2020.09 Feedback

Morten Saether

35 minutes ago, fonolit said:

Bug report: 

In Markers view, the "lock" symbols do not appear in the "Lk" column  when the marker is locked.

It does for me.

0schvsn.png

I see that you posted an identical issue in the 2020.01 Feedback thread, so it might be something specific to you PC or perhaps a faulty theme issue. Unless you have Mercury or Tungsten selected, switch to one of those and see if that solves the problem. The padlock icon is otherwise found in the Theme Editor under the node Theme > Markers View > Marker Lock Indicator.

A few other peculiarities with the latest update I don't see listed:

- Beginning of fade on specific clips in takes does not start at the beginning of the clip if going back and forth.

- If adding audio track, saving screensets and then deleting audio tracks (to 0 present) you can no longer change screenset.

On 9/17/2020 at 11:20 AM, Canopus said:

It does for me.

0schvsn.png

I see that you posted an identical issue in the 2020.01 Feedback thread, so it might be something specific to you PC or perhaps a faulty theme issue. Unless you have Mercury or Tungsten selected, switch to one of those and see if that solves the problem. The padlock icon is otherwise found in the Theme Editor under the node Theme > Markers View > Marker Lock Indicator.

Ah, thanks, you helped me!

You are right, the lock symbol works in Tungsten and Mercury. It does not work under Blue Aston, which I use. So now I used Theme Editor to fix that manually for Blue Aston. Thanks for the tip!

(Yes, I posted it before. It was then fixed for Tungsten in 2020.04 (it is noted in Release Notes) and (I am not 100% sure but I think) it worked also in Blue Aston until last update.)

On 9/19/2020 at 2:16 PM, fonolit said:

You are right, the lock symbol works in Tungsten and Mercury. It does not work under Blue Aston, which I use. So now I used Theme Editor to fix that manually for Blue Aston. Thanks for the tip!

(Yes, I posted it before. It was then fixed for Tungsten in 2020.04 (it is noted in Release Notes) and (I am not 100% sure but I think) it worked also in Blue Aston until last update.)

Huh. I just checked one of my custom themes, and the Lock symbol isn't showing up there either! I've checked the theme in the editor and there is no obvious reason why the lock image wouldn't be visible. My theme does not have a custom image overriding the default.

If I edit my theme so that it does supply a custom image, and save the theme, the lock symbol now shows up in Cakewalk.

Now I have a theory that custom themes that were created prior to the 2020.04 update; and that did not specify a custom image for the lock symbol; will demonstrate the same issue....

I happen to have another custom theme that meets this criteria, and, yes, it exhibits the same issue.

UPDATE

We can't say we weren't warned - Morten posted about changes in 2020.04 and it included the Markers view change, and somehow I completely missed that specific thing.

SECOND UPDATE

The bug fix in 2020.04 has created a related issue in that themes created from Mercury no longer show the marker lock indicator (unless a custom image has been provided for it). I have submitted a bug report about this.

Edited by Colin Nicholls

Version 2020.09 is an unusable crash-fest for me. (Windows 8.1 Pro x64).

Just trying to do a simple mix with 16 audio tracks and only low cpu channel strips, EQs and comps resulted in several Audio Engine stoppages and 3 Cakewalk crashes (crash dump file attached) in the space of about 10 minutes.

Uninstalling 2020.09 and rolling back to 2020.08 fixed the issue perfectly and I was able to work on the mix without any issues at all.

Edited by RockinMillie
removed crash dump file

11 minutes ago, RockinMillie said:

Version 2020.09 is an unusable crash-fest for me. (Windows 8.1 Pro x64).

Just trying to do a simple mix with 16 audio tracks and only low cpu channel strips, EQs and comps resulted in several Audio Engine stoppages and 3 Cakewalk crashes (crash dump file attached) in the space of about 10 minutes.

Uninstalling 2020.09 and rolling back to 2020.08 fixed the issue perfectly and I was able to work on the mix without any issues at all.

crash_dump_09192020_223948.dmp 1.49 MB · 0 downloads

According to the dump, the crash is in the ice9 plugin.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, msmcleod said:

According to the dump, the crash is in the ice9 plugin.

Which doesn't cause any problems at all in 2020.08 😉

Cerberus Ice9 is a soft auto mute plug which sits at the very end of the master bus signal chain. It's saved my hearing on many occasions. It didn't activate in either mixing session (2020.09 or 2020.08) as I always mix with plenty of headroom, so I'm not sure why it would cause version 2020.09 to crash ...

Thanks for the crash dump decode though.

Edited by RockinMillie

Been seeing this issue few times in the arranger view:

1. Renaming a section (from within the  arranger sections tab, or from the section along the top of the prv) can cause the program to lock. After typing the new name you can't submit the new section name by pressing enter - it's ignored, but then you can't move the focus to elsewhere in the program as the area to enter the new name is modal. Only way out is to force close the app

Issue seems intermittent  - some times it works ok, sometimes not.

Version 2020.09 (Build 006, 64 Bit)

Windows 10

Intel i7, 12 Mb Ram

Edited by Matthew Carr

2 hours ago, Matthew Carr said:

1. Renaming a section (from within the  arranger sections tab, or from the section along the top of the prv) can cause the program to lock. After typing the new name you can't submit the new section name by pressing enter - it's ignored, but then you can't move the focus to elsewhere in the program as the area to enter the new is modal. Only way out is to force close the app

Windows 10

Intel i7, 12 Mb Ram

yep, same here. it's not consistent in when it happens. i've had it happen on 1 track project just entering sections - so only a few minutes in and only the arranger edits, and i've had it happen on large (40+ tracks) projects where i've been editing for a couple of hours.

one thing learned - crtl+s is your friend before touching the arranger icon...

I've been enjoying Cakewalk/Sonar for many years so thanks and keep up the good work.

I'm running 2020.09 (Build 006, 64 bit) and have run into something a little frustrating. I applied Audio-snap to a track and now I can't change the name of any of the tracks. Everything else seems to be ok but would like to call it something other than track 3 :)

Thanks!

The issue I reported in the 2020.08 Feedback topic is still present.

I activated the keyboard at the top of the window as recommended to take control of the Reason Rack and be able to write, but it's still the Cakewalk keyboard shortcuts that have the hand.
I did a test with Kontakt, and there I had no problems, I can write, but it's strange because with or without the keyboard icon activated, I can still write.
In short, there is a problem on my machine between the VST Reason Rack and Cakewalk.

I would like to report a drawing problem with the Sysex window (the DataGridView control).

When the Sysex window gets focus, it is slowly drawn on the screen. It happens only with that window and it also happens when the application gains focus with that window open.

I don't think that the OS and GPU matter in that case, but here is the info:

GPU: XFX GT240 512MB DDR5; Driver: 342.01

Resolution: 2560 x 1600

It happened with the previous versions as well, so this is an old bug.

Since upgrading to this release I'm unable to open Cakewalk. If I open directly from the desktop shortcut nothing happens. If I try to open from the Bandlab Assistant, I get the message: BandLab Assistant can not open C:\Program Files\Cakewalk\Cakewalk Core\Cakewalk.exe, Try to run app as an administrator. 

If I run the assistant as an administrator, it still does not open (same message). I've tried doing a full clean uninstall/reinstall per the docs, but it still happens. I had no issues prior to the upgrade.

Any ideas?

I just found out what would be a bug.
I wanted to update one of my old compositions which has instruments separated into audio and midi tracks, and by combining them into a single instrument track I noticed that something was missing from this track.
Indeed, when I wanted to add an automation on this track, I did not find in the list the parameters of the instrument, but only the basic midi parameters (expression, volume, pan ...).
Is this really a bug or would there be a trick to make my instrument's automation options reappear?

On 9/25/2020 at 4:19 PM, Matthew Carr said:

1. Renaming a section (from within the  arranger sections tab, or from the section along the top of the prv) can cause the program to lock. After typing the new name you can't submit the new section name by pressing enter - it's ignored, but then you can't move the focus to elsewhere in the program as the area to enter the new name is modal. Only way out is to force close the app

Windows 10

Intel i7, 12 Mb Ram

Same for me.

39 minutes ago, lychee said:

I just found out what would be a bug.
I wanted to update one of my old compositions which has instruments separated into audio and midi tracks, and by combining them into a single instrument track I noticed that something was missing from this track.
Indeed, when I wanted to add an automation on this track, I did not find in the list the parameters of the instrument, but only the basic midi parameters (expression, volume, pan ...).
Is this really a bug or would there be a trick to make my instrument's automation options reappear?

You need to reassign the plug-in automation to the instrument track.

To do this click on the synth in the synth rack and use the synth automation menu (J) or the insert soft synth options dialog (E)

Browser.11.1.png

This image is from http://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=Cakewalk&language=3&help=0x20234

• Like 2

2 hours ago, paulo said:

Please fix the undo quick unfreeze synth bug (hides track) while we are still able to install on win 7.

TIA.

Unfreeze synth this is a good point! Today I found out that all my settings were lost when I had unfrozen Strum Sesssion 2 in two tracks. This is really a pain! Good that I write down a lot of my settings in a text file for each song, so Iuckily I could recover the mess!

But more and more I get the feeling that it is better not to use freeze for instrument tracks, but instead bounce to a new audio track and mute the instrument track. Like that you avoid to have those +3dB problems with mono tracks and it is always possible to redo the instrument without losing the settings!