Modx

Odell Shankle

if this has already been discussed I apologize in advance. I have MIDX 7 and i have been trying for months to get this thing to record into Cakewalk. I've contacted Yamaha and they sent me some video thats supposed to help because all it did was plug there own software. I have one song on Cakewalk that's almost complete. All I have to do is add a bass line and it's through if not I'll have to rewrite the song again and that song is 70 tracks. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Power Spec

Windows 10. I7

Samsung EVO 4TB

Steinberg UR C midi interface

XENYX Q802 Mixer

It looks to me like you would need to record the audio out of the Yamaha keyboard into your audio interface.  What audio interface (sound card) are you using?

I am assuming you want to record a bass sound directly from the keyboard or are you trying to just record the midi from your keyboard and then use an instrument on your computer for the bass sound?

I have a MODX, and record with it no problems... you don't specify if you can't record midi or audio, how are you connecting to the audio interface ? or are you using the modx as an audio interface? ... please provide those details so we can help you.

Edited by Grafo

Thank you for your response.  I’ve tried midi not wave. I tried an instrument track. The meters on the software moved and I could hear it coming back into the headphones but it would not record the signal. I’m going through a Steinberg 24C midi interface and a mixer.  Setup works perfect with Cubase

Well, i better tell you how I use it... I installed yamaha modx drivers first as I do use MIDI through USB. I don't use the modx as an audio interface, I connect the audio outputs to an interface (alesis multimix) and from there I record audio to cakewalk. 

In cakewalk I have enabled the Modx in MIDI devices (input and output for modx1, it also appears modx2 and modx3, you dont need those) so I can see those in the new midi tracks. That way each track in cakewalk has a midi channel assigned for recording and playback.

One thing to consider is that the MODX is always in performance mode, and some sounds use more than 1 midi channel, that means that you have to have a midi channel for each part in the performance, depending in how you have set the midi mode in the modx, for that part is better to read this link.

to record the audio, I set up an additional audio channel and use the input from my interface corresponding to the modx.

Edited by Grafo

I took a look at it via the owner's manual. You have a nice hardware synthesizer.  There are three ways you can use it with Cakewalk. It can be used as a sound module that takes MIDI from Cakewalk and generates audio that can be sent back to Cakewalk and recorded. Second, it can send MIDI to Cakewalk to be recorded as MIDI on a track much the same as audio is.  A third way is to play in real time and have Cakewalk record  the audio or the MIDI or both on tracks.  

The second way will let you use VSTis for sound. This gives you infinite sound possibilities.  

It all depends on how you connect the ins and outs of the Modx to the ins and outs of your sound card and MIDI interface. You will need both. Many sound cards have a MIDI in and out. If you have a sound card with MIDI built in and it can send and receive it than you wont need a separate MIDI interface. Also Modx has USB ports. These may be able to substitute for a sound card and MIDI interface. If it does than you will need to install drivers for it so Cakewalk can see it.  

The point is to connect the Modx so Cakewalk can see it. From there once you have recorded MIDI or audio into Cakewalk you can then edit or otherwise use it anyway you want.  

It appears you are connected and have a signal going from the Modx to CW. To record it set a MIDI or audio track to the input where the Modx is sending to. You must set the track to record. Unlike Cubase CW does not need or have input tracks any track can be an input by setting to record. Also it is vital you do not change the levels in Cakewalk. This must be done at the output of the Modx.  Keep the levels at unity in CW.  Unity is the normal position of the faders. It means there is no gain or attenuation of the signal.  The meter will be record meters and with the setup outline above will give you an accurate indication of the true level. 

When you are ready hit the record button on the transport and you should be recording. 

If you have further questions please ask them. 

I've had a MODX and current have a Montage (same basic hardware).

Both work fine with Cakewalk by BandLab.

The MODX USB connection can function as both an Audio Interface and MIDI I/O.

Many folks just use the USB connection for MIDI I/O... and use a separate (dedicated) Audio Interface.

On the MODX, go to Utilities>MIDI I/O, make sure MIDI In/Out is set to USB.

Connect the MODX via USB and load the driver (download the latest version from Yamaha).

Look in Device Manager (under Sound Video And Game Controllers)... and make sure the MODX is listed with no yellow exclamation points.

If you don't see the MODX listed in Control Panel>Device Manager, there's something wrong with the USB connection.   If it's not listed, as far as the machine is concerned, it doesn't exist.

If the MODX is listed in Device Manager, it's installed/working.

In Cakewalk>Preferences>MIDI Devices, make sure the MODX is enabled as both MIDI input and output devices.

Open a new project in Cakewalk.

Add an Instrument Track

On this Instrument Track, click on (enable) the Input Echo button.

Set the Instrument Track's MIDI input to be MODX>MIDI Omni

If you now play the MODX, you should see the Instrument Track's LED peak-meter showing activity (MIDI data is flowing to that track).

On 9/12/2020 at 4:37 AM, Odell Shankle said:

Thank you for your reply. Now if I understand this your only using audio for the MODX.  How would you set the system up to use VST. Can you use VST or do all your sounds come from the keyboard? Can you use the instrument insert or just go audio for midi?

Thanks

of course, If i want to use it to control a VST I just set an instrument track with the VST and set the input of this track to the modx. Again be careful with which channel you have selected in the modx, because if you set the VST set to listen to channel 1, and you have selected the 2nd part on the modx, the modx transmits on the 2nd channel; is better to select the first part or the name of the performance. This is one quirk  of the modx that I don't like, besides that you can't set the midi channel of a part, it is fixed.