Jump to content
Morten Saether

2020.09 Feedback

Recommended Posts

First of all, thank you so much for the bugfix release, bakers! I also really appreciate the fact that you've heard my complains about the staff view and global snap.

Quote

Option to decouple global Snap to Grid from the Staff view with UseGlobalSnapForStaffView=0 Cakewalk.ini setting.

I have tried to add this line in a number of places, restarting CbB after every change, but I still couldn't make it behave the desired way - staff snap keeps using the global snap resolution. I was probably doing something wrong, so any clarification on that would be helpful.

What I did try:

  1. Add UseGlobalSnapForStaffView=0 to Cakewalk.ini, at the end of the file.
  2. Add UseGlobalSnapForStaffView=0 to Cakewalk.ini, to the [Staff View] section of the file.
  3. Add UseGlobalSnapForStaffView=0 to Aud.ini, to the [Aud] section of the file.
  4. Add UseGlobalSnapForStaffView=0 to Aud.ini, to the [Wave] section of the file.
  5. All of the above but with UseGlobalSnapForStaffView=1

My steps for each attempt:

  1. Open the ini file in a text editor.
  2. Add the line to the file and save it.
  3. Close CbB.
  4. Launch CbB.
  5. Start a new project.
  6. Add a MIDI track.
  7. Open Staff View.
  8. Make sure Global Snap is switched on (and defaults to 1/8 in my case).
  9. Try to add notes with a hope of 1/32 resolution in the Staff view.

Any suggestions?

Edited by Helene Kolpakova

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Helene Kolpakova said:

Any suggestions?

First I would do it with CbB closed. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Helene Kolpakova said:

First of all, thank you so much for the bugfix release, bakers! I also really appreciate the fact that you've heard my complains about the staff view and global snap.

I have tried to add this line in a number of places, restarting CbB after every change, but I still couldn't make it behave the desired way - staff snap keeps using the global snap resolution. I was probably doing something wrong, so any clarification on that would be helpful.

What I did try:

  1. Add UseGlobalSnapForStaffView=0 to Cakewalk.ini, at the end of the file.
  2. Add UseGlobalSnapForStaffView=0 to Cakewalk.ini, to the [Staff View] section of the file.
  3. Add UseGlobalSnapForStaffView=0 to Aud.ini, to the [Aud] section of the file.
  4. Add UseGlobalSnapForStaffView=0 to Aud.ini, to the [Wave] section of the file.
  5. All of the above but with UseGlobalSnapForStaffView=1

My steps for each attempt:

  1. Open the ini file in a text editor.
  2. Add the line to the file and save it.
  3. Close CbB.
  4. Launch CbB.
  5. Start a new project.
  6. Add a MIDI track.
  7. Open Staff View.
  8. Make sure Global Snap is switched on (and defaults to 1/8 in my case).
  9. Try to add notes with a hope of 1/32 resolution in the Staff view.

Any suggestions?

I too am having strange results.

 

I tried it in aud.ini as well as cakewalk.ini

 

In cakewalk.ini I tried it in wincake and piano view sections. No change in operation.

I did my edits with CbB closed each time

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Wookiee said:

First I would do it with CbB closed. 

Why?

There is a preference page dedicated to modifying Cakewalk.ini

http://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=Cakewalk&language=3&help=0x200FE

It may be necessary to restart CbB but this is the preferred place to perform Cakewalk.ini edits.

 

The Aud.ini editor in preferences is even more flexible allow the file to be edited, reloaded or restored to default (restore even makes a backup before resetting to defaults).

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, scook said:

Why?

There is a preference page dedicated to modifying Cakewalk.ini

http://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=Cakewalk&language=3&help=0x200FE

It may be necessary to restart CbB but this is the preferred place to perform Cakewalk.ini edits.

 

The Aud.ini editor in preferences is even more flexible allow the file to be edited, reloaded or restored to default (restore even makes a backup before resetting to defaults).

 

Thanks.... Tried that first but I'm seeing the same results.

Maybe I'm expecting something different? What should I see. I already have a different snap value for global and prv. I was expecting a difference to enable/disable?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, I managed to make it work, but there's a bug.

First of all, the file editable via Preferences is Aud.ini, not Cakewalk.ini. And yes, you don't need to close CbB, not even to restart it to apply the changes using the Reload Config Settings buttons. I tried restarting CbB merely to be absolutely sure it's using the new config.

Now, the file that actually needs changing to enable the feature is, again, Aud.ini, not Cakewalk.ini. So, the order of the right steps is

  1. Go to Preferences -> Audio -> Configuration File
  2. Click Edit Config File
  3. In the opened text editor, add UseGlobalSnapForStaffView=0 as the first line of the Aud section of the file.
  4. Save the changes made to the file.
  5. Either restart CbB or click Reload Config Settings and Ok to close the preferences.
  6. Make sure global snap is enabled, say to 1/8th
  7. Add a MIDI track and open its Staff view

The bug is, the notes added to the editor now would still be dropped with the global snap settings, i.e. 1/8th instead of 1/32nd. HOWEVER, if you edit one of the existing notes, the 1/32nd mode will get enabled, so that all notes edited or placed after the first edit will get the 1/32nd resolution regardless the global snap settings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Keni said:

Maybe I'm expecting something different? What should I see. I already have a different snap value for global and prv. I was expecting a difference to enable/disable?

 

The feature is about the Staff view, not PRV. It is to ignore the global snap settings in the Staff view. For PRV there's its own Snap Settings in the top right corner of the PRV. And it has nothing to do with the value of UseGlobalSnapForStaffView.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Helene Kolpakova said:

First of all, the file editable via Preferences is Aud.ini, not Cakewalk.ini.

Both may be edited in preferences. Review the links in my post.

The image from the first link includes the title Configure settings in Cakewalk.ini above the parameter list.

Dialogs2.065.1.png

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Helene Kolpakova said:

So, I managed to make it work, but there's a bug.

First of all, the file editable via Preferences is Aud.ini, not Cakewalk.ini. And yes, you don't need to close CbB, not even to restart it to apply the changes using the Reload Config Settings buttons. I tried restarting CbB merely to be absolutely sure it's using the new config.

Now, the file that actually needs changing to enable the feature is, again, Aud.ini, not Cakewalk.ini. So, the order of the right steps is

  1. Go to Preferences -> Audio -> Configuration File
  2. Click Edit Config File
  3. In the opened text editor, add UseGlobalSnapForStaffView=0 as the first line of the Aud section of the file.
  4. Save the changes made to the file.
  5. Either restart CbB or click Reload Config Settings and Ok to close the preferences.
  6. Make sure global snap is enabled, say to 1/8th
  7. Add a MIDI track and open its Staff view

The bug is, the notes added to the editor now would still be dropped with the global snap settings, i.e. 1/8th instead of 1/32nd. HOWEVER, if you edit one of the existing notes, the 1/32nd mode will get enabled, so that all notes edited or placed after the first edit will get the 1/32nd resolution regardless the global snap settings.

The setting is definitely read from Cakewalk.ini not Aud.ini.

To change it go to Preferences->File->Initialization File

All  UseGlobalSnapForStaffView=0 does is completely bypass the previous changes to the Staff View snap with regard to the global snap.  With this setting set to 0, the Staff View does not look at global snap at all.... in other words the staff view goes back to how it was in 2020.05.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, scook said:

Both may be edited in preferences. Review the links in my post.

The image from the first link includes the title Configure settings in Cakewalk.ini above the parameter list.

Oh yes, you're right - I keep forgetting about that menu item in the Preferences.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Helene Kolpakova said:

The feature is about the Staff view, not PRV. It is to ignore the global snap settings in the Staff view. For PRV there's its own Snap Settings in the top right corner of the PRV. And it has nothing to do with the value of UseGlobalSnapForStaffView.

Thanks Helene...

That explains a lot! 😉

I was wondering as I've had a separate value in prv for a long time...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK... Some other issues with staff view snap after adding the new command in aud.ini... snap...

 

I did this after Helene reported that finally worked for her.

 

I will go back and try editing the cakewalk.ini file again to see if the results are different?

 

Now in staff view. No value smaller than 1/4 will insert.

My global is at measure. I tried using both the value in the toolbar and the values in Staff view itself.

Whole, half, and quarter all work but eighth, sixteenth, and thritysecond all insert 1/4?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, msmcleod said:

The setting is definitely read from Cakewalk.ini not Aud.ini.

To change it go to Preferences->File->Initialization File

All  UseGlobalSnapForStaffView=0 does is completely bypass the previous changes to the Staff View snap with regard to the global snap. With this setting set to 0, the Staff View does not look at global snap at all.... in other words the staff view goes back to how it was in 2020.05.

That's weird. LOL.

  1. I added the entry to cakewalk.ini via Preferences->File->Initialization File
  2. Closed CbB
  3. Updated and saved the Aud.ini to remove UseGlobalSnapForStaffView=0 from it
  4. Started CbB

And now no matter what I do, I can't get the old behaviour back, i.e. it's all broken for me and Global Snap is used all the time. I tried adding it back to Aud.ini as per my own comment above, but to no avail. There are clearly some bugs left around it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Keni said:

OK... Some other issues with staff view snap after adding the new command in aud.ini... snap...

 

I did this after Helene reported that finally worked for her.

 

I will go back and try editing the cakewalk.ini file again to see if the results are different?

 

Now in staff view. No value smaller than 1/4 will insert.

My global is at measure. I tried using both the value in the toolbar and the values in Staff view itself.

Whole, half, and quarter all work but eighth, sixteenth, and thritysecond all insert 1/4?

 

 

Good luck with cakewalk.ini, hopefully it's gonna work for you eventually. I'll try again tomorrow too. Tired of this for today.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Helene Kolpakova said:

Good luck with cakewalk.ini, hopefully it's gonna work for you eventually. I'll try again tomorrow too. Tired of this for today.

Thanks Helene...

 

I'm getting the exact same results in aud.ini or cakewalk.ini ...

 

I can't edit or insert any note values smaller than 1/4

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK... I admit that I haven't used staff view in a long time, But how do I replace a rest? I thought they auto changed when inserting notes but that isn't working either?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Helene Kolpakova / @Keni  -  Maybe some state is being persisted between switching this setting on/off:

Try this:

1. Go to File->Preferences->Initialization File
2. Set UseGlobalSnapForStaffView=1
3. Restart Cakewalk
4. Open the Staff View
5. Make sure Global Snap is set to "Snap To", and 1/32
6. Restart Cakewalk
7. Go to File->Preferences->Initialization File
8. Set UseGlobalSnapForStaffView=0
9. Restart Cakewalk

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i usually use Musescore, but in testing the Staff view w/ new settings done per @scook instruction re: Preferences, INI edit, value set to 0, then restart CwB.

i created a blank project and added a MIDI track, then opened staff view. set the global snap to 1/16th, set SV to 1/4. drew some whole, half, quarter, and eighth notes. seems like i can independently set the resolution of Staff view versus PRV.  i set the global value to 16th and the SV to 1/32nd and i can draw 32nd notes in the staff view on 1/32nd snaps. conversely i can draw 1/4 notes in PRV on 16th snaps. and 1/16th note on 1/16th snaps. setting global to 1/8th and SV to 1/4, in SV, i can see the contraction of notes (1/32 & 1/16) to fit the new grid.  i can only draw 1/4 notes in SV, but can draw 1/8th (and shorter) notes in PRV on 1/8th grid.

as some info: i was able to replace a rest with a note by clicking on the rest and it either replaced the rest entirely or added the note + a smaller rest.

not sure if this is how it's supposed to work but it's seem logical to me 🙂

 

as a follow up - i didn't try to reset the value to 1. will do so and report back.

Edited by fossile

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ok - so resetting the value to 1 - the resolution for the SV (1/16) now followed the global setting (1/8th) rather that the SV setting - in terms of drawing notes of a smaller grid, and expanding them did nothing to change the notes being drawn as overflow into other measures. changing global to 1/16th then allowed me to match the staff setting of 1/16th and draw the notes properly... as a bit of info: i generally don't use SV except to print some lead sheets or tab. i can see how the global grid versus SV grid lock-in would definitely be really annoying to folks who do use it extensively. so if this changes does unlock it, as i think it does, hopefully it will be useful...

Edited by fossile

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...