Must I use lenses?

Pathfinder

EDIT: I know how, well, ridiculous this sounds. It does ONLY happen when I attempt to drag a track to adjust it's height. Just sayin, this is the "trigger" so to speak.

OK, title sounds weird, I know. Here is the issue. I have none checked in lenses and I want it to stay there. The checkbox stays there but Workspace fills the dialog box in Lens. I know it's a workspace, but it also changes what I am doing\seeing\etc. WHY?
Dragging a track down top make it taller(yes I use the mouse) it just jumps to a unmanageable size(tall), like /2 the screen. Seems to take over the visual aspects of CW-like it has a min of it's own.

EDIT: It seems to be triggered by some action I do but I am doing the same things the same way I have for many decades with cakewalk! I cannot pin point it but it sure is annoying.

I wish I could delete (disable) the lense option but checking none does not seem to work. Immediately jumps to workspace, synth rack disappears, etc, etc?

Hopefully someone will understand what I mean. When I drag a track down a bit I want it to stay where I put it. It doesn't. That is only 1 example of many "weird things. It also immediately hides my synth rack view which I LIKE open. frustrating.

Thanks

Edited by Pathfinder

If you click on the dropdown arrow next to where it says 'Workspaces', is 'None' ticked? If so it's working properly. The word 'Workspaces' in that box is just a heading.  As long as 'None' is ticked under that, it shouldn't be doing anything.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Pathfinder said:

OK, title sounds weird, I know. Here is the issue. I have none checked in lenses and I want it to stay there. The checkbox stays there but Workspace fills the dialog box in Lens. I know it's a workspace, but it also changes what I am doing\seeing\etc. WHY?

I am a fan of Workspaces [formerly Lenses] because the way I choose to use it, I find it helps me take advantage of Cakewalk's extreme flexibility.  That being said, it took me a lot of trial-and-error (developing different temporary custom Workspaces) to begin to understand and make use of Workspaces efficiently.  

I am confused by your use of "lenses" here.  Do you mean "Workspaces?" Are you using an older version of Cakewalk/SONAR?

Over the past several updates, there have been a number of changes to Workspaces. So, in order to understand what might be going on, what version/build of Cakewalk are you using?

20 hours ago, Pathfinder said:

I wish I could delete (disable) by some action . . . .

In a previous update, a new option was added that might help with you experiences in combination with "None" as has been suggested above. [It might be worth looking to make sure that option is off.]

From the 2020.08 Feature Overview:

Workspace enhancements

‘Apply Workspace on Project Load’ option

When using a workspace, you can now specify if the active workspace should be automatically applied when loading projects. This is specified with the Apply Workspace on Project Load option in the Workspaces menu. The Apply Workspace on Project Load option is disabled by default.

Edited by User 905133
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Millzy said:

If you click on the dropdown arrow next to where it says 'Workspaces', is 'None' ticked? If so it's working properly. The word 'Workspaces' in that box is just a heading.  As long as 'None' is ticked under that, it shouldn't be doing anything.

Yes it is ticked. I had a "similar" issue a few months ago and it had to do with a Lense (it was called lense when I created it) that was generic except for having the synth rack enabled and showing always. 

It is still in the list, so maybe that is the issue or part of it. Perhaps I it loaded the project with my old lense. Can I delete it from the list?

The issue last time was similar-could NOT control dragging track height up or down with the mouse and synth rack disappears? 

mind boggling really. For me anyway.

So, theoretically, if I open a new project and select View synthrack and then select "apply workspace on project load" for each project I open or start that should work, correct? Also, none stays checked when I do this.

Doesn't work so I guess I need to read about workspaces. Maybe create a NEW workspace and call it synthrack view?

So I did delete (manage workspaces) my old lense....

Edited by Pathfinder

I find it a very useful feature and it really help when you transfer songs from another computer. In the past I would have to spent a few minutes just to get a project set up for my main DAW which has 2 monitors if it was coming from my laptop which only has a small screen. That and MIx recall save my huge amounts of time just repeating the same stuff. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Pathfinder said:

Yes it is ticked. I had a "similar" issue a few months ago and it had to do with a Lense (it was called lense when I created it) that was generic except for having the synth rack enabled and showing always. 

It is still in the list, so maybe that is the issue or part of it. Perhaps I it loaded the project with my old lense. Can I delete it from the list?

The issue last time was similar-could NOT control dragging track height up or down with the mouse and synth rack disappears? 

mind boggling really. For me anyway.

If I understand you correctly, you have the current or a recent version of Cakewalk and previously created something named "Lense" which shows up as a choice along with current Workspaces.  While you could delete it, you can just ignore it for now in case you want to tweak it later.

I seem to recall that with changes to the Workspaces apparatus in recent months, I went through a number of my personal Workspaces (a) to see if they still worked to my satisfaction and (b) to make tweaks to conform to the new and improved Workspaces apparatus.

Without going into the details, maybe you could choose one of the factory Workspaces (e.g., "Advanced", or "None" as suggested) and then test some of the issues--such as the ones you mention here--track height and synth rack disappearance.

If that works, you could just tweak it and turn it into a new "Lense" by re-saving it as "Lense."

I hope this helps.

BTW, I agree--creating custom workflows/UIs with Workspaces is mind-boggling.  I have some that work well for my needs. As I said, I came to them with lots of trial-and-error.  If I were to try to create a new one for a new/different personal workflow, I am sure I would be back close to the start, though I do have some mental scars that say, "Don't try it that way; it'll turn into a dead end."   

Edited by User 905133
(2) fixed a couple of typos; (1) minor word corrections
  • Thanks 1