that it only makes the noise (when audio is being processed)when busses are visible and I scroll the mouse ON the area where the busses are.

Even without audio being processed I still rack up the “late buffer” count when hovering over the performance area on the control bar AFTER scrolling on the bus area.

My brain hurts.