New to Cakewalk - please be gentle with me!

captainchaosx2

Question

Hi,

I love making songs (usually film soundtrack type stuff) and have just got Cakewalk - it appears really complicated compared to what I used before, but to start with, I'd just like to ask a couple of things, if that's okay!

Can I create a song/tune note by note, instrument by instrument. Basically starting with nothing & building up an obviously epic song with every separate note/sound created by me?

Are there a lot of different sounds available on the initial download? Drumkit/bass/piano/synth/rhythm guitar (distorted probably)/lead guitar for solos etc. etc. can I (and how) download extra sounds/effects?

Any answers will be gratefully received - thank you in advance!

Ian

1 answer to this question

3 hours ago, captainchaosx2 said:

Can I create a song/tune note by note, instrument by instrument. Basically starting with nothing & building up an obviously epic song with every separate note/sound created by me?

Yes you can.  That is how I have used Cakewalk (various version up to Cakewalk by Bandlab) for the last 32 years

For me, the Piano Roll View is my method of choice.  The staff view is fine, but I find that too restrictive.

3 hours ago, captainchaosx2 said:

Are there a lot of different sounds available on the initial download? Drumkit/bass/piano/synth/rhythm guitar (distorted probably)/lead guitar for solos etc. etc. can I (and how) download extra sounds/effects?

Yes.  There is TTS-1 which contains many instruments.  There is SI-drum kit which gives you rudimentary drums.  These will be enough to get you started

There are also some effects included.

After a while, however, you will find yourself wanting third party instruments for added realistic sounds.