Americana....long time sense I have been here

William E Simmons

Old school never gets too old for people like me who were around when it wasn't old school. Great instrumentation in this  , especially the fiddle. You painted a nice clear picture of this story. It could be polished up a little , It's hard to get a nice fade out using Soundcloud they'll boost back up then cut it off.  Anyway , good job ! I am an Americana fan and really liked this one .     mark

Not too old school for me!

• I'd lose the snare drum count-in intro. It's a little heavy - handed compared to the smoothness of the rest of it.
  • Nice smooth voice; plaintive, comforting, solid, on pitch.
  • Love how smoothly the fiddle and steel / slide blends, very nice
  • I found myself a little confused by the beat.... like there was a different emphasis in the drum beat vs the rest of the instruments. I only noticed it a few times.
  • Beautiful fiddle at 2:30. Soulful and sad.
  • Recommend fading a little slower and longer - such a nice ride I didn't want it to end.

Really good!

Very very nice. Very listenable. I could hear this on True Detective.  Love the steel slide. 

Voice is really good. I personally might like it more upfront with a bit of grit (tube warmth or compression) but that is just a stylistic preference. 

What are your plans with this track? Are you shopping it?

Great job.  👍

Hi guys,

Thanks for all the kind words. I have just about finished up a complete re-write  of this. Real drum track.  Much better mix. I played the guitar on the new version. It may not be as good as Brent's ability to play but at least it's mine. I have a few more things to do and I will post it.

Sometimes it takes me a long time to decide if I like something I write. This one is very repetitive  in the harmonic structure. Songs like that are pretty rare to be liked by very many people, me included.

Thanks to Mark Skinner, Barry Seymour, Philip  G Hunt, John Maar, and Freddy J for responding.

Philip, as to your question about shopping it around...no I just do this for my own amusement and amazement. I use to write and play songs in hopes that the girls would like me...lol  Now I am happy if I like me...lol

Cheers,

Billy

• Like 1